Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bianchi Serial Number Identification

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-20, 10:31 PM
Dr Bianchi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Bianchi Vittoria

Hello folks i am new member here i got this bianchi last month any idea what year is this just finish cleaning ,polishing and replace the seat and chain.

Last edited by Dr Bianchi; 03-17-20 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-22-20, 04:23 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Victory group means 1985+; also see https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...h-bianchi.html for a sibling
Old 01-22-20, 06:16 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Bianchi
Hello folks i am new member here i got this bianchi last month from facebook market place any idea what year is this just finish cleaning ,polishing and replace the seat and chain.
It's a 1985 Bianchi Vittoria. 1985 was the only year for the Bianchi Special by Columbus tubeset.
Old 01-22-20, 06:23 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Hello and welcome to the forums. Tells us a bit more about it. Is there a tubing decal? What brand and model components are on it?

Does it look like this? It is around an '83 and made in Taiwan, they were pretty nice bikes and I am looking for it's '94 purple sister

This one is heavily modified.
That's not a 1983 model. I suspect you meant 1993.
Old 01-22-20, 08:59 AM
martl
Strong Walker

Bikes: too many

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 482 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
It's a 1985 Bianchi Vittoria. 1985 was the only year for the Bianchi Special by Columbus tubeset.
Also it seems to be a very original specimen in very good condition, so congratulations are in order i wonder how many survived with the blue rubber rings on the brakes intact?
Old 01-22-20, 09:47 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by martl
Also it seems to be a very original specimen in very good condition, so congratulations are in order i wonder how many survived with the blue rubber rings on the brakes intact?
Let alone how many Bianchi from this period survive with an intact model name decal!
Unfortunately, the tubeset decal didn't survive the repair stand. However there are aftermarket replicas available.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 01-22-20, 10:24 PM
Dr Bianchi

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 14 Posts
Thanks T-Mar
Old 02-05-20, 08:51 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Don Buska
Here's a few pictures of my 81/82 Bianchi SPORT SS - It's in Metallic Copper color. Nothing has been done to this bike except dusting it off! Notice it has original Bianchi labeled tires that still have lots of tread life in them. I plan on using this on my trainer stand, but will remove the rear tire and save that for real road driving only! I live near Chicago so it may be a couple more months before this sees the outdoors

Any help identifying the tubing label "AR" in my previous posting please let me know.

Attachment 435848 Attachment 435850 Attachment 435851 Attachment 435852

Oh BTW, I removed all the reflectors and bagged them. I'm not a reflector person.
Don, I know you're still around, so I thought I'd resurrect your post from my sabbatical period. I think you'll agree that the subject bicycle is pretty basic for the era with stamped dropouts, no shift lever bosses, brake safety levers, 27"rims, swaged crankset and a rear derailleur with a steel parallelogram. In other words, it's fairly typical of upper entry level.

I believe that AR stands for Alta Resistenza, which translates literally to high resistance, which means high tensile steel. Rinforzati translates to reinforced, which means butted. Manufacturers started using butted, high tensile steels in the mid-1970s on upper entry level models and lower mid-range models. It was lighter than plain gauge steel, but less expensive than chromium-molybdenum or manganese-molybdenum alloys. They started to disappear in the very early 1980s with the advent of butted, carbon-manganese alloy tubesets. The 1982, Japanese manufactured version of the Sport SS used a butted, carbon-manganese tubeset.

If you still have the bicycle, it would be interesting to know the seat post diameter. It may raise the confidence level in my theory. Also, I don't believe that you ever posted the serial number, which I would appreciate having for my database. TIA.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 02-05-20, 09:17 AM
Don Buska

Location: Milwaukee-Chicago (Last stop on the North Shore Metra Line)

Bikes: 1975 Fuji 'The Finest', 1975 Fuji Super Road Racer S10-S,1980 SR 10-Speed, 1980 Fuji Newest, 1984 Araya 14-Speed, 1985 Bridgestone 500, 1986 Fuji 'Sekkei Series', 1995 Gary Fisher Kaitai MTB

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 131 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Don, I know you're still around, so I thought I'd resurrect your post from my sabbatical period. I think you'll agree that the subject bicycle is pretty basic for the era with stamped dropouts, no shift lever bosses, brake safety levers, 27"rims, swaged crankset and a rear derailleur with a steel parallelogram. In other words, it's fairly typical of upper entry level.

I believe that AR stands for Alta Resistenza, which translates literally to high resistance, which means high tensile steel. Rinforzati translates to reinforced, which means butted. Manufacturers started using butted, high tensile steels in the mid-1970s on upper entry level models and lower mid-range models. It was lighter than plain gauge steel, but less expensive than chromium-molybdenum or manganese-molybdenum alloys. They started to disappear in the very early 1980s with the advent of butted, carbon-manganese alloy tubesets. The 1982, Japanese manufactured version of the Sport SS used a butted, carbon-manganese tubeset.

If you still have the bicycle, it would be interesting to know the seat post diameter. It may raise the confidence level in my theory. Also, I don't believe that you ever posted the serial number, which I would appreciate having for my database. TIA.
Oh my T-Mar I'd written this question off many years ago and it was one of my early bike purchases before I had established a decent understanding of what I was really looking for. Thanks for the information of the tubing. Yes, even at the time of the purchase I didn't even consider the stamped dropouts being a major indicator of placement in the quality hierarchy. I've learned a great deal since then Thankfully I do keep spreadsheets on all my bikes so getting information on everything is easy. The S/N is BS18874 and the seat post is 26.8. Today I knew it was most likely hi-ten steel as the base bike came in just under 27 lbs. Early on I did upgrade it to the 1st Gen Suntour Cyclone line and changed to a much better SR Aerox crank set. However, I haven't really ridden the bike in the past few years and do plan on selling it. I kept all the original components and will return it to that setup (Suntour 7 series and that cheaper SR crank) and sell it off this Spring. Since it's still like new condition I should be able to get my original expenditure back on it, as it sure is a pretty looking bike for the casual user who want a nostalgic bike from the past.

Thanks again for the details on the bike. It may not be the lightest, but it is indeed nicer than the 30+ lb Sears/Penny's variety
Old 02-05-20, 10:53 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Don Buska
Oh my T-Mar I'd written this question off many years ago and it was one of my early bike purchases before I had established a decent understanding of what I was really looking for. Thanks for the information of the tubing. Yes, even at the time of the purchase I didn't even consider the stamped dropouts being a major indicator of placement in the quality hierarchy. I've learned a great deal since then Thankfully I do keep spreadsheets on all my bikes so getting information on everything is easy. The S/N is BS18874 and the seat post is 26.8. Today I knew it was most likely hi-ten steel as the base bike came in just under 27 lbs. Early on I did upgrade it to the 1st Gen Suntour Cyclone line and changed to a much better SR Aerox crank set. However, I haven't really ridden the bike in the past few years and do plan on selling it. I kept all the original components and will return it to that setup (Suntour 7 series and that cheaper SR crank) and sell it off this Spring. Since it's still like new condition I should be able to get my original expenditure back on it, as it sure is a pretty looking bike for the casual user who want a nostalgic bike from the past.

Thanks again for the details on the bike. It may not be the lightest, but it is indeed nicer than the 30+ lb Sears/Penny's variety
Don, thank-you for the update and additional info. FYI, it's a Japanese manufactured frame from February 1981, so it's a 1981 model. Based on the Japanese origin, year and seat post diameter, my leading candidate for the Bianchi AR tubeset is Ishiwata 0265. It was a double butted high tensile tubeset that used a single butted seat tube with a 26.9 mm inner diameter. That's perfect for a 26.8mm post. There was a comparable Tange tubeset but Ishiwata is more common on Bianchi of the era.
Old 02-09-20, 08:24 PM
runlebec

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
New to the forum and I'm trying to put together a bike my son got that had been made into a cycle cross bike. There is a 2L stamped on the right side of the seat tube, and 466 on the left side. There is also "GIPIMME" on the dropouts. I am curious as to the year etc and what type of bottom bracket threads it may have.

Thank you for any suggestions.
Old 02-17-20, 02:24 PM
runlebec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by runlebec
New to the forum and I'm trying to put together a bike my son got that had been made into a cycle cross bike. There is a 2L stamped on the right side of the seat tube, and 466 on the left side. There is also "GIPIMME" on the dropouts. I am curious as to the year etc and what type of bottom bracket threads it may have.

I got both sides of the bottom bracket out. It is a 70mm shell and has Italian threads. One side was really tough to remove. I'm still curious about the year though.
Old 02-17-20, 02:58 PM
T-Mar

The serial number and location indicates that it was manufactured in Italy during 1982, though it could be a 1983 model. Bottom bracket threading should be Italian (36mm x 24TPI).
Old 02-17-20, 05:39 PM
runlebec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you, I will post a picture if I ever get to 10 posts...
Old 03-08-20, 04:24 AM
Clancy1

Bikes: Colnago CT1 Colnago Master Olympic Colnago Tecnos Colnago C40 Breadwinner Lolo Tommasini Prestige Rourke 953 Strong XCR Richard Sachs SL Canyon Ultimate 7 Bianchi Limited 84 Dean El Diente CTI Malvern Star 5 Star

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1 2
Old 03-08-20, 04:24 AM
Clancy1

Bikes: Colnago CT1 Colnago Master Olympic Colnago Tecnos Colnago C40 Breadwinner Lolo Tommasini Prestige Rourke 953 Strong XCR Richard Sachs SL Canyon Ultimate 7 Bianchi Limited 84 Dean El Diente CTI Malvern Star 5 Star

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 03-08-20, 04:27 AM
Clancy1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quick call out to TMar and co, Its an 89 model and I think it may have been a custom made frame due to the extra code on the BB. does anyone have any ideas of its background ?? cheers Cam
Old 03-08-20, 09:14 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by Clancy1
Quick call out to TMar and co, Its an 89 model and I think it may have been a custom made frame due to the extra code on the BB. does anyone have any ideas of its background ?? cheers Cam
As stated in your other thread, this appears to have the engraved/etched head emblem and other traits that are consistent with an X4.
Old 03-08-20, 09:31 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts
I got both sides of the bottom bracket out. It is a 70mm shell and has Italian threads. One side was really tough to remove. I'm still curious about the year though.
Was it the one on the 'drive side' aka right side? They are called fixed cups and are torqued on pretty tight. They can come loose if not properly re-tightened when installed.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 03-08-20, 09:49 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,491 Posts
Originally Posted by Clancy1
As stated in your other thread, this appears to have the engraved/etched head emblem and other traits that are consistent with an X4.
Where is this or more importantly where did you get it from? I don't like to get involved in X4 debates because I suspect they were specced mush differently in different markets. I kinda agree with T-Mar on this except for the rear triangle. Very few Bianchi frames sported chromed triangles in the US market prior to '92ish and the ones after that time normally had vertical dropouts. Whether chrome was offered on x4s in other markets I am not sure but they are normally in Celeste or the black/Celeste "Argentine" scheme. There is the possibility that these frames were chromed under the paint (I can't recall if Bianchi did that for sure but I seem to recall a nasty scratch on my '88 Super Leggera's fork that had chrome showing through) and that whoever repainted the frame left it bare. If the chrome won't shine up and stay shiny like a 59 Cadillac's bumper this is likely the case.

The TSX decal is dubious as well but the only TSX reference I know off the top of my head is from the '93 Reparto Corse catalog and has completely different frame features.

RATZ! I was going to say something else but I was proof reading it got lost.

Of course just after I hit post. To my knowledge the only customizing Bianchi ever offered to individual buyers was a change in top tube length on the early Columbus MAX frames but IIRC it might added like 6+/- months to delivery time. Customizing may have been different when they had sponsorship agreements with local shops and teams and they ordered a large number of frames.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk

Last edited by Bianchigirll; 03-08-20 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-09-20, 09:41 AM
runlebec

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Was it the one on the 'drive side' aka right side? They are called fixed cups and are torqued on pretty tight. They can come loose if not properly re-tightened when installed.
It was the one on the left side, it had a little rust in there and I worked it back and forth with some Kroil sprayed in there to get it loose.
Old 04-14-20, 10:09 AM
neill mackay

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sn number

Originally Posted by Big.Bird.01
Hi I own a bianchi Reparto Corse with a very similar s/n number mine is 0901340101 and wondered if you found any details on the cycle as the s/n deos not conform to what other forums say
regards neill mackay

I've got an Alloy/Carbon Fork Reparto Corse I bought in 2004 off my neighbour who had too many bikes and he said it was pretty good although I didn't pay much for it. I've used it off and on and replaced various components but I'd be interested to know what the original spec is and if I could get replacement decals for it.

SN on the bottom bracket is 0901340315 - stickers say handmade in Italy but various internet forums say this might not be the case.

Another sticker says: "Advanced Aluminum Technology Lite Alloy Double Butted Bianchi Engineered Heat Treated Mega Pro Concept"

It's getting a bit like Triggers broom - Its had new shifters, rims, spokes, chain, cassette, handlebar is chopped and bull horned and spd pedals on it now - but apart from that its all original!

Any info you might have on the origin/spec/value would be appreciated.

Cheers Pete
Hi I own a bianchi Reparto Corse with a very similar s/n number mine is 0901340101 and wondered if you found any details on the cycle as the s/n deos not conform to what other forums say
regards neill mackay
Old 04-23-20, 04:06 PM
jako3344

Bikes: Specialised HydroDisc Crosstrail 2019 Black/Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
bianchi model and age identification

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I am in the process of buying my first road bike and I am hunting for a vintage Bianchi.
I have found something which I would probably buy, but before I do that I would like to know what is the model and year of production for this bike.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am trying to upload pictures from my hard drive not urls and I cannot do it. I am getting message that I cannot post urls until I have 10 posts.

The serial number from what I can see is B*9 (top row) 1282 (bottom row)

Can someone help?

Old 04-24-20, 06:37 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by jako3344
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, so forgive me if I am doing something wrong.

I am in the process of buying my first road bike and I am hunting for a vintage Bianchi.
I have found something which I would probably buy, but before I do that I would like to know what is the model and year of production for this bike.

Thank you in advance for your help.

I am trying to upload pictures from my hard drive not urls and I cannot do it. I am getting message that I cannot post urls until I have 10 posts.

The serial number from what I can see is B*9 (top row) 1282 (bottom row)

Can someone help?​
Welcome tot he forums. Based in the serial number, in conjunction with the Columbus Cromor decal, the subject bicycle is a 1989 mid-range model. I don't know the name as this is a European model, based on the decal style. The equivalent USA model was the Campione d'Italia, though the only thing in common is the frame. I'm not aware of Gian Robert still being in the derailleur business in the very late 1980s. and these look like earlier derailleurs, so I suspect the bicycle has been rebuilt at some point.

Link to the OP's photos: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/picture/17581570
Old 04-24-20, 07:26 AM
jako3344

Bikes: Specialised HydroDisc Crosstrail 2019 Black/Blue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome tot he forums. Based in the serial number, in conjunction with the Columbus Cromor decal, the subject bicycle is a 1989 mid-range model. I don't know the name as this is a European model, based on the decal style. The equivalent USA model was the Campione d'Italia, though the only thing in common is the frame. I'm not aware of Gian Robert still being in the derailleur business in the very late 1980s. and these look like earlier derailleurs, so I suspect the bicycle has been rebuilt at some point.
Thank you very much T-Mark,

This puts some light on it.

The current owner claims that it's the 1982 model. If anyone else has some more ideas please feel free to share it.

I have updated the album with pictures, so the link above might not work. Please check my album for reference.

bikeforums.net/g/album/17581421

Thank you!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.