Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Denali value

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bianchi Denali value

Old 03-24-21, 07:44 PM
ellburrito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bianchi Denali value

Went mountain biking for the first time on a friend's Transition Spur this week, now I'm trying buy an MTB myself. Slightly lower budget so I'm looking at this Bianchi Denali on Craigslist:
​​​​
Components look like:
Rear derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
Fork: Marzocchi Bomber (not sure of model)

Is this a solid bike or would it be worth it to invest a little more on something newer?

Old 03-25-21, 01:03 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2749 Post(s)
Liked 2,516 Times in 1,422 Posts
That is a roughly 20 year old bike. it all depends on the condition. If the fork needs a rebuild I am guessing parts will be really hard to find. If everything works well and it is very inexpensive... it should get you into the sport. But MTBs have come a loooooong way since this bike was made.

For its time, the LX components are solid performing. The Bombers were mostly -but not all - really good forks the time,
Old 03-25-21, 05:27 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
After coming off of a Transition Spur you will be disappointed with mountain biking after riding that 20 year old bike. It's going to be so apples and oranges.

The Transition Spur is a $6000 bike. What do you mean by "slightly lower budget"?
Old 03-25-21, 06:52 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

How much do they want?
Old 03-25-21, 08:20 AM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,119 Times in 743 Posts
That was a nice bike in its time. I cant tell the exact model year but the parts would suggest early to mid 2000’s

if the price was right, a bike like that would be worth tinkering with. Its a Bianchi, although an alloy framed one. Bianchi’s have a following due to the amount of roadies who are familiar with the brand

The bike will get you on thetrails and may very well be allyouever need, depending on your usage and trails. It can also be a Nice way to further evaluate the sport and see if you wanted to spend bigger box someday and get a machine similar to the transition you spoke of. But there are a lot of people who are still pretty happy riding their old 26 inch rigid bikes, Guys who don’t have any racing or performance riding aspirations who just want to get out into the back country and have a good time

regarding value - i wouldnt want to pay over $200 for that bike considering the fork may (or may not) need a rebuild which is a question mark. Its clean and would be worth throwing a little time at it though

Last edited by DMC707; 03-25-21 at 08:27 AM.
Old 03-25-21, 09:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

It is worth noting that we are still in a COVID economy for used bike. If you have not looked for or bought a bike in the past year, you might be shocked what stuff if going for. I wouls normally say not to spend over $200 on that bike, but in the current market, You would be lucky to get it for $300 if the fork is still functional. At least around here.

Over the summer, as I looked for used MTBs with a friend, year-old lightly used mtbs were going for 80% new prices. I sold a 2 year old used bike that cost $1400 new for $1k.
Old 03-25-21, 10:04 AM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2965 Post(s)
Liked 1,165 Times in 762 Posts
I love the Facebook market place posts where someone is trying to sell a slightly used bike for MSRP or even worse...more than MSRP. The best part of those posts is seeing people rip the poster a new ass for trying to sell at those prices.

I understand that we have a supply demand issue in the bike industry right now, but It's not great enough to inflate bike prices.

I just ordered a brand new Trek Domane 2 weeks ago. It came in last Friday and will be ready for pickup next week. Friend of mine ordered a Giant Trance Advanced 29 x in early March and he just picked up it last week. Bikes aren't that unavailable if you know where to look.
Old 03-25-21, 04:33 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
It actually looks pretty clean for what it is. From what I can see, the stanchions look good and the lowers aren’t beat up.

If it has few miles on it and rides nice, it will still be old tech, but it will get you riding. And if you can learn to ride it well enough, you’ll be able to really charge on a new bike.

John
Old 03-25-21, 06:24 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

When stems were as long as bars were narrow.
Old 03-25-21, 09:25 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Similar style bike (actually an early 90's era rigid with a Bomber fork added).
Is it the best mtb you could have? No.
Can you still have fun? Yes.
Video from today's ride.