Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Never heard this one before!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Never heard this one before!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-05, 09:17 AM
egonlou

Bikes: Specialized Roubeaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got one once that made me feel pretty good when waiting at a light.
"Holy sh#t, look at the size of your calves"
Old 10-03-05, 09:39 AM
pinkrobe
DNPAIMFB

Bikes: Titus El Guapo, Misfit diSSent, Cervelo Soloist Carbon, Wabi Lightning, et al.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got "Nice ass!" from some girls one time, so I stood up and gave 'em a little show.
Old 10-03-05, 10:27 AM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by egonlou
I got one once that made me feel pretty good when waiting at a light.
"Holy sh#t, look at the size of your calves"

Hahaha. Priceless.
Old 10-03-05, 11:42 AM
CBBaron

Bikes: Pugsley, fixie commuter, track bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by oboeguy
You folks must live out in Bumblebutt, USA. In "sophisticated" NYC bike riding is pretty normal, if not universally appreciated.
Yea that pretty much describes nearly all of the midwest. Ofcourse you have to remember the economy of the midwest has been dominated by the automobile. Riding a bike instead or until recently driving a foriegn car was an insult as it meant you were taking jobs from these people or someone they knew.
Craig
Old 10-03-05, 01:44 PM
RabidCyclist
What's the speed of dark?

Bikes: Madone 5.9 SL with Brooks Team Pro Saddle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joejack951
I got a "Good job" from a driver yesterday who followed me up a relatively steep hill. I replied with "Thanks" as I usually try to treat most comments from driver's as positive ones. I figured she was complimenting both my commitment to commuting and my pedalling prowess When I mentioned it to my girlfriend, the first thing she thought of was "Did she think you were a kid or something?" Who knows, maybe she did which would make the comment quite amusing to me. Almost makes me want to get a t-shirt printed with "Yes I'm 26 and I still ride a bike."
The first time I heard "Good Job" was when I was cranking up a 6 mile long hill with up to 14 precent incline and a cycle club was racing down the hill in the opposite direction. Since then I've heard it, and used it in the same context. It has nothing to do with thinking you're a kid or anything like that. The driver was a cyclist and understands the effort it takes to get up the hill.
Old 10-03-05, 02:59 PM
The Octopus 

Bikes: Dolan Forza; IRO Jamie Roy; Giant TCR Comp 1; Specialized Tri-Cross Sport; '91 Cannondale tandem; Fuji Tahoe MTB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Haven't gotten the "no car" comment yet, but I'm sure it's only a matter of time.

I ride through a poor neighborhood on my commute and several times I've gotten comments from pedestrians indicating that they think I'm a cop. "Yo, Detective!" or "Hey, it's the poooolice!" What makes this so funny is that I wear lycra and carry a messenger bag, and my ride is distinctly not a heavy MTB labeled "police."
Old 10-03-05, 06:43 PM
chizlr40

Bikes: cannondale,trex,schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
starter commuting 5 years ago mostly to get back in shape after several years off the bike. the price of gas lately has made me laugh out loud at these drivers. ride on.
Old 10-03-05, 07:53 PM
Cyclaholic
CRIKEY!!!!!!!

Bikes: several

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 687 Times in 365 Posts
Recently a few adolescents yelled out the Aussie equivalent of '******', I caught them at a red light after a good sprint, dripping sweat and breathing hard I said to them in a calm but firm voice "c'mon then, get on a bike and see how long you can keep up with me in traffic, or do you need a car where I'm running on muscle power.... so who'se the ****** then eh?"

They had no idea how to respond to that.
Old 10-03-05, 08:12 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mehow
I think that they will increase for that very reason.
Lots of glass in the bike lane, also.
Old 10-04-05, 06:10 AM
kb0tnv

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not the weirdo commuter anymore. I finally got bike racks at work. There hasn't been a mass use of them. Only some gal I haven't seen or met that rides a *mart bike. She is very trusting since she doesn't even lock it up. Fortunately I got them to put the racks in front of the security / visitor enterance. About 300 people work in my location and only three people biking (I know of another guy). I think it will take much higher prices to get more commuters out there in my neck of the woods. But I have seen more overall in my daily rides. At my work it is very "autocentric". There is a large parking lot. I haven't seen a big increase in motor bikes yet either. So it has yet to really start making people change. I do see a few more people waiting for rides. I think some people will just stop getting that six pack or extra six pack of beer before actually riding a bike.

Keep Cycling!