Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

What Type Of Under Shorts Do You Wear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-15, 03:17 AM
torchd

Bikes: 2015 Specialized CrossTrail Sport Disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't know if I am using the correct terminology or not, but I am looking at "compression" type shorts to wear under my basketball shorts when I ride.

What are the under shorts called if they are not called compression shorts?

What do you all recommend?
Old 06-16-15, 05:53 AM
mrFreel

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.2, Trek 520, Surly Straggler, Trek Roscoe 8, Fisher HK2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wear padded cycling shorts so it is not an issue. There are cycling style shorts liners that are padded and made to be worn under other shorts or pants.

Mike
Old 06-16-15, 05:58 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1514 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 456 Posts
Don't basketball shorts get caught in the chain? <g>
Old 06-16-15, 06:00 AM
blacknbluebikes 

Bikes: two blacks, a blue and a white.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked 849 Times in 411 Posts

The quick answer is "none" or you're going to get some sore spots in the worst spots. Get some cycling specific shorts, they come in many styles, offer the right features in the right places. You don't have to spend a lot. Start by checking out mountain bike shorts with liners if you want to avoid the tight Lycra look. Google these...

Bike Nashbar
REI
JensenUSA
Old 06-16-15, 06:13 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I've worn compression shorts for all kinds of athletics since the mid 1980s. That was when we went from leather chamois to synthetics. At first, Bike was the brand we used. These came from a baseball/football heritage, ironically. Their stretchy weave was unsurpassed by anything today. Alas, they're not made anymore.

UnderArmor stuff is pretty good. Minimizes friction and allows perspiration to wick away. The extra compression helps with fatigue.
Old 06-16-15, 08:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
the Boxers or Briefs question, returns?

So how far are you riding? tried any actual bicycle racer shorts yet?
Old 06-16-15, 08:26 AM
JerrySTL

Bikes: Giant Defy Advanced, Breezer Doppler Team, Schwinn Twinn Tandem, Windsor Tourist, 1954 JC Higgens

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You could just wear regular, padded cycling shorts under your basketball shorts. Also you could just go with mountain bike shorts which are baggy but with a padded liner inside. However if you are planning on actually playing basketball in such an outfit, the padded shorts won't work all that well.
Old 06-16-15, 08:38 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5227 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
I prefer thin lined "triathlon, aka tri-shorts" bike shorts under my mountain bike shorts aka MTB shorts. I have a 38" waist but prefer the XXL size in these. this newer model is better than their original cuz the leg opening now has a wide soft band instead of a tight narrow band. I buy mine from amazon. they're not cheap, but they are perfect for me. I even use them at the gym for workouts and running. they do have the sensation of "compression" shorts, but they have that moisture management liner that we need for duration sports

Amazon.com: ZOOT SPORTS Men's Performance Tri 8-Inch Short: Sports & Outdoors
Old 06-16-15, 08:41 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
"Athletic compression shorts" from Walmart. Cheap, lycra, do a good job. I even wear them for long days in the motorcycle saddle.

Of course, when in bike shorts, commando!
Old 06-16-15, 08:38 PM
torchd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mrFreel
I wear padded cycling shorts so it is not an issue. There are cycling style shorts liners that are padded and made to be worn under other shorts or pants.

Mike
What brand do you wear?
Old 06-16-15, 08:39 PM
torchd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Don't basketball shorts get caught in the chain? <g>
Why would they? Basketball shorts are not long by any means. They come right to my knee. No where near the chain....
Old 06-16-15, 08:39 PM
torchd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
The quick answer is "none" or you're going to get some sore spots in the worst spots. Get some cycling specific shorts, they come in many styles, offer the right features in the right places. You don't have to spend a lot. Start by checking out mountain bike shorts with liners if you want to avoid the tight Lycra look. Google these...

Bike Nashbar
REI
JensenUSA
Thank you for the information
Old 06-16-15, 08:41 PM
torchd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I've worn compression shorts for all kinds of athletics since the mid 1980s. That was when we went from leather chamois to synthetics. At first, Bike was the brand we used. These came from a baseball/football heritage, ironically. Their stretchy weave was unsurpassed by anything today. Alas, they're not made anymore.

UnderArmor stuff is pretty good. Minimizes friction and allows perspiration to wick away. The extra compression helps with fatigue.
Yes, I too wear compression shorts when I play basketball. That's why I thought maybe that term was an old term lol.

But yes, I need a under shorts (under my basketball shorts) for when I ride. Like you said, to minimize friction and to wick away perspiration! I'll have to check out UnderArmor.
Old 06-16-15, 08:42 PM
torchd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JerrySTL
You could just wear regular, padded cycling shorts under your basketball shorts. Also you could just go with mountain bike shorts which are baggy but with a padded liner inside. However if you are planning on actually playing basketball in such an outfit, the padded shorts won't work all that well.
That's what I need, padded cycling shorts to go under my basketball shorts while riding. I'll check out the UnderArmor brand.
Old 06-17-15, 01:45 AM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
"Basketball shorts" is a contradiction in terms. Though it wasn't always that way:

scott s.
Old 06-17-15, 06:36 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Ordinary Sears briefs. Since I ride a recumbent I dont have to buy expensive shorts etc to protect me from my seat.
Old 06-17-15, 06:46 AM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
This is going to sound stupid but I have riding shorts and mountain bike riding shorts both with butt pads. I was not aware that they were designed to go commando in? I have been wearing compression shorts under them when I wear them. You guys are wearing nothing at all under your lined biking shorts?
Old 06-17-15, 06:51 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1352 Post(s)
Liked 1,246 Times in 624 Posts
Originally Posted by trail_monkey
This is going to sound stupid but I have riding shorts and mountain bike riding shorts both with butt pads. I was not aware that they were designed to go commando in? I have been wearing compression shorts under them when I wear them. You guys are wearing nothing at all under your lined biking shorts?
Stopped wearing Under Wear when I began riding.

Old 06-17-15, 07:05 AM
Mr IGH
afraid of whales

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
...You guys are wearing nothing at all under your lined biking shorts?
Just a little Gold Bond
When I'm riding with a social group I wear Zioc mountain biking shorts. They're two piece, a padded liner anda groovy/hip plaid shorts. Can't tell I'm wearing bike specific clothes and I'm comfortable for the 20 mile ride with a stop for lunch.

If you already have a nice pair of shorts then consider buying a pair of lycra padded cycle shorts and wear them underneath like underwear.
Old 06-17-15, 07:47 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
Originally Posted by torchd
Why would they? Basketball shorts are not long by any means. They come right to my knee. No where near the chain....
I think he was joking. or just ignorant.

what kind of duration and distance are you riding? my commute to work is about 10 miles and takes about 45 minutes and I do not wear cycling-specific anything for that ride. if it is really hot, Iwear a cycling jersey but otherwise I just wear normal "athletic" clothing. if you are going to ride longer distances or longer amounts of time, I suggest cycling shorts.

avoid cotton! I don't even own cotton socks anymore. for shorter distances, boxers made from synthetic materials work great. I hav a few pairs made by Addidas, Puma, etc that I bought cheap at discount stores like Marshalls. for longer distances, any brand of padded cycling shorts will work and you might try a few before you find that one works better than another. I think you can get some Pearl Izumi shorts just about anywhere for cheap. unless you ride long distances every day, you can get away with one pair and just thoroughly hand-wash them after every ride. they dry quickly. take care of them and they will last you many years.
Old 06-17-15, 07:59 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
Yes. That's the way cycling shorts are designed to work - nothing under them.
Old 06-17-15, 08:59 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
don't worry, we have all experienced That Awkward Moment when you realize that cycling shorts are basically padded underwear that should be worn commando and you have been doing it wrong. if you are wearing anything other than chamios cream or Gold Bond under your lycra shorts, you are doing it wrong.
Old 06-17-15, 10:39 AM
winston63 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge E5 Comp, Specialized AWOL Comp, Scott Solace 10

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 20 Posts
In many situations I wear loose mountain biking shorts with a separate chamois liner (like this) underneath, though this sort of liner would work fine with basketball shorts. I've bought a number of the liners so they can be washed after every ride, but the shorts don't really need to be. If I'm doing any sort of serious ride, I've got proper lycra shorts & bibs that I'll choose depending on the weather & distance.

I never wear normal underwear under my cycling shorts. I did do that years ago on a long ride and I'll just say that I learned my lesson: sandpaper would have been more comfortable against my skin than the cotton underwear I had on.
Old 06-17-15, 04:25 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
I have 2 pairs of riding shorts. One pair of tight shorts with a pad and a pair of MTB shorts with a padded liner. I guess I had no idea.
Old 06-17-15, 05:03 PM
Jaywalk3r

Bikes: I own N+1 bikes, where N=0.

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Boxers. I gave up on padded shorts when I bought a proper leather saddle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.