Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stem compatibility?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stem compatibility?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 06:42 PM
Cassopher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Stem compatibility?

I’m building an Allez Sprint and stems are very hard to come by. I have a Tarmac stem that was a takeoff from an SL7 and I was wondering if it is compatible. Thanks for any input.
Old 03-29-21, 08:12 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 513 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 335 Posts
Except for newer Giant, threadless stems clamp to a 1 1/8" steerer and a 25.4 or 31.8 mm handlebar. Except 35 mm super size that now seems only to be used on downhill and enduro mountain bikes. If in doubt, use a caliper.

Different stems have different stack heights at the steerer, so when replacing, be prepared to change the spacer stack.
Old 03-30-21, 08:19 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
If the hole for the steerer tube is the same size and the steerer tube comes up the required amount then you should be good. Same thing on the handle bar side, unless you want to use different bars.

If you have them, try them. But only if you know how to properly put a threadless stem on. Park tool makes some decent instructions and vids if you don't know.
Old 03-30-21, 09:49 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2599 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Pretty good bet the old stem will clamp onto the steerer, 1 1/8" is pretty common. But take a caliper and measure your bars (and perhaps the bar of the bike the stem came off) to see if it's compatible. You can get a spacer if the bars are smaller than the stem, but not much you can do about the other way around.