Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Somone school me up on Zwift please

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-18, 06:03 PM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts

So I went through the "Zwift support" video, and their page about what is needed for set-up, but it doesn't appear it really covers "everything". This is what I've got... a standard trainer, Garmin 510 w/speed&cadence, HR strap. For devices I have an old iPhone 6 in a drawer or, my current Android (which Zwift doesn't even mention as an option, but is available in the play store), a Roku Stick and/or an older (w/o Bluetooth) Apple TV. I think, based off what I've read, I would need an ANT+/BLE bridge device (easy enough, they're all over Amazon). I also think due to no BLE on the older Apple TV/Roku, I may be able to cast Zwift from my phone? It seems like I've got all the ingredients (minus the bridge), I just need some guidance in putting together this meal. TIA.
Old 11-13-18, 03:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
I've got an ANT dongle, and a Garmin Bike Speed Sensor and Cadence Sensor, and a laptop, and a HRM, and an old fluid trainer, and a bicycle ...

And I'm riding with Zwift. Quick and easy.
Old 11-13-18, 05:30 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked 305 Times in 217 Posts
What do you mean by a "standard" trainer? As Machka said, with any kind of wireless cadence, heart rate and speed (or power) sensors, you can get on Zwift with any trainer. If you wanted power to be part of your training, you would have to have a power meter on your bike or that would have to part of your definition of a "standard" trainer.

But if you want the pedalling to automatically get harder when you are going uphill, you will need a "smart trainer" which can be controlled over ANT+ and/or Bluetooth. Those all include acting as a power meter, so you don't need one on your bike.

Cycling tips had a pretty good startup guide last year - here.
Old 11-13-18, 06:06 AM
redtires
Extra Medium Member

Bikes: Fezzari Empire; State 6061 Allroad gravel; Scott Spark; Specialized Status 140

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 17 Posts
That was a great link JP, thanks. I had forgotten I have a dongle around in a drawer too, probably two. As far as "standard trainer", yes, as Machka referred to it as "an old fluid trainer", i.e. not a "smart trainer". Interesting note in the article regarding having to extend the dongle closer to the speed/cadence source. I'd like to cast to the TV of course, but I think if I'm on a mac with Safari, I should be able to shoot it directly to my older Apple TV.
Old 11-14-18, 01:47 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by redtires
That was a great link JP, thanks. I had forgotten I have a dongle around in a drawer too, probably two. As far as "standard trainer", yes, as Machka referred to it as "an old fluid trainer", i.e. not a "smart trainer". Interesting note in the article regarding having to extend the dongle closer to the speed/cadence source. I'd like to cast to the TV of course, but I think if I'm on a mac with Safari, I should be able to shoot it directly to my older Apple TV.
Yeah, I've found the dongle needs to be within about a metre of the speed/cadence source.