Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What defines riding a century?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-10, 08:35 AM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

This year I hope to complete a century ride and I am wondering what actually constitutes a 100 mile ride. That is, in what period of time must one complete the 100 miles? Have ridden 51 miles in about 5 hours on my comfortable but heavy (38 lbs) Schwinn hybrid, if I took 10 or 11 hours to do 100 miles could I still consider that a century?

Actually planning on using my road bike which should give me a little extra speed.
Old 01-20-10, 08:59 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you are asking about an organized Century as long as you ride the 100+ miles you have done a century. Some of them have time limits but that is only for SAG support and rest stop workers.
Old 01-20-10, 09:06 AM
livin4eternity
... and lovin today

Bikes: Actionbent Jetstream 3; Giant Rincon; Jamis Dakar XLT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Is a centrury always measured in miles or can you count kms? Or must those be specified as "metric centuries"?
Old 01-20-10, 09:20 AM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To me, if your focus stays on the ride and you complete 100 miles, it's a century. If you stop for a two hour nap I think your stretching it. I don't think it's time to complete as much as intent, and you're the best judge of that.

Count kms?, why not just count feet and get it over with
Old 01-20-10, 09:25 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by livin4eternity
Is a centrury always measured in miles or can you count kms? Or must those be specified as "metric centuries"?
A metric century is 100kms.

A "traditional" century is 100 miles (162km). When someone says "a century", 100 miles is assumed.

Since my bike 'puter is in kms, then for me to ride "a century" I have to reach 162km on it.

Try not to get to caught up in "how" it is measured, these terms are sort of a language, based on tradition, and anyone new to cycling would have to learn this "language."

Maybe "have" is a strong word, it is not like your forced, but you would have to become accustomed to it.

Edit:
As to time it gets kinda tricky; Excluding timed events - I think that if you complete it in "one sitting" - it is a century. Now that doesn't mean you cannot get off your bike, or even take a nap, but when you start the ride, you complete it. Not stop, go home and complete the next day.
It is a grey area and not easily defined without SOME loophole.

Last edited by digger; 01-20-10 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-20-10, 09:30 AM
Robert Foster
Banned.

Bikes: Lapierre CF Sensium 400. Jamis Ventura Sport. Trek 800. Giant Cypress.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When searching for events in the US they are divided as Centuries and metric Centuries for the greatest part. There is quite a difference between 100 and 62+ miles. That last 40 miles makes a lot of difference to your body. At least it does for me.
Old 01-20-10, 09:39 AM
digger

Originally Posted by Robert Foster
When searching for events in the US they are divided as Centuries and metric Centuries for the greatest part. There is quite a difference between 100 and 62+ miles. That last 40 miles makes a lot of difference to your body. At least it does for me.
Yup. For me 100kms, no problem, do one almost every weekend.

Once I start getting to 130ish kms, I start to get....uncomfortable. So "a century" requires a bit of preperation for me and adjustment to riding style - relaxed pace.
Old 01-20-10, 10:14 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I would say there is a time limit. 24 hours.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 01-20-10, 10:23 AM
DieselDan

Location: Beaufort, South Carolina, USA and surrounding islands.

Bikes: Cannondale R500, Motobecane Messenger

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Should be 100 miles in one ride with reasonable breaks for food, hydration, nature, traffic, and mechanical breakdowns.
Old 01-20-10, 10:55 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Quoted: 5466 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
Originally Posted by dewaday
If you stop for a two hour nap I think your stretching it.
Closest I've gotten - 75 miles - I stopped for water and ended up snoozing for about 20 minutes on a trailside bench. Had my helmet for a pillow. I vaguely remember people riding by and kind of chuckling at me.
Old 01-20-10, 10:56 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
Only if you have lights.

Take it this would be the first organised ride for you and you will find that this will bring a bit of pace to your riding. But go at your pace and enjoy.

Get yourself up to around 70 miles and then you will be able to do 100 miles.- Providing you eat enough- drink enough and do the 70 miles oftem enough.

Spike Milligan
Old 01-20-10, 11:25 AM
digger

Originally Posted by Artkansas
This is a very interesting topic. It is curious to read that you apply a time limit of 24 hours. I don't necessarily disagree, but the perspective is interesting.

So lets say I ride the first half of that century from 2pm to 6pm on day 1. Go home, sleep and complete the next part of the ride from 7am to 11am.

To me, that's 2 seperate rides, but falls within the 24 hour window that Artkansas mentioned.

What if I ride 3 hours, take a break for 7, ride 3, break 7, then ride another 3 to finish, that totals 23 hours. Is that all that one ride, or 3 seperate rides?

I'm pretty sure I know what you mean Artkansas, the ride has to be completed within a day, which is technically 24 hours but really means within 1 period of daylight, no sleeping or unreasonable extended breaks.
Old 01-20-10, 12:03 PM
Keith99

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Personally I'd go with does it feel like one ride? I don't consider a centruy any big deal perhaps it is becaseu I did a organized double before an organized century.

To me a huge break in a ride would not keep a ride from being a century. If I rode to the beach and spent a few hours there I'd still condifer it a century (or since I don't care more like tell my riding partner, yes that counts if you want it to).

What I would count as 'breaking' the century is if I stopped to rest for a prolonged period, and even there a lot would depend on if I 'needed' the rest or if it was just so peaceful somewhere that a nice nap seemed good.
Old 01-20-10, 12:04 PM
Sculptor7

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Seems like it was a fair question judging from the active response. Guess for me personally, any stops for mechanical needs, food, hydration, toilet breaks and brief rests not exceeding 20-30 minutes would be acceptable. If I end up taking a two hour nap I think I would feel like I had compromised the achievement. On the 51 mile ride I stopped for about 20 minutes for refreshment about halfway through. Also a few momentary pauses to examine the roadside fauna.
Old 01-20-10, 12:11 PM
digger

Originally Posted by Sculptor7
Also a few momentary pauses to examine the roadside fauna.
Now just a gal-dang minute!

You stopped to look at flowers and animals? On no, my friend, this is unacceptable and considered a HUGE departure from the accepted norm. You've comprimised your ride and it would NOT be considered a century.

Tsk...tsk...tsk.
Old 01-20-10, 12:18 PM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by digger
Now just a gal-dang minute!

You stopped to look at flowers and animals? On no, my friend, this is unacceptable and considered a HUGE departure from the accepted norm. You've comprimised your ride and it would NOT be considered a century.

Tsk...tsk...tsk.
Aw now, he did say fauna. I say as long as it was just animals he's okay, flowers would be beyond the pale. We need a ruling body for these sorts of controversies.
Old 01-20-10, 12:21 PM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1350 Post(s)
Liked 1,243 Times in 621 Posts
Stopping more then twice ( too p) on a 100 mile ride should Void the Century title.

Old 01-20-10, 12:23 PM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
^^^he said "Void"
Old 01-20-10, 12:28 PM
digger

Originally Posted by dewaday
Aw now, he did say fauna. I say as long as it was just animals he's okay, flowers would be beyond the pale. We need a ruling body for these sorts of controversies.
I respectfully disagree. Stopping to smell the roses or to feed, pet or sodomize the animals is strickly forbidden.

Stopping to poke a dead carcass is acceptable, but only when the carcass is obviously 3 days old or more.
Old 01-20-10, 12:40 PM
dewaday

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What if I (hypothetically speaking), were to sodomize the roses and feed the carcass? Would the time factor come into play?
Old 01-20-10, 12:43 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm surprised how often this comes up, as though there were some cutoff--if you can't do it under X hours, it's not really a century.
At least from my standpoint, if you do it in essentially one shot, it's a century. Rest stops and even meals are fine (one of our local clubs does a century with a full, multi-course buffet at about 60 miles, roast beef and dessert and everything). Stopping for the night in a Holiday Inn probably makes it two rides.
My first century, at age 44, took me eight hours. I've done faster ones since, but I just turned 65 and probably won't match them again. But if I start at 7 a.m., ride 100 miles and finish at 7 p.m., I'm going to say, loudly and clearly, that I rode a century.
I'll probably mumble the time, though.
Old 01-20-10, 12:44 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
You shouldn't sodomize carcasses if they've been dead for more than 3 days. Stick to the fresh ones.
Old 01-20-10, 01:01 PM
digger

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
You shouldn't sodomize carcasses if they've been dead for more than 3 days. Stick to the fresh ones.
No, no no, no, no, no

It is forbidden to sodomize the LIVE ones to count as a full century

But it is okay to POKE the dead ones to count as a full century.

Ugh, I mean really, YOU people....
Old 01-20-10, 02:30 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6219 Post(s)
Liked 4,218 Times in 2,365 Posts
Originally Posted by Sculptor7
This year I hope to complete a century ride and I am wondering what actually constitutes a 100 mile ride. That is, in what period of time must one complete the 100 miles? Have ridden 51 miles in about 5 hours on my comfortable but heavy (38 lbs) Schwinn hybrid, if I took 10 or 11 hours to do 100 miles could I still consider that a century?

Actually planning on using my road bike which should give me a little extra speed.
Since you are the one pedaling, you can decide the rules

Some organized centuries might have time limits...the Leadville 100, for example, only gives belt buckles out to those who finish under 12 hours. When the League of American Wheelmen were doing sanctioned centuries in the 1890's, I think the cut off time was 10 hours...on an Ordinary That puts mountain biking's toughness to shame...not to mention modern geared 16 lb super bikes

But if you are doing this on your own, it's between you, the clock and your bike computer.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 01-20-10, 02:43 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Personally, I'd say it means riding 100 miles in a single calendar day.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.