Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Newbie Di2 user needs quick help

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 05:43 PM
Sergio_CH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, everyone

I just bought my first ever road bike - a Cube Agree C:62 SL Ultegra Di2 (last years model with rim brakes).

50/34 and 11/32

It rides well, I went out for 30 miles, but I did not actually check if all gears work before today.

Today I had to change the rear tube due to puncture.

When I clicked the button, shifting the rear to the smallest sprocket, the chain stopped at the next to smallest sprocket.

Clicking more on the button did not move the rear derailleur any further.

Does that mean that the previous owner switched to the smallest sprocket, changed the tube, and incidentally put the chain on the next to smallest sprocket when he put the wheel back?

I took the wheel out, changed the flat, put the wheel back and put the chain on the smallest sprocket.

I then checked the rear shifting, the chain was on the biggest sprocket on the front and on the back I could switch all the way from the next to smallest to the largest sprocket.

When I moved to the largest rear sprocket and clicked one more time the rear derailleur made a move but the chain did not jump off the largest sprocket, I just heard a ticking noise for a few seconds and then it stopped. Is that automatic chain protection?

Then I shifted back from the largest to the smallest sprocket on the rear but the chain stopped again on next to smallest sprocket and clicking on the button would not move rear derailleur any further.

What is wrong here? Why can't I move to the lowest sprocket?

So now I am on the next to smallest rear sprocket and clicking on the button does not move the rear derailleur. Should I now take the wheel off and put the chain on the smallest sprocket? Would that fix the problem?

Thank you in advance!

Last edited by Sergio_CH; 04-30-20 at 05:47 PM. Reason: I probably put this in wrong subforum. I will create duplicate in another subforum.
Old 04-30-20, 05:47 PM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, everyone

I just bought my first ever road bike - a Cube Agree C:62 SL Ultegra Di2 (last years model with rim brakes).

50/34 and 11/32

It rides well, I went out for 30 miles, but I did not actually check if all gears work before today.

Today I had to change the rear tube due to puncture.

When I clicked the button, shifting the rear to the smallest sprocket, the chain stopped at the next to smallest sprocket.

Clicking more on the button did not move the rear derailleur any further.

Does that mean that the previous owner switched to the smallest sprocket, changed the tube, and incidentally put the chain on the next to smallest sprocket when he put the wheel back?

I took the wheel out, changed the flat, put the wheel back and put the chain on the smallest sprocket.

I then checked the rear shifting, the chain was on the biggest sprocket on the front and on the back I could switch all the way from the next to smallest to the largest sprocket.

When I moved to the largest rear sprocket and clicked one more time the rear derailleur made a move but the chain did not jump off the largest sprocket, I just heard a ticking noise for a few seconds and then it stopped. Is that automatic chain protection?

Then I shifted back from the largest to the smallest sprocket on the rear but the chain stopped again on next to smallest sprocket and clicking on the button would not move rear derailleur any further.

What is wrong here? Why can't I move to the lowest sprocket?

So now I am on the next to smallest rear sprocket and clicking on the button does not move the rear derailleur. Should I now take the wheel off and put the chain on the smallest sprocket? Would that fix the problem?

Thank you in advance!
Old 04-30-20, 06:02 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Di2 limits the small-small combo to prevent cross-chaining.. When you are in the small chainring you can't shift down to the two smallest cogs.
Old 04-30-20, 06:10 PM
spjam

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've found that all things DI2 related can be found in di2center.com

It willl explain it, and how you can disable the gear position control.
Old 04-30-20, 06:12 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Sorry, I don't quite follow exactly what you are saying. However, If you are in the small front, then Di2 is locked out of the small cogs on the back. Probably depends on how many gears you have on the back and maybe model of Di2.

At any rate, with a new to you bike, no matter how old it is I'd highly recommend you get it tuned up and evaluated at a bike shop. Unless perhaps you are already pretty skilled at working on and adjusting all it's pieces parts.
Old 04-30-20, 06:18 PM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GeneO
Di2 limits the small-small combo to prevent cross-chaining.. When you are in the small chainring you can't shift down to the two smallest cogs.
Thank you, but that was of no help.
You did not read what I wrote: I am on the biggest front sprocket and while I am on the biggest front sprocket I can go across all rear sprockets except for the smallest one.
I do not know why I can go to the biggest rear sprockets, maybe it is set in E-tube software, but not being able to shift to the smallest rear sprocket is an error of some sort.
Old 04-30-20, 06:20 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Adjust the limit screw on the derailleur.
Old 04-30-20, 06:34 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Originally Posted by Sergio_CH
That has nothing to do with it. The derailleur will find the right sprocket. It sounds to me like your shifting is set up terribly. I would start from ground zero (or take back to the LBS it wasn't mail-ordered). Research a few vids, I think Shimano even has tech docs that detail setup. Start at the very beginning, ie, the limit screws. It's really not hard to do and it's quick if you know what you're doing. The rear derailleur has 32 settings to fine tune. And while you're at it, check everything on the front derailleur, but make sure you read the instructions. As noted, di2 doesn't let you go little-little, although it is possible to override that setting.
Old 04-30-20, 06:37 PM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V
Adjust the limit screw on the derailleur.
Thanks, Dean.
For all the shifting in the back I was always on the largest front sprocket, just wanted to clarify that. While on largest front sprocket I could shift from next to smallest to largest rear sprocket and back, but not to smallest sprocket.
Which one is the limit screw, please?
Old 04-30-20, 06:43 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
It sounds like it is mis-adjusted by 1 cog since when you are in the large cog if you try to downshift to a lower gear it shouldn't do anything or make any noise. It is hitting the limit screw (good!). It thinks it is in the next to the largest gear and also why it won't shift to the smallest cog.

The Shimano manual gives you step by step instructions on how to properly adjust the derailleurs. Really easy to do once you get the hang of it.

R8050 Ultegra Dealer Manual
Old 04-30-20, 06:46 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
Thank you, but that was of no help.
You did not read what I wrote: I am on the biggest front sprocket and while I am on the biggest front sprocket I can go across all rear sprockets except for the smallest one.
I do not know why I can go to the biggest rear sprockets, maybe it is set in E-tube software, but not being able to shift to the smallest rear sprocket is an error of some sort.
Was kind of hard to follow what you were saying. You can adjust the delimiter and offsets electronically.
Old 04-30-20, 06:48 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
This it normal for Di2. On mine, if I am in the small front chainring, my bike will not shift into the two smallest rear gears. Di2 is set up to not allow cross chaining.
Old 04-30-20, 06:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3243 Post(s)
Liked 2,091 Times in 1,183 Posts
Thanks, Dean.
For all the shifting in the back I was always on the largest front sprocket, just wanted to clarify that. While on largest front sprocket I could shift from next to smallest to largest rear sprocket and back, but not to smallest sprocket.
Which one is the limit screw, please?
Its an easy answer, but it’s also found here and I’d suggest reading it as it’s stuff you’ll need to know..

https://si.shimano.com/pdfs/dm/DM-R8050-02-ENG.pdf
Old 04-30-20, 06:51 PM
August West

Bikes: Domane SLR7 Project One

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 105 Posts
I'd also suggest not crossposting identical posts in two different forums.
Old 04-30-20, 06:58 PM
bahula03

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 34 Posts
If you have access to one with everything going on, it'd probably be a very good idea to take it to a local shop and have them take a look. There's a chance the limit screw is set incorrectly (easy to google how to adjust it), but it also sounds like the derailleur hanger could be out of alignment, which isn't unusual but also isn't easy to fix without the correct tool. It could also be a combination of all three; limit screw, derailleur hanger, and the indexing being off. Hard to say over the internet.

Given that it sounds like things are indexed to the left by a whole gear, which creates an extremely hazardous situation if you go small ring+largest cog in the cassette and accidentally shift up again, I'd let someone with more experience sort it for you. As others have said, Di2 defaults to preventing cross-chaining, but it should absolutely allow you to engage big ring up front and smallest cog on the cassette.
Old 04-30-20, 07:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 3093 Post(s)
Liked 6,608 Times in 3,787 Posts
Duplicate threads merged.
Old 05-01-20, 03:33 AM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First of all, thank you all for helping me to learn to operate Di2. That is what I want to do, so that I do not have to drive to a bike service every time.

@GeneO: I did not intend to be rude, apologies. BTW, Gear Position Control works, I checked, being on big front sprocket could not shift to smaller one while being on next-to-smallest rear sprocket, which then jumped 2 up, just as in manual.

@August West: yes, it was late and I posted in the wrong topic somehow, which I mentioned there as well, then I duplicated the same here to get the answers, now posts are merged, thank you cb400bill. :-)

I am talking to Terry from di2center.com. He answered to me at 2am! That is "customer" service, and I did not even buy anything from him! :-D

Anyway, I am in the E-Tube and I see that Di2 thinks I am on the smallest sprocket, while in reality I am on the next-to-smallest one.

Cannot post screenshots yet but I see in E-Tube that:
Adjustment setting value is 0
Rear derailleur gear shifting position is 11
Old 05-01-20, 08:47 AM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

:-D

Anyway, I am in the E-Tube and I see that Di2 thinks I am on the smallest sprocket, while in reality I am on the next-to-smallest one.

Cannot post screenshots yet but I see in E-Tube that:
Adjustment setting value is 0
Rear derailleur gear shifting position is 11
Adjustment setting value of zero is the neutral setting for the derailer on the cogs. Zero doesn't indicate correct and you make adjustments to this based on the instructions I linked above and listening to the chain as it rubs on the next largest cog while changing the setting using the shift buttons. It's in the manual

If the systems thinks the derailer is on the smallest cog and it's not, than either the high stopper bolt is set incorrectly and is preventing the derailer from moving the chain to the smallest cog, or the derailer hanger is bent.
Old 05-01-20, 11:01 AM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Adjustment setting value of zero is the neutral setting for the derailer on the cogs. Zero doesn't indicate correct and you make adjustments to this based on the instructions I linked above and listening to the chain as it rubs on the next largest cog while changing the setting using the shift buttons. It's in the manual

If the systems thinks the derailer is on the smallest cog and it's not, than either the high stopper bolt is set incorrectly and is preventing the derailer from moving the chain to the smallest cog, or the derailer hanger is bent.
Thank you, Steve!
Hmm, I think I have to bring it in to a service, not sure if I can check if hanger is bent. Looked from the rear and I think it is bent towards the wheel, but maybe it is supposed to be like that.
Old 05-02-20, 04:24 AM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The reason for my problem:

1. Bent hanger
2. Adjustment on RD was not properly done

Everything now works on the repair mount, but haven't ridden the bike yet.

Cheers, everyone!
Old 05-02-20, 06:44 AM
Steve B.

[QUOTE=Sergio_CH;21450464]The reason for my problem:

1. Bent hanger
2. Adjustment on RD was not properly done

Everything now works on the repair mount, but haven't ridden the bike yet.

Cheers, everyone![/QUOTE

Good to hear !, glad you got that resolved.

Enjoy the bike and system and a thank you for the follow up on progress, folks tend to not do that.
Old 05-02-20, 08:14 AM
Sergio_CH

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My pleasure!
I was worried it could be hanger out of spec, Terry from Di2 Center told me he had a case like that.
But I also read on another forum that bent hanger is the most common culprit for messed gear changes, apparently very soft material those hangers.
Old 05-02-20, 09:09 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6199 Post(s)
Liked 4,816 Times in 3,323 Posts
Probably better that the hangar bend than bending or crushing the Derailleur.