Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Gran Sport triple chainring

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-21, 04:17 PM
GLT

Bikes: Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a vintage Raleigh Gran Sport with all the original components. Is it possible to install a triple chainring in order to make it more suitable for hilly terrain and my age (in my 60s)?
As I understand it, it is not possible to install a different freewheel with more speeds (currently 6 speeds). Looking on e-bay and various forums, I couldn't find a definite "yes" or "no".
The other option may be just to buy a more contemporary bike and to keep the Gran Sport only for flat terrains.
Old 03-14-21, 04:49 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 346 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
GLT -
If your Gran Sport has the original Stronglight 93 crankset with the plain alloy chain guard, you are already set up to triple the crankset as the axle and fixing bolts are triple sized on your current configuration. Change the chain guard for an outer toothed ring and add the two inners to your choice. However, this will not be easy since these old chainrings are getting rare. Much easier is to buy a 37 T inner ring from Red Clover Components and just do a simple bolt on.
Old 03-14-21, 04:49 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,073 Posts
Originally Posted by GLT
I have a vintage Raleigh Gran Sport with all the original components. Is it possible to install a triple chainring in order to make it more suitable for hilly terrain and my age (in my 60s)?
As I understand it, it is not possible to install a different freewheel with more speeds (currently 6 speeds). Looking on e-bay and various forums, I couldn't find a definite "yes" or "no".
The other option may be just to buy a more contemporary bike and to keep the Gran Sport only for flat terrains.
Yes you can put a triple chainring on most any bike ever made. You can also put on a larger freewheel, so stop listening to whoever told you you can't! Except the bigger freewheel and/or smaller front chainring (granny gear) will require your derailer to handle more chain wrap, and that might exceed the capacity of the existing unit.

Pictures or detailed specs on the current parts would allow us to be more specific.

Some Gran Sports came with a Stronglight 93 crankset with a toothless outer ring as pants guard. Is that the crank you have? If so, good news, it means you already have the longer crank spindle for a triple. You just need to move your current large chainring to the position currently used by the pants guard. (Pants guard will probably need to be "disguarded", though there is a trick to save it if you really like it.)

Then you replace the current small ring with a "triplizer" ring from Red Clover. This becomes the middle ring of the triple, and the granny ring bolts to the triplizer. You can then use as small as 24 teeth for the granny, a huge improvement compared to the existing gear. Not the cheapest way to go, but it keep the bike as close as possible to original.

If you don't have that special Stronglight crank, with 2 chainrings on a triple spindle, then you might have to replace the crank bearing/spindle (bottom bracket) to get the longer, triple spindle. Buying used stuff like on ebay can make this pretty cheap but a certain amount of knowledge is needed. For example with many brands of vintage cranks, it's not obvious which length of spindle you need. Even a lot of bikeshop mechanics will lack the necessary knowledge, because its before their time. Asking questions here is probably your best bet.

Good luck,
Mark B
Old 03-14-21, 05:15 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,327 Times in 783 Posts
Originally Posted by bertinjim
GLT -
If your Gran Sport has the original Stronglight 93 crankset with the plain alloy chain guard, you are already set up to triple the crankset as the axle and fixing bolts are triple sized on your current configuration. Change the chain guard for an outer toothed ring and add the two inners to your choice. However, this will not be easy since these old chainrings are getting rare. Much easier is to buy a 37 T inner ring from Red Clover Components and just do a simple bolt on.
Also possible with the Nervar Star; Star BCD rings are even less common but if you have 'em, use 'em - plus a Stronglight can be modified by hand with a file to fit the Star BCD.
Old 03-14-21, 05:56 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
As the others have pointed out, there are lots of ways to mod an old bike to make it suitable for hill climbing. A picture of your bike from the drive side would let us give you better advice. The site won't let you post pics until you have 10 posts but you can load pics to your profile and we'll post it to the thread.

If you have a stronglight 93, you could buy and install a stronglight 99 which will let you run smaller chain rings than a 93.

The point is that there are lots of ways to make your bike better for climbing hills.
Old 03-14-21, 06:01 PM
GLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It has the Campagnolo Gran Sport crankset and there is no chain guard.
Old 03-14-21, 06:12 PM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by GLT
You can triplize it. Here is the middle chain ring:

https://www.redclovercomponents.com/..._42_Teeth.html

The inner is 74 bcd which is easy to find.

You'll likely need a longer axle or just get a sealed square taper bottom bracket in the right length.

Your rear derailleur may not be able to handle this much chain. What kind of a rear derailleur do you have?

Lucky you to live near those mountains. It's fun retrofitting an old bike for climbing and yeah that doesn't get any easier the older we get.
Old 03-14-21, 06:22 PM
GLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gran Sport PICs added

Thank you for all the quick replies! I was pleasantly surprised to receive so many feedback in such a short time. Thanks, again.
I've just added some photos in my profile showing some details of the bike.
Old 03-14-21, 06:37 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by bikemig
You can triplize it. Here is the middle chain ring:
But only if the OP's crankset is the 5-arm Gran Sport. If he has the 3-arm version, which Raleigh did use on some models, then his choices don't go smaller than 36t — not without some difficulty anyway. Here's a pic of my Campy 3-arm crank (steel version) that I triplized to take a TA Cyclotouriste inner, 26t minimum:

That can be done on the alloy 3-arm version too, but it's a lot of work and not worth it unless there's sentimental value. Much easier to just source a "native" triple crank.

Mark B
Old 03-14-21, 06:37 PM
bikemig 

It's a later Gran Sport than the one that came with a Stronglight 93 crank. Yes the 144 bcd triplizer will work. You will likely need a longer axle.

The rear derailleur will need something like this to handle the triple:
https://www.somafab.com/archives/pro...ur-cage-plates

That's a very pretty bike. Fix it up and keep riding those mountains.

Old 03-14-21, 06:45 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Originally Posted by GLT
I've just added some photos in my profile showing some details of the bike.
Ah, I didn't see your post until after I replied about the 3-arm crank. I see now your crank is the 5-arm, so you'll be good to go with a Red Clover triplizer ring, a longer spindle, and any 74 mm inner ring of your choice.

You can also get the Soma Rally-style long cage that bolts right onto your derailer, which will give you the needed extra chain take-up to allow the triple chainwheel.

OP's pics from his profile album:

-Mark B
Old 03-15-21, 07:43 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by GLT
Which version of the Gran Sport crank? Campagnolo made at least three different Gran Sport cranks; one with 3 arms and a 116mm BCD, one with five arms and a 116mm BCD, and the third with five arms and a 144mm BCD.

The five arm, 144mm BCD crank would be the easiest to convert, as there are tripilizer rings available. The others could be problematic.
Old 03-15-21, 08:34 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,195 Times in 962 Posts
...and as bulgie recommended the Soma long cage conversion for your Gran Sport RD, it will allow you to move up to at least a 32T and possibly a 34T sprocket on your Suntour (my best guess from the picture) freewheel. I'll post a picture shortly of my set-up which is similar (Photobucket is down at the moment).

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 03-15-21, 08:53 AM
IsleRide

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by bulgie
Ah, I didn't see your post until after I replied about the 3-arm crank. I see now your crank is the 5-arm, so you'll be good to go with a Red Clover triplizer ring, a longer spindle, and any 74 mm inner ring of your choice.

You can also get the Soma Rally-style long cage that bolts right onto your derailer, which will give you the needed extra chain take-up to allow the triple chainwheel.

OP's pics from his profile album:

-Mark B
Was going to suggest switching to a compact double but budgie's advice is spot-on.