Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on belt-drive and/or IGH?

Search
Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-21, 04:42 PM
walterbyrd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts

I have been looking at Brilliant/Priority bikes lately. Lots of people love them.

But I have been reading some negatives. In particular:
  • difficult to change back tire
  • frictional loses from belt & IGH
Any thoughts appreciated.
Old 04-09-21, 09:49 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by walterbyrd
I have been looking at Brilliant/Priority bikes lately. Lots of people love them.

But I have been reading some negatives. In particular:
  • difficult to change back tire
  • frictional loses from belt & IGH
Any thoughts appreciated.
If you like the bike, and the gearing is appropriate for where you ride, I wouldn't worry about any of those things. You won't notice any frictional losses unless you ride it, then quickly convert it to a standard chain drive/ derailleur setup, and ride again. As for changing the rear tire, once you learn how, it isn't an issue, and it isn't something you will be doing every day, or week for that matter.
Likes For phughes:
Old 07-01-21, 07:09 AM
metro2005

Bikes: Cube travel pro

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I bought my first bike with belt drive and IGH 3 years ago and i'm never going back to a chain. The belt itself doesn't have any significant frictional losses, those come from the IGH so keep an eye out for an efficient IGH (there are big differences!) when you buy a bike.
On my bike at least (cube travel pro sl) i can easily change the back tire. Getting the belt off is also quick and not very difficult (and you don't get greasy hands). As for longevity, i've already done twice as many miles without changing anything on the drivetrain compared to a chain and the belt and sprockets still like fine and i expect it to last at least 4 times longer than a chain (and that would be a chain with good maintanance).
Especially if you ride in bad weather and bad conditions often (rain, snow, salty roads) i can highly recommend a belt drive. The slighly less efficient IGH as compared to a derailleur is a small price to pay for the advantages of a belt.
Old 07-09-21, 08:05 PM
Rick

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 619 Post(s)
Liked 389 Times in 272 Posts
I have had a Co-Motion Pangea Rohloff for over 7 years now. As stated the frictional differences aren't going to be noticeable. Without the chain and derailleurs your going to ride the bicycle with less worries. How to take the wheel on and off will depend on which internal geared hub is on the bicycle you choose. You just have to become familiar with how to do it because it will be different. Your owners manual will be helpful and you may be able to find info on you tube.

walterbyrd: Tell us what model you are going to get.
Old 07-10-21, 08:28 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,795 Times in 3,307 Posts
You should be able to fit on a bike with a belt drive and/or IGH with no issues.

Why do you think those will make a difference to how you fit on the bike?

Or did you not read what this sub-forum is about?
Fitting Your BikeAre you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.