Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Can you shift up several gears with brake lever shifters?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 03:29 PM
Tickstart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've found it invaluable to skip gears when accelerating from a standstill, you're on the biggest cog (I just have gears in the back), put the power down, when you reach the power limit you slam on the shiftlever (bar end shifter) skipping 2-3 gears and keep on the power. Really gets you off the line quickly, cars can't keep up.

I know you can gear down several indexes at a time with most brifters, but what about up? I'm not sure I should be enjoying my shifters so much but honestly they are superior in so many ways..
(I don't want to start a flame war, I have tried brake lever shifter and I do like them, they are convenient and pretty cool. But a bar end shifter is much more intuitive, just pull it to shift down and vice versa. Plus, a brake-only brake lever will always feel better than a unit serving more purposes.)

Ultimately my question is, are there brifters that allow for quick shifting in both directions?
Old 04-20-15, 03:42 PM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Campagnolo flagship shifters (chorus and up) do this, and until the redesign all campagnolo shifters did this. That feature is invaluable to me since I can keep a similar gear ratio but switch from large to small chainrings with one shift motion. It make it easier to hold speed going into a climb, and the inverse makes it easier to get in the right gearing to go back downhill. I really miss it when I ride my commuter (shimano 105), but I built it with the parts I had. All bikes and shifters I buy from now on will have campy or receive a retrofit immediately. Di2 and EPS also do this, but I don't want a robot bike.
Old 04-20-15, 03:46 PM
GhostSS

Bikes: 2012 Switch Performance BlackSkin LE Urban, 2013 Leader 725, 1975 Fuji America, 1990 Giant Cadex 980c, 1986 Peugeot PH10LE, 1995 Trek 2120 Carbon ZX

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
Yeah there's a CX shifter that does that (sort of). Retroshift CX works with Shimano cassette spacing.

Project Any Road: Retroshift CX2 Shifters Long Term Review
Old 04-20-15, 03:59 PM
Flyingblind9

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 5 105

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano systems require you too press the lever every time to move to a faster gear. I guess the only way to skip many is to use your chain rings if getting ahead of vehicles and muscle it out.
Old 04-20-15, 04:04 PM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
racing cars dude, just keeping it real

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-20-15, 04:08 PM
carlcurry

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yep, one of reasons Campagnolo Ergo users won't even consider anything else (Chorus and above). I do this everyday while commuting, using a track stand at lights. Initial acceleration 17 to 15, then 15 to 13 (or to 50/19). All while out of the saddle. People think I'm fast, which of course I'm not. That and the fantastic comfort of the levers. BTW I'm mostly talking about bikes who I want to 'earn' sitting on my wheel, not cars.
The Shimano option is to go to Di2. Might be a nice reason to upgrade if you really 'have' to have it.

Last edited by carlcurry; 04-20-15 at 04:24 PM.
Old 04-21-15, 07:30 AM
Fly2High

Bikes: 2014 Specialized Secteur Sport

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I stand corrected.

Last edited by Fly2High; 04-22-15 at 06:24 AM.
Old 04-21-15, 07:40 AM
CafeVelo

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac, Nashbar CX, Trek 2200 trainer bike, Salsa Casseroll commuter, old school FS MTB

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Sora, like all shimano sti, can shift to a larger cog up to three at a time (pulling cable), the op is asking about shifters that can shift to a smaller cog (releasing cable). High end Campagnolo does this, up to five cogs at once.
Old 04-21-15, 07:55 AM
Lazyass

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 2432 Post(s)
Liked 641 Times in 398 Posts
Get a vintage bike with downtube shifters.
Old 04-21-15, 08:18 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Of course OP, if you had a double up front, you could accomplish that with a front shift. Start on the small ring and the rear cog that you actually want to end up on when the front is on the big ring. Then do your shifting thing in the front. The effect would be just about the same, a three of four cog change depending upon whether you had a standard or compact crank up front. Compact would give you about a 4 cog change, standard about 3.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-21-15, 09:54 AM
jsk

Bikes: Trek Madone, Blue Triad SL, Dixie Flyer BTB

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shimano Di2 can multi-shift in either direction with a single button press. You can even configure the speed and optionally set a limit for how many gears in one shift.
Old 04-21-15, 10:33 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18459 Post(s)
Liked 15,704 Times in 7,382 Posts
I never knew I had a problem until I read this thread. Thank God for BF. Sometimes it's as good as WebMD.
Old 04-21-15, 10:46 AM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
This is why I like downtube shifters....we've lost functionality with brifters- which some consider to be "progress".
Old 04-21-15, 10:50 AM
rpenmanparker 

Bikes: 1990 Romic Reynolds 531 custom build, Merlin Works CR Ti custom build, super light Workswell 066 custom build

Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Quoted: 6556 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I never knew I had a problem until I read this thread. Thank God for BF. Sometimes it's as good as WebMD.
Even worse, sometimes it's not.

Originally Posted by LAJ
No matter where I go, here I am...
Old 04-21-15, 11:11 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
Campagnolo flagship shifters (chorus and up) do this, and until the redesign all campagnolo shifters did this. That feature is invaluable to me since I can keep a similar gear ratio but switch from large to small chainrings with one shift motion. It make it easier to hold speed going into a climb, and the inverse makes it easier to get in the right gearing to go back downhill. I really miss it when I ride my commuter (shimano 105), but I built it with the parts I had. All bikes and shifters I buy from now on will have campy or receive a retrofit immediately. Di2 and EPS also do this, but I don't want a robot bike.
Yup. 10-speed Chorus was (still is, actually) perfection.
Old 04-21-15, 12:32 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
This is why I like downtube shifters....we've lost functionality with brifters- which some consider to be "progress".
I would take modern shifters, allowing me to shift while out of the saddle, 1 shift at a time, over downtubes any day.
But with Campy, I get both features.

Disclaimer: As other mentioned, some lower Campy models have less multi-shift function (3 up,1 down instead of 5+ up ,3 down). Depends on the model & year.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 04-21-15, 12:50 PM
Vicegrip

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Stucky
I have bikes with downtube, thumb, cable and electronic brifters and I will take brifters, cable or electric over DT any day. Even slight thinking ahead negates the positive aspect of a downtube shift and yoi get the many positive aspects of brifters not present with DT. Go di2 and have all the positive aspects of brifters and DT. DT works just fine but the fact is modern systems have more to offer for today's riders.
Old 04-21-15, 12:59 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 21 Posts
Originally Posted by CafeVelo
I have fifteen-year-old Record 9-speed with the multiple-cog upshifting on my "town" bike, and ten-year-old Centaur 10-speed with the single-cog upshifting on my workhorse rider. And to be honest, I don't miss the multiple-cog upshifting. Maybe it's because I don't race? I find I can shift up three or four gears pretty quickly with three or four clicks of the thumb.

I even find that having to modulate your thumb pressure to get the desired action with multiple-cog upshifting can be a slight annoyance. I wonder what it's like in racing when you can't afford to have screw-ups? With the single-cog upshifting you can hit the thumb lever as hard or soft as you like to get the same result. Not true of the multiple-cog upshifting.

Eh?
Old 04-21-15, 01:52 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by jsk
Shimano Di2 can multi-shift in either direction with a single button press. You can even configure the speed and optionally set a limit for how many gears in one shift.
Unfortunately the first generation Di2, which I have, does not.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 04-21-15, 02:13 PM
KenshiBiker

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One of the features I love about my Record EPS . . . Of course I have the same feature on my Suntour Barcons (soon to be replaced with Shimano Dura Ace barcons) on my winter commuter.
Old 04-21-15, 03:49 PM
Fiery

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 242 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Tickstart
I've found it invaluable to skip gears when accelerating from a standstill, you're on the biggest cog (I just have gears in the back), put the power down, when you reach the power limit you slam on the shiftlever (bar end shifter) skipping 2-3 gears and keep on the power. Really gets you off the line quickly, cars can't keep up
With integrated levers you don't have to delay the shift and then dump several gears, you can keep shifting up and accelerating at the same time.

Plus, a brake-only brake lever will always feel better than a unit serving more purposes.)
I've yet to see a brake-only lever that's more comfortable than modern integrated units.
Old 04-21-15, 04:15 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by rousseau
I even find that having to modulate your thumb pressure to get the desired action with multiple-cog upshifting can be a slight annoyance. I wonder what it's like in racing when you can't afford to have screw-ups? With the single-cog upshifting you can hit the thumb lever as hard or soft as you like to get the same result. Not true of the multiple-cog upshifting.

Eh?
At first I loved the shift-dump as I crested the climbs on my 8spd Mirage shifters, going from the 21 or 23 to the 17 or 15 in one motion was great. But then one time when sprinting for a summit, I went to shift from 21 to 19 and ended up in the 15 nearly grinding to a halt. On my 105, it maybe takes me fractionally longer to go to the 15, but at least I know I won't overshoot. And I have a technique I sometimes use in the drops where I flick the shifter alternately with index and middle fingers and can shift 3 cogs in less than a second.

Multishifts and trimming were the 2 big advantages of downtube shifters that brifters have never really thoroughly worked out. I won't go back to DTs for my main ride, though, I like being able to shift while standing too much.
Old 04-21-15, 04:33 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2953 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
One of the great things about 10-speed Campy is really useful for rolling hills: by hitting both buttons you can dump the front and several cogs in the back, which gives you close to the same ratio, but now you're in the lower range.
Old 04-21-15, 04:42 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
I believe Shimano will drop 2 gears at a time, and the shifts are so fast that your cadence would go to hell trying to drop more than 3-4 gears. Its seriously a non-issue.
Old 04-21-15, 04:53 PM
bt
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
well, this changes everything!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.