Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Heel hitting grocery bag

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Heel hitting grocery bag

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-08, 10:56 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
Heel hitting grocery bag

I just bought a Deuter Grocery bag for my GT Virage. I thought it would be a great way to pick up a few groceries and try this utility cycling.

I was pretty excited about going and when I started, I immediately found my heel hitting the back of the bag, which was closed. I really want to try and do a lot of errands on my bike, but want to have some success first before I invest in a different bike, if I need to.

Any suggestions? Are my chainstays just too short to do this? Any help from you pros would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mark
Old 05-05-08, 11:29 AM
Aeneas
Clyde that Rides

Bikes: 2008 Jamis Aurora,1988 Specialized Hardrock, 1980? Kuwahara Carrera

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I retrofitted an old backpack with a couple webbing strips to create a pannier as outlined in https://www.instructables.com/id/Back...ill-backpacks/
I was worried about heel strike, being that I walk around on US size 13s and I believe my rack is a bit too close to my seat post (self installed, probably wrong, but it works.) I refrained from using the pannier until last week when I had to carry some nice clothes to work. I found that my concerns were justified by by moving the pannier back on the rack a bit, I was OK. Is it possible you can do this?
Alternatively, I am unfamiliar with the attachment system used for those bags, is it possible to adjust the bag so that the bottom is angled away from your foot thereby giving you enough clearance to pedal?
Old 05-05-08, 11:34 AM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just move my panniers a little further back on the rack. Good luck!
Old 05-05-08, 11:50 AM
MJH

Bikes: GT Virage, GT Avalanche, Surly Disc Trucker (for sale), Specialized Roll Comp 1x Low Entry

I thought I had it as far back as possible, but I will take a good look at that.
Old 05-05-08, 12:48 PM
YULitle
n00b-sauce

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse SL 2, Trek 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, make sure your rack is level. If it's leaning forward, that obviously will have an effect on whether or not it hits your heels.
Old 05-05-08, 12:49 PM
johann

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
JandD make a rack with extra long rails that will give you some more clearance (I think it's called Extreme Expedidtion or something such).

You can also see if you can shift the pannier's hardware "forward" on each pannier, so the net effect is that the pannier itself shifts backwards..... I've done this before with grocery panniers, and simply had to drill a couple of new holes to shift the hardware. It also made them a "left" pannier and a "right" pannier (simply mark them accordingly to avoid confusion when you are in a hurry).
Old 05-06-08, 03:13 PM
MJH

I'm pretty sure I'm going to take it back. I tried mounting it back farther, but it really didn't help. Even if I improved it some, it really is hard to get it on and off with the Topeak system. The pannier goes on well, but it is extremely hard to then slide the trunk on it's rails.

I went to the store today and just used my bigger handlebar bag and the 2 panniers that come on the Topeak trunk. Worked just fine. I just can't pick up too much stuff.
Old 05-06-08, 08:58 PM
thedirt

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
jandd expedition rack ftw