Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

👨*🌾 Gardening 2019

Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

👨*🌾 Gardening 2019

Old 07-02-19, 03:49 PM
work4bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1160 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by work4bike View Post
This story is a little old, but apparently it's still going on...these kind of stories infuriates me

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...189273944.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIZAiclnZtk
A happy ending...

https://www.orlandoweekly.com/Blogs/...etable-gardens

A bill that will prevent local governments from passing rules against homeowners’ vegetable gardens was among 10 bills signed Monday by Gov. Ron DeSantis.

The signings came less than a week before the bills go into effect on July 1.

RELATED Longwood front-yard farmer stands by his permaculture plot: Despite distraught neighbors and mounting fines, Shon Law says he’ll continue to grow food not grass

The bill about homeowners’ vegetable gardens, HB 82, stemmed from a dispute between homeowners Hermine Ricketts and Laurence Carroll and the village of Miami Shores over an ordinance that banned front-yard vegetable gardens.
Old 07-02-19, 08:41 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 89 Posts
It depends on from who's point of view. While I'm generally all for individual rights, in these cases the fight is less against the establishment, and more against his disgruntled neighbors. If it were some board acting as some anointed overlords and making their version of what is acceptable or unacceptable property management for everyone, I might agree.

But this seems less of a necessity fight to improve things, and more of a different just for the sake of being different publicity stunt. I've heard of people standing up for old trees and undisturbed partial of land, but what is the point here?

Does he have limited or no backyard space? What makes me hesitant to side with these individuals is they don't appear to have much if any support from their neighbors, or the community at large. I wonder why that is the case?
Old 07-02-19, 11:36 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 8495 Post(s)
Liked 438 Times in 263 Posts
I went to Harts Pass this weekend to do some trail work. A natural garden.

I learned that paintbrush is a parasitic plant.

Old 07-03-19, 03:04 AM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL View Post
It depends on from who's point of view. While I'm generally all for individual rights, in these cases the fight is less against the establishment, and more against his disgruntled neighbors. If it were some board acting as some anointed overlords and making their version of what is acceptable or unacceptable property management for everyone, I might agree.

But this seems less of a necessity fight to improve things, and more of a different just for the sake of being different publicity stunt. I've heard of people standing up for old trees and undisturbed partial of land, but what is the point here?

Does he have limited or no backyard space? What makes me hesitant to side with these individuals is they don't appear to have much if any support from their neighbors, or the community at large. I wonder why that is the case?
That particular guy believes in a style of 'gardening' that really amounts to letting your yard return fully to nature. You toss out some 'seed bombs' and then let the plants fight it out and accept whatever results you get. His yard is an eyesore and his neighbors have debris falling into their yards, and rats and other pests coming from his jungle into their normal yards. It's hard to get behind him. The other story quoted earlier is just about a normal garden which looks nice, which is easier to stand behind:

This story is a little old, but apparently it's still going on...these kind of stories infuriates me

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...189273944.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIZAiclnZtk
Old 07-08-19, 11:43 PM
ms.gio
Chief Slacking Officer

Bikes: Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any indoor gardeners / houseplant collectors in the thread?

I don't have access to a yard due to renting so all of my plants are inside.
Old 07-09-19, 11:44 AM
clemsongirl 

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 78 Posts
Originally Posted by ms.gio View Post

good to see your words again!!!!

i have patios for outside plants but walls of windows do kinda bring them inside

and i do have quite a few orchids around the inside, well, and even non-live flowers

Last edited by clemsongirl; 07-10-19 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-09-19, 02:18 PM
ms.gio
Chief Slacking Officer

Bikes: Fuji Track SE, Cannondale R300

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
good to see your words again!!!!
Likewise! I recently got back in touch with some Foo members on Facebook and I thought, "Let's pay a visit and see how things are doing." I am the Chief Slacking Officer after all. I may just have slacked off a little too hard.

Originally Posted by clemsongirl View Post
i have patios for outside plants but walls of windows do kinda bring them inside

and i do have quite a few orchids around the inside, well, and non-live flowers

Your orchids are beautiful. I have such terrible luck with orchids. I have a collection of tropicals that I'm growing indoors.
Old 07-09-19, 08:07 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 3036 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 89 Posts

Funny that you should mention indoor plants since I'm been considering adding a couple to my living area. I don't have a single one at the moment, but have had indoor plants since my first windowsill pea germination way back in grade school.

My micro-balcony garden had been hit pretty badly by some pesky critters that has decided my plants are their primary meal ticket. Haven't put anything else out there since the last much down left just twigs. I guess I lost that battle? House plants would be just the solution.

Did you have any specific plants or type in mind? Dracaenas, and philodendrons are by far the most popular indoor plants. As are bromeliads, and many of the different cacti and succulents. I've only ever gotten one phalaenopsis to bloom in my life, so can't say much on that.

However, depending on how many hour of light you have, there's a lot of plants to choose from. Its even possible to grow some banana plants indoor to create a tropic feel to your environment. I'd choose a dwarf variety since bananas can be huge unless you have the open space. I grew a flourishing Ensete ventricosum (Red Abyssinian banana) next to the sliding glass door. But it eventually did get too large and outgrew my small living space.
Old 07-10-19, 02:39 PM
BenzFanatic

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to do "interior landscaping" for a living, before becoming a grower at a wholesale greenhouse. Free plants, that were going in the trash anyways, was the best perk. My tiny apartment is jam-packed with plants. My friends joke that I'm going to overdose on oxygen.
Old 07-10-19, 03:03 PM
chewybrian 
"Florida Man"

Bikes: '16 Bob Jackson rando, '66 Raleigh Superbe, 80 Nishiki Maxima, 07 Gary Fisher Utopia, 09 Surly LHT

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 924 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 45 Posts

Since I am in Florida, I grow plants outside that make good houseplants elsewhere. Here are a few that would qualify that I have:

Truly tiny banana plant--the regular dwarf would get pretty big. This one will only get to about 3 ft. Needs plenty of light.

https://www.floridahillnursery.com/b...ve-plant-p-254

Coffee--easy to grow and to trim to whatever size you want. Needs partial shade.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/p...Coffee%20Plant

Calmondin orange--also easy to trim to size and super easy to grow. Needs lots of sun.

https://www.fast-growing-trees.com/p...in-Orange-Tree

One other way to go --pre-bonsai trees. This is guava, but there are several available. The advantage is they are trained to be small and can thus be kept small easily.

https://www.wigertsbonsai.com/produc...f-guava-8-pot/