Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Reynolds wheel experience?

Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Old 03-18-21, 03:03 PM
tedder987

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Hi all, I am a light-heavyweight clyde (~210 lbs) and I am looking at some reynolds 41mm deep wheels. They only have 24 spokes, but the support people at Reynolds said it won't be a problem.

Has anyone here got any experience (direct or a friend-of-a-friend) with how robust their wheels are and whether I should worry about the low spoke count?

FWIW I ride about 4-5k miles per year. My front wheel (24 spoke) has 19,500 miles on it but is getting noodley. Over the same distance I have had 3 rear wheels. First one (24 spoke) replaced under warranty after 2k, always flexed noisily climbing. Second (32 spoke DT 350 hub with DT 520 rim) has ~ 12k miles on it but also has always flexed noisily when I am out of the saddle climbing. Third (Mavic allroad elite, 24 spoke) was good and quiet for about 5000 miles, but now also flexes audibly when climbing. The 32-spoke was rebuilt once and retensioned once after that but has always been noisy.
Old 03-18-21, 05:28 PM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Not too much help, but I knew a guy about 5 years ago that was always in the 90-100kg region that rode Reynolds carbons without issue.

On another note, are you sure it's your wheel that is causing you issue in the rear and not your frame flexing? I have a Ridley frame permanently mounted as a trainer bike. When I was using a Kurt Kinetic wheel on trainer I had to remove the rear brake as the frame flexed so much it would rub, even with the caliper wide open. No longer a problem with direct drive trainer, so do bear in mind that you could be blaming the wrong suspect
Old 03-18-21, 06:07 PM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well I have been wrong before, blaming my bottom bracket for what turned out to be wheel flex (in the first, warranty returned wheel. The warranty paid to build the 32 spoke ). The frame is a 2017 Spz Roubaix btw. I am pretty sure it not the frame though because when the stock was new and the mavic was new, things were quiet (3 months stock, a year for the mavic which I bought while the 32 was being built). Spokes flexing against each other sounds like any other creak or click though so I could be wrong again.

I am pretty sure my front wheel is flexing now (retensioned last Oct) because what I hear with it is the brake pads touching the disk (out of the saddle, 38x34, 8% or above grade) but it goes away when I sit down (faster out of the saddle efforts have enough wind or other noise that I haven't noticed it).

p.s. the 32 spoke rim was a DB511 (not 520)
Old 03-20-21, 04:39 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 867 Times in 443 Posts
I have a set of Reynolds 81 and they have a weight limit of 195lbs, so had to stop using they years ago. I did use them when I was 205-210 and could notice the wheel flex when sprinting or climbing out of the saddle. .
Old 03-20-21, 07:41 PM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Well hopefully I didn't make a mistake as I ordered them before I saw Zipp2001's response. I will update this in a month or two (if I don't forget).

FWIW Reynolds seem to think 250 lbs is an OK rider weight for these. I know that deeper rims are supposed to be stronger. (and I will be using 32mm tubeless) so we will see what happens.
Old 03-20-21, 11:02 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
I've been running them for about 2 yrs so far. Now finally running them tubeless w/ Conti GP5000TR and no issues yet.
Currently about same weight. Not much flex, the flex there makes the ride nice on them.

Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.
Old 03-22-21, 09:55 AM
tedder987

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
jsigone, glad to hear they are working for you. Great looking bike too btw. I am going to set them up tubeless from the start because I didn't have any tubes with a long enough valve on them (and my old tires had a lot of miles on them)
Old 03-25-21, 04:30 PM
TrojanHorse
SuperGimp

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 147 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by jsigone
I've been running them for about 2 yrs so far. Now finally running them tubeless w/ Conti GP5000TR and no issues yet.
Currently about same weight. Not much flex, the flex there makes the ride nice on them.
How do you get the tubeless valves mounted on a carbon wheel? Genuinely curious.
I have an older set of Reynold's Assault (48mm I think) that I used when I was as plump as 240. Never had an issue and they're 18x24 spokes. I did get them trued slightly after a crash but no peep out of the wheels since.
Old 03-25-21, 04:38 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
TrojanHorse the reynolds came with super long tubeless valve tubes. I just changes the factory tape to Stans yellow x 2 wraps. Been good so far!! Using conti GP5000 TR

https://hayesbicycle.com/products/re...ess-valve-stem
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.