Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pump question.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pump question.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-19, 11:09 PM
magicmack384

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bike pump question.

hello once again, hope everyone is enjoying biking this summer i know no question asked is stupid, so my question is, i have a very nice bike pump by giant, i believe i paid about 50 for it. it will pump up tires using presta an shrader valves. at times i think i have the dookickey that goes over the stem correctly, then i lock it it place. but tire just does not fill with air. i believe the problem lies with getting the dookickey on the stem properly. it can be a lil tricky. am i right or wrong? this does not happen all the time. the stems on the tires are just fine. wish i could post a pix of the pump, but i still have about 9 more posts before i can attach pixs. any help much appreciated. thnx
Old 07-25-19, 11:51 PM
mynewnchome

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 Raleigh Revenio 1.0

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 13 Posts
Make sure, if the valve is a presta, that it is unscrewed and I always tap it to free any sticky valves. Most higher quality/dollar pumps actually work backward that the older big chain store pumps. Where as you used to put the valve on the stem and then flip the lever down to be in line with the hose, the higher quality pumps work the other way, you place the valve on, then flip the lever to what, using the past knowledge of pumps, would seem to be releasing the hose from the valve.
Likes For mynewnchome:
Old 07-26-19, 06:06 AM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 435 Posts
I have the Giant Control Tower 2 pump and never a problem. With presta, follow what mynewnchome stated. If a Schrader valve stem (like on a car), the pump head just slips right over the stem. Sounds like maybe you aren't "burping" a presta valve before trying to inflate-you do need to unscrew the core and push it into the stem until you hear a little air escape, then attach the pump head, inflate, release the pump head, and screw the valve core back into the stem after inflating.
Old 07-26-19, 06:07 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
Portable pumps can be tricky. I have some that work great such as my Lezyne and a few others that are marginally ok. I can't recall the one on my road bike but it is tricky to get seated, but once it does I can get a road tire up to 80 PSI without too much trouble.

Find your pump online and post a link.
Old 07-26-19, 07:15 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 247 Posts
Follow the procedure described by mynewnchrome.

Even then, it happens. Usually, it's because you didn't get the valve far enough into the pump head. When that happens, I take the pump head off and try again, being sure to press the head fully onto the valve. It is especially prevalent with new pumps, because the rubber grommet in the pump head is new and tight, so it can feel like the valve is fully onto the pump head when it's not.
Old 07-26-19, 10:58 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
You can see from the picture below what the internals for a presta valve look like. There are two seals built into it. One is the threaded upper portion which prevents air from escaping around the edges when it is tightened in place. The other is the rubber seal at the bottom of the core. When you unscrew the knurled piece at the top of the valve, that does not always unseal the bottom. If you press down on the knob, it will open the bottom seal. Often, just pumping will do it as well. When you tighten the knurled nob at the top you also cinch down on the seal at the base so it can not open by accident.

Likes For VegasTriker:
Old 07-26-19, 11:07 AM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I believe the correct term is DooHickey, not DooKickey
Old 07-26-19, 11:30 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
It's possible the rubber doohickey inside the pump head is worn out. If so, Giant may repair/replace it under warranty

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html