Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

OLN Commentary Sucks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-04, 07:39 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OLN Commentary Sucks!

Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to watch the race on OLN when they have Bob Roll and his sidekick act as commentators? Their commentary has all the sophistication of a 7 year old child and their approach to the race assumes you have an IQ of 0.

I hate how he continually drones on and on (with his equally poor grasp of enunciation) about irrelevant topics. It's like he's having a damn conversation while we're watching images of a bike race. I've found myself pressing the MUTE button a lot of times.

Why aren't they using Phil Liggett? They have to bring him back or I'm gonna find this year's tour REALLY hard to watch.
Old 07-04-04, 07:47 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phil and Paul do commentary of the actual racing. They do a damn fine job of it too.
Old 07-04-04, 07:48 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
Phil and Paul do commentary of the actual racing. They do a damn fine job of it too.

Umm...are you sure about that? Because I'm watching the 8PM Prime Time version and it ISN'T Phil and Paul doing the commentary of the actual racing. It's Bob Roll and the other guy.
Old 07-04-04, 07:54 PM
Cipo

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Record the LIVE coverage in the morning, or the afternoon replay; that's when we get Phil and Paul. I'm not sure why they have Trautwig and Roll doing commentary over the same pictures for the PrimeTime show.
Old 07-04-04, 07:55 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by KennethToronto
Because I'm watching the 8PM Prime Time version
There's the problem... I would suggest you record the live version instead if you can't catch it in realtime.
Old 07-04-04, 07:56 PM
jobob
back of the autobus

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Has anyone noticed how difficult it is to watch the race on OLN when they have Bob Roll and his sidekick act as commentators? Their commentary has all the sophistication of a 7 year old child and their approach to the race assumes you have an IQ of 0.

[...]

Why aren't they using Phil Liggett? They have to bring him back or I'm gonna find this year's tour REALLY hard to watch.
I agree, the OLN primetime coverage with Al Trautwig & Bob Roll is pathetic. It's basically dumbbed-down Lance-centric blather aimed for the lowest common denominator - OLN probably thinks the "All Lance All The Time" approach will attract those who will only bother to watch if Lance is in the lead.

Luckily, the live early-morning coverage still has Phil and Paul commentating, so if you can get up that early or remember to set your VCR, that's the way to go. For the primetime coverage, all Bob and that nitwit Trautwig are doing are basically reading off Phil & Paul's early-morning commentary, and adding in their own painfully moronic ad-libs.

If you do record the early-morning coverage, just be warned that it tends to go over the allotted time, particularly in the mountain stages (at least that's what I've seen in the past).

HTH, - jobob

Last edited by jobob; 07-04-04 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-04-04, 08:00 PM
khuon
DEADBEEF

Location: Catching his breath alongside a road near Seattle, WA USA

Bikes: 1999 K2 OzM, 2001 Aegis Aro Svelte

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jobob
remember to set your VCR, that's the way to go.
I finally joined the rest of my geek-friends and got myself a TiVo box. I never before found much use for something like that since I try to not be a slave to the TV. The only exception is the TdF. I used to do the VCR thing but TiVo is so much nicer... especially since I do a lot of travelling. My DirecTV receiver does have the ability to externally control my VCR so if the stages run long then I still won't miss the ending (assuming I had enough tape) and that worked fairly well but with TiVo there's no worries.
Old 07-04-04, 08:03 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I hate how he continually drones on and on (with his equally poor grasp of enunciation) about irrelevant topics. It's like he's having a damn conversation while we're watching images of a bike race. I've found myself pressing the MUTE button a lot of times.

For cryin' out loud. You'd probably beotch if they hung ya with a new rope. I like the different perspective Bob and Al give it. If ya don't like it, don't watch it.
Old 07-04-04, 08:03 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks guys. I can't catch the LIVE one because of work...so I guess I'll have to dig out the VCR to record the Phil and Paul commentary.

It's really a shame I have to do this - what in the world is OLN thinking??

Also, I'm relieved I'm not the only one who finds Bob Roll and Al Trautwig to be PAINFULLY to difficult to listen to. Them and this 24/7 focus on Lance Armstrong is really making watching this race a difficult experience - and I'm a huge fan of cycling and Lance!

Perhaps letting OLN know might help? I already wrote a short msg to
https://ww2.olntv.com/feedback.asp
Old 07-04-04, 08:06 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grampy™
For cryin' out loud. You'd probably beotch if they hung ya with a new rope. I like the different perspective Bob and Al give it. If ya don't like it, don't watch it.
Well, I don't think I can knock any sense in you if you somehow think this "different" perspective from Bob and Al is better than Phil and Paul.

If there were any other stations covering the Tour, I wouldn't watch OLN. But there aren't, so I have every right to point out flaws in OLN's coverage.
Old 07-04-04, 08:13 PM
Hitchy

Bikes: how long have you got?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G'day,

I'm finding it difficult to feel sorry for you blokes!. You wanna try being a cycling nut & live in Oz!. Here we only get 1/2 hour of 'highlights' 12 hours after the stage has taken place!. I think we get 4 stages of the 3 weeks where we get the last 2 hours live........the grass is always greener folks!,

cheers,

Hitchy
Old 07-04-04, 08:25 PM
TwoTyred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i think it's perfect the way they do it. If you want the 'pure' commentary--
watch the *LIVE COVERAGE* in the morning. If you are interested, but
would like it to be more presentable with replays etc.. watch it in the
evening. If you still aren't satisifed--watch both!!
Old 07-04-04, 08:36 PM
live311
Heeeeeere's Johnny!

Bikes: DeBernardi Zona, Trek 7.1 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OLN's prime time coverage is geared more towards cycling n00bs who may be interested in seeing what all the hype is about, and I think they're doing a good job of explaining the nuiances of the sport. It will sound annoying to someone who knows everything already. I find myself watching both the live AM coverage and the prime time show.
Old 07-04-04, 08:37 PM
jobob
back of the autobus

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Rivendell Bleriot

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by khuon
My DirecTV receiver does have the ability to externally control my VCR so if the stages run long then I still won't miss the ending (assuming I had enough tape) and that worked fairly well but with TiVo there's no worries.
Hmmm... you might have a more sophisticated DirecTV/TiVo setup than I have, but if I'm recording a stage and it goes over time, the TiVo still stops recording at the end of the scheduled time, unless I set it in advance to keep recording, say, 30 minutes longer (which I routinely do for the live stages). Your setup might be different, but if not, just thought I'd warn you-- such a bummer to have the recording stop 5 km from the finish (been there, done that!).

Hitchy, you're right, we in the US are very fortunate to have daily coverage. Were it not for Lance's dominance in the Tour, our coverage would be on par with yours ...
Old 07-04-04, 09:50 PM
Grampy™
Geezer Member

Bikes: Airborne, LeMond, Bianchi CX, Volae Century, Redline 925 (fixed) and a Burley Tandem.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I don't think I can knock any sense in you if you somehow think this "different" perspective from Bob and Al is better than Phil and Paul.

If there were any other stations covering the Tour, I wouldn't watch OLN. But there aren't, so I have every right to point out flaws in OLN's coverage.
Knock some sense in Me? You elitist snob! God forbid someone should have a different view. I said I enjoyed the different perspective of Bob and Al, I didn't say they were better than Phil and Paul, but what if I did think that? I'm writing OLN daily to tell them how great I think their coverage is...... It would serve you right if you lost your OLN coverage next year....
Old 07-04-04, 10:10 PM
Nam
Stinky Mouse

Bikes: Giant OCR3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmn... silly me, I never noticed that Bob is comentator in the prime time until reading this thread. But I rarely watch reply anyway.

I agree that many of them are not pro, but who cares, we are watching the race, though it's annoying, it's not big dea. Overall, just like Kristen Gum thread, I see many people discontent with OLN comentators. Peharps you guys who serious about cycling should learn French and move to France to watch TDF .
Old 07-04-04, 10:45 PM
auricpoe

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.9SL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
although I do like the oln comentary of phil and paul a lot, bob and all did sound like they were 5 years old...it sounded like bob was giving al a lession on cycling, cause he is a new comentator for oln......he doesnt know what is going on at all IMO. i think most of us here could do a better job with the cycling comentary, let al stick to "mainly" sports like football and baseball and hockey..............agree?
Old 07-04-04, 10:55 PM
Laggard
Lance Hater

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for letting us know that Phil and Paul only do live coverage. Now I know to tape it.

Phil and Paul are the best commentary duo in sports. No one knows more about pro cycling than Phil. Some of the obscure race results and facts they pull out of thin air just blow me away.
Old 07-04-04, 11:01 PM
Devil
Since Ever Since

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I like Bob Roll, and I enjoy watching the prime time coverage with his commentary. But only AFTER watching the live coverage with Phil and Paul. Cycling wouldn't be the same for me without those two. I'll echo what Laggard says. Phil and Paul are 10,000,000 cuts above the rest.
Old 07-05-04, 05:03 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks guys. I can't catch the LIVE one because of work...so I guess I'll have to dig out the VCR to record the Phil and Paul commentary.

It's really a shame I have to do this - what in the world is OLN thinking??

Also, I'm relieved I'm not the only one who finds Bob Roll and Al Trautwig to be PAINFULLY to difficult to listen to. Them and this 24/7 focus on Lance Armstrong is really making watching this race a difficult experience - and I'm a huge fan of cycling and Lance!

Perhaps letting OLN know might help? I already wrote a short msg to
https://ww2.olntv.com/feedback.asp
Phil and Paul do not do commentary exclusively for OLN. In fact, they also do, for example, commentary for ITV. If you bought the DVD of last year's Tour, you will note that it was the ITV feed they used. If you listen to OLN carefully, you will sometimes hear the "other" person commentating (Paul is actually speaking on OLN, but you can hear Phil also talking in the background) and this is because they are doing live feed for other programs at the same time.
Given that, I suspect that since the entire world is not on the same time, they are doing feeds in the US evening hours for other places...for example, I have two good friends from Australia who also get to watch some of Phil and Paul...they may be working elsewhere and that's how OLN can do the commentary with Roll and Trautwig.
Old 07-05-04, 05:05 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Laggard
No one knows more about pro cycling than Phil.
More than you?
Old 07-05-04, 05:16 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Hitchy
G'day,

I'm finding it difficult to feel sorry for you blokes!. You wanna try being a cycling nut & live in Oz!. Here we only get 1/2 hour of 'highlights' 12 hours after the stage has taken place!. I think we get 4 stages of the 3 weeks where we get the last 2 hours live........the grass is always greener folks!,

cheers,

Hitchy
That's basically the way it used to be here.

I have a friend who lives in Melbourne, and I asked him, with all the Aussies in the race why they would not cover it more extensively. He thinks they are too cheap to buy the time...

Too bad.
Old 07-05-04, 05:17 AM
TrekRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jobob
I agree, the OLN primetime coverage with Al Trautwig & Bob Roll is pathetic. It's basically dumbbed-down Lance-centric blather aimed for the lowest common denominator - OLN probably thinks the "All Lance All The Time" approach will attract those who will only bother to watch if Lance is in the lead.

What have you got against the free market? OLN, which is owned by Comcast, is trying to expand its viewership. Last year, daily viewers of the Tour de France nearly doubled from the previous year, and all because of Lance Armstrong. This year, they are trying to get daily viewership up another notch.

Most Americans couldn't spell Iban Mayo or Jaan Kirisipuu or pronounce Jens Voight or recognize Levi Leipheimer of Floyd Landis if they tripped over them on the street. But everyone who has opened a newspaper, magazine, or watched television knows Lance Armstrong.

That is why the prime time rebroadcast is dumbed down; so the average American Lance-fan can understand what is happening in a bicycle race - possibly the first one they have ever seen.

The only thing that can come from this is increased viewership, which means increased sponsors which means MORE bicycle racing on OLN.

We should all be behind Al Trautwig and Bob Roll, cheering them on. For those of us who know the score, there is the live coverage in the morning and VCRs!
Old 07-05-04, 05:42 AM
roadwarrior

Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Well said.

Originally Posted by TrekRider
What have you got against the free market? OLN, which is owned by Comcast, is trying to expand its viewership. Last year, daily viewers of the Tour de France nearly doubled from the previous year, and all because of Lance Armstrong. This year, they are trying to get daily viewership up another notch.

Most Americans couldn't spell Iban Mayo or Jaan Kirisipuu or pronounce Jens Voight or recognize Levi Leipheimer of Floyd Landis if they tripped over them on the street. But everyone who has opened a newspaper, magazine, or watched television knows Lance Armstrong.

That is why the prime time rebroadcast is dumbed down; so the average American Lance-fan can understand what is happening in a bicycle race - possibly the first one they have ever seen.

The only thing that can come from this is increased viewership, which means increased sponsors which means MORE bicycle racing on OLN.

We should all be behind Al Trautwig and Bob Roll, cheering them on. For those of us who know the score, there is the live coverage in the morning and VCRs!
Old 07-05-04, 06:29 AM
velocipedio
human

Bikes: 2005 Litespeed Teramo, 2000 Marinoni Leggero, 2001 Kona Major Jake (with Campy Centaur), 1997 Specialized S-Works M2, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i'm going to be contrary here for just a minute and say that i really don't like the job that phil and paul are doing on the tour -- particularly phil. i've enjoyed their coverage of other races in the past, and i think they've done some good tours, but they've definitely been slipping.

there's phil's usual trouble remembering racers' names [francis moreau?], but the thing that really bugs me is the way commentary/analysis is completely tossed out the window. in the prologue, the whole thing about armstrong "dealing a psychological blow" was laughable and obviously calculated for the non-cycling viewers.

i understand that these guys are anglos and the broadcast is aimed at an american audience that doesn't care about anyone in the race other than armstrong [i'm not talking about you cognoscenti, i'm talking about the broader audience that's also interested in the ultimate sports]. i also feel that the coverage has been compromised by the sponsors. all of the segment sponsors -- amd, subaru, trek, discovery network -- are current or future sponsors of the usps team, as is oln. it is perhaps inevitable, but i find that phil and paul are just doing their best to get the sponsors the most for their advertising dollar.

The Irregular Cycling Club of Montreal
Cycling irregularly since 2002

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.