Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday pocket gnu for touring?

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-21, 05:31 PM
HeffyD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi everyone,
I am looking for some advice regarding a pocket gnu bike. I have an opportunity to get one used, and I’m wondering if it would be a good choice for touring. Most of my riding will be on roads with some offroad gravel and dirt thrown in. I will traveling in a variety of courses including Australia NZ and South America.

my concern is the front shock that comes from a company that I believe is out of business (action tec). My concern is the durability of the shock and finding replacement parts for it. Anyone have any experience regarding these bikes? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-05-21, 08:25 PM
Nyah
QR-disc must die!!!

Bikes: '99 Trek 520, '20 Kona Sutra (FOR SALE 48cm), '21 Simon-Bikes mini-velo and a chromoly-framed folding bicycle with drop-bars and V-brakes, that rolls even while folded.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
I hadn't heard of the Pocket Gnu but, the few photos that I can find of it look like a New World Tourist with a suspension device on the fork crown. I'd contact Bike Friday to see if they recommend a chromoly, non-suspension fork as a replacement and are willing to provide one (I'd think a NWT fork would work). If the answer to either question is "no", I wouldn't buy the Pocket Gnu.
Old 04-06-21, 05:55 PM
HeffyD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for your response! I did like you suggested, and they said they could build a custom fork for it, for about 175 US. This would bring the cost up to about $1450 Canadian. I think I'm going to hold out to find a used New World Tourist. I don't need it until next February.