Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mountain - Plains
Reload this Page >

Tent camping in St. Louis proper?

Search
Notices
Mountain - Plains Colorado | Kansas | Missouri | Montana | North Dakota | Nebraska | South Dakota | Utah | Wyoming

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-17, 08:50 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts

going to do a short tour from peoria il. to st louis and back. can't find a place to camp in st. louis. any ideas?

thanks for any response in advance.
Old 09-21-17, 07:16 AM
sknhgy 
Dirt Bomb

Mentioned: 64 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5471 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 239 Posts
The closest place I can think of is called 370 Lakeside Park. It is 25 miles, as the crow flies, from The Arch. Pere Marquette State Park is about 30 miles straight line - 50 by trail. That's a good park. Very nice place to see. I know of a primitive site near Alton that the kayakers use but it is closed from October 15 until April 15, I believe, because it is in the flyway refuge. If you're really serious about that one let me know and I'll check on those dates to be sure. It is very primitive but near the Clark Bridge. There's also an RV park in St. Charles. It's adjacent to the Katy Trail but I don't know if they allow tents.

But here is what I would do:
There is a KOA near Granite City, Illinois. It's an easy bike ride from there to STL. It's just off the bike trail system. It's also on a bus route to the city. It's less than a mile from a bus stop.
https://www.bing.com/maps?&ty=18&q=S...16577&v=2&sV=1
I have stayed there. If you look it up don't be put off by the bad reviews. It's not your typical campground. It's kind of a funky place but it is safe and clean and well kept. I've see kids riding their bikes around and playing in the playground. Picture a campground surrounded by a thick hedge in the midst of graveled parking lots, semi's, and trains. You may want ear plugs at night because of the trains. But it is a safe place.
If you stay there in the warm weather it has a nice pool. I've slept there in a tent and it is nice. Yup. That's where I'd go.
Let me know if you need more info.

Last edited by sknhgy; 09-21-17 at 07:28 AM.