Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Publicbikes.com on Craigslist

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-10, 06:59 AM
cyclingd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

saw an ad in craigslist.

https://publicbikes.com/c/fall-Blues

Any opinions? Think quite expensive for a retro new bike.
Old 09-22-10, 11:11 AM
chi-james

Bikes: team miyata, '73 p-14, MB-3, centurion lemans, Mystery TT, mongoose atb '85

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclingd
Think quite expensive for a retro new bike.
eh? seems reasonable to me. what should the price for a retro new bike be?
Old 09-22-10, 08:23 PM
fixed1313

Bikes: '76 Raleigh Grand Prix,' 75 Raleigh Sports, '69 - '73 Raleigh Drop Bar 3-speed, '59 Parliament, '52? Raleigh Sports, '75 Raleigh Super Course, Surly Cross Check, Bridgestone RB-1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice looking bikes............price seems fair to me.
Old 09-22-10, 10:43 PM
M_S

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Not too many details on specs that I can find, unless I'm not looking hard enough
Old 09-23-10, 10:24 AM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Specs show a lot of house brand components so it is hard to tell what their quality is. Absent that, it would be tough to evaluate value.
Old 09-23-10, 10:29 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I think they're pretty expensive. But take that with a grain of salt: I don't understand why anybody would buy a three speed bike. I know it'll work in a flat place with a little bit of wind ... but it seems like a more general purpose bike would be able to do all of the same things, and a lot more, for a pretty similar price.
Old 09-23-10, 12:29 PM
BM1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree, seem nice but too expensive. Felt has a line (Cafe I think) that is very comparible for about 40% less.
Old 09-23-10, 02:06 PM
modernjess
ride for a change

Bikes: Surly Cross-check & Moonlander, Pivot Mach 429, Ted Wojcik Sof-Trac, Ridley Orion. Santa Cruz Stigmata

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen them in person at a my LBS, they look great but have not gotten to ride one. The price seems fine to me. Espeiclaly the deal they have going now. $595 for an 8speed IGH all in.
Old 09-23-10, 02:19 PM
boro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't understand why anybody would buy a three speed bike.
Looks, for one. While "ease of maintenance" has been a big part of sales campaigns for IGH bikes as of late, I don't think anybody can deny that it looks much more aesthetically pleasing to the uninitiated. That was part of the whole allure of the fixed gear bike for hipsters, too.
Old 09-24-10, 10:34 AM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 2342 Post(s)
Liked 2,842 Times in 1,548 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I think they're pretty expensive. But take that with a grain of salt: I don't understand why anybody would buy a three speed bike. I know it'll work in a flat place with a little bit of wind ... but it seems like a more general purpose bike would be able to do all of the same things, and a lot more, for a pretty similar price.
IMHO the 3 speed is the epitome of general use. Simple, easy to maintain, dependable, fenders. chainguard. Very few areas are so hilly that more is needed.

as for cost... A $200 bike from 1982 would cost close to $500 today....so the price point seems consistent with a reasonable level of quality. It is just that for some reason people expect bikes to be cheap not reflect inflation.

Old 09-24-10, 11:19 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by boro
Looks, for one. While "ease of maintenance" has been a big part of sales campaigns for IGH bikes as of late, I don't think anybody can deny that it looks much more aesthetically pleasing to the uninitiated. That was part of the whole allure of the fixed gear bike for hipsters, too.
I think you're right, and that's a big part of it. Of course there's a danger, that everybody will start fondling your bike!

Originally Posted by squirtdad
as for cost... A $200 bike from 1982 would cost close to $500 today....so the price point seems consistent with a reasonable level of quality. It is just that for some reason people expect bikes to be cheap not reflect inflation.
Digital cameras have pulled a 180 on inflation. Apples and oranges, I know, and it has a lot to do with amortized R&D ... I'm just saying that people have got used to a strange consumer scene. People don't "need" to buy a new bike every couple years the way they do with plasma flat screens and smart phones and whatnot, and bikes provide a "real" and durable value.

Still, I don't understand why someone might pay $700 for one of these when a CX bike can be had for the same price. I see these and think "I could have some fun with that ... but I'd be very limited." They do look nice, though, and I'm sure if I was hauling groceries I wouldn't want to go very fast or take any steep hills.
Old 09-24-10, 03:25 PM
boro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
But that's the thing... everyone still has a mountain bike from a decade ago. Did everyone need to go out and buy a bike with disc brakes and a MX fork? Probably not... but that's how our economy works: when you don't manufacture something with immediate obsolescence (i.e., computers), you have to "improve" on what has been offered recently. "Vintage style" 3-speed bicycles might seem like a downgrade to a capable cyclist with a bike they like, be that bike 10 or 20 years old, but for a 'consumer' it's a different story.

North Americans are obsessed with buying an image, and what image do those bikes portray? 1. My bike is stylish 2. I don't 'have' to wear spandex and a cycling jersey to ride it 3. My bike is 'utilitarian' (whatever that means)

That image is worth big bucks. Kids didn't run out in droves to buy skateboards back in the '90s because they thought it would be good exercise, or a convenient mode of transportation, or because they wanted to challenge themselves in a new sport - they did it because it was a popular image that you could buy (or so they thought). And like those skateboards, I am inclined to believe that in a few years more than a handful of these "new old" bikes will be relegated to the closet or shed just like everything else that people buy to secure an image.

Will more people be riding bikes if said bikes adhere to a popular/trendy aesthetic? Probably, and that's a good thing, but the bike industry would die out pretty quickly unless it A) reinvents itself with new products or B) manufactures a product with immediate/fast obsolescence
Old 09-24-10, 04:12 PM
sonatageek

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Funny, they posted an ad on our local CL and left an angry message on their voice mail. I really have when companies SPAM CL in multiple cities. To my mind that is a bad business practice which violates CL usage rules and sours me them as a company.
Old 09-27-10, 08:44 AM
cyclingd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I weighed my late 60's 3 speed yesterday, and it's only 3-4 lbs heavier. I guess it's filling a niche for new bikes.
Old 09-28-10, 12:31 AM
monsterpile
This bike is cat approved

Bikes: To many to list...

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The problem with these bikes is just as a couple others have stated. It seems they are kinda pricey, but I suppose not too ridiculous. The local used bike store that specializes in retro rides could get you into a real vintage bike for less money than any of these (especially when you add shipping and putting this together) and it would have a much better image if thats what people are looking for. There bikes do look fun and so are their accessories. Its overpriced, but fun I guess. They are probably finding a nice niche selling locally and trying to expand. Bottom line for me is I could buy a whole fleet of 3-speeds for the price they are asking for one of these. =)
Old 09-29-10, 01:18 AM
jeisenbe

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8 (2009), Western Flyer 3-speed (1970's ?), Schwinn Breeze

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sure, you can get a working, used 3-speed for $150 at a cheaper bike shop or on Craigslist / Ebay, but if you are new to bikes you might not know if it was in good shape. Cheaper used bikes at garage sales usually would cost $100 of labor, plus parts, to fix up at a bike shop, if you don't have tools and ability to do the work yourself.

And a used 3-speed bike will surely have scratched paint, a few worn parts, and some bad features like steel rims, weak brakes, probably heavy hi-ten steel frame and components. Public is selling a slightly lighter bike, due to some alloy components and the 4130 Chrome-moly frame and fork, and it has modern brakes, a modern Nexus 3-speed (much nicer for newbies than the durable but finicky Sturmey Archers from years past), and of course good looks.

$650 is pretty cheap compared to a pair of designer jeans or handbag, and very cheap next to a new Vespa scooter, or a new car. And one of these 3-speeds will be more useful and comfortable than a fixed-gear.

Personally, I went the Craigslist + upgrade route on two 3-speed bikes, but I've spent a couple hundred on parts and repairs (new Shimano 333 hub; they wear out; new shifting cable, new brake pads and cables, new chainwheels and cogs to lower the gearing, new grips, rack, basket....), and the paint is still scratched and rusty, and the bearings could use replacing...

I spent $850 for a Breezer 8-speed (with hub dynamo), which is great, but for many people a 3-speed would be perfect, if it is geared low enough. And I'm glad Public is selling some new 3-speeds that appeal to people who would otherwise be buying a fixie, or a Vespa or something.