Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cannondale R800 - Harsh Ride?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-04, 07:33 PM
uplateinoh

Bikes: Trek 7000 Mountain Bike, Univega viva-tech road bike.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For those that have a cannondale with the Optimo Si frame, how is the ride? Can it be comfortable for long distances?

Some background:

I currently have an old school late 80s vintage aluminum univega road bike that is ready to be retired. I really enjoy the responsiveness of the aluminum frame, but the ride can be seriously harsh at times.

I'm not a distance rider... I just like to have fun while I'm on the road and don't want my bones to hurt after a 50+ mile ride. I'm not interested in racing or anything, but I do want a bike that climbs well and that I can grow into as my abilities improve.

I know the current wisdom is get out there and test ride as many bikes as you can, but the shops around here that have a lot of bikes are mostly set up for parking lot test rides. I am trying to narrow the list of potential bikes... $1500 is my mental target, but I can go higher (or lower) if I find something I really like. The Trek 5200 peaked my interest, but I've heard Cannondale does wonders with aluminum frames and just wanted to get some opinions of people that actually ride them.
Old 06-16-04, 07:43 PM
RacerX

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
IMO, Cannondales are one of the best aluminum frames out there. I have extensive time on the CAAD5, CAAD6 and CAAD7 and even a few solid weeks on the 6-13.

If the R800 is the CAAD7, get it and enjoy it to death. It's a great bike. You will love it.
Old 06-16-04, 08:38 PM
forum*rider
Work hard, Play hard

Bikes: Cannondale super V 500, Bianchi Piaggio(hopefully getting a new road bike when I get some money)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do you know if cannondale just sells their frames bare? I would like to buy a CAAD7 frame and build it up for a race bike.
Old 06-16-04, 08:48 PM
dexmax
road siklista

Bikes: Custom Knolly Chilcotin Limited Edition Orange, Dartmoor Wish, KHS 7500, Custom built Specialized Camber, S-Works Road, Cannondale Trail mtb, Polini MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yes they do sell frame sets.. a frame+fork+headset.
Old 06-16-04, 08:55 PM
SyntaxPC
!Newbie, !Senior Member

Bikes: IRO Mark V Track Bike, 1976 Schwinn Sprint Fixed Gear Conversion, 1975 Alan Aluminum Lugged Road Bike, Cannondale Touring, GanWell Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by forum*rider
Do you know if cannondale just sells their frames bare? I would like to buy a CAAD7 frame and build it up for a race bike.
According to their catalogue (I have one from a little less than a year ago sitting in front of me), they sell the following four framesets:

Messenger (i.e. track, based on the Optimo)
Team Saeco (Optimo Hollowgram)
Team T-Mobile (Optimo Si Feminine)
Scalpel Team Replica (Scalpel Optimo w/unified composite seatstays)

It doesn't say anything about any CAAD* framesets. However, just because the catalogue doesn't have it, it doesn't mean they don't sell it.
Old 06-16-04, 09:10 PM
tbick

Bikes: Cannondale 500, Motobecane Super Touring, DiamondBack Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about 4,000 miles on my Cannondale. Everyone tells me that it is a harsh ride but I find it to be very comfortable. Like many others here, I too am drawn to the lure of a carbon frame because of it's "comfortable ride". But the consistent comment that I get from former Cannondale owners that now ride carbon is they "miss the responsivness" of the Cannondale frame. I think I'll keep mine
Old 06-17-04, 09:35 AM
roadwarrior

Bikes: Cannondale EVO, CAAD9, Giant cross bike.

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by tbick
I have about 4,000 miles on my Cannondale. Everyone tells me that it is a harsh ride...
They tend to be people who have never ridden or owned one, but "think"they know what they are talking about...

Between my CAAD 4 and CAAD 7 R3000, I've got almost 23,000 miles on those frames in about 3 1/2 years.

They are not harsh. They are comfortable, stiff, responsive. lively racing frames.

You want a hybrid ride, buy a hybrid.

Enjoy your bike..
Old 06-17-04, 09:53 AM
geist
suffering...

Bikes: 2009 Cannondale CAPO, 2004 Look 468SL, CAAD 8, IRO MV, IRO bfssfg, 80's Panasonic x2

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a CAAD 7 frame for about six months. I was able to trade up to a LOOK 481sl because I got a smoking deal. The Cannondale frame is very responsive and quick. The geometry is great and I would not classify it as unconfortable by any means. The LOOK is at another level. I would imagine the Six13 has a similar ride to the LOOK.
Old 06-17-04, 10:12 AM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had a CDale for eight or nine years, and while the ride is firmer than my steel bikes, it's not harsh or uncomfortable. If it bothered me, I'd go up a size on tires and run 5-10 psi less.
Old 06-17-04, 12:55 PM
AeroDog

Bikes: Bianchi (road), Cannondale R3000,Trek (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by uplateinoh
For those that have a cannondale with the Optimo Si frame, how is the ride? Can it be comfortable for long distances?
My guess is that all the people who claim Cannondales are harsh haven't ridden one. My Optimo frame Cannondale is very pleasant on long rides, even compared with my steel Bianchi. When my R3000 was destroyed in a wreck 3 weeks ago today (see picture in earlier post), I immediately ordered another one identical to it. It's very light, fast, quick, nimble --and comfortable! The only other bike I considered was the Six13.
03 Trek MTB
Old 06-17-04, 04:46 PM
anikuma

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride some roads which at times isn't too roadie friendly. and my 2003 R800 sails right over it. also its great on hills. Love my c-dale!
Old 06-17-04, 06:50 PM
uplateinoh

Bikes: Trek 7000 Mountain Bike, Univega viva-tech road bike.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the input... the R800 seems like a great bike. Not sure about those Gipiemme wheels though. I'm about 200lbs right now and have doubts about so few spokes holding up my fat a$$.

Thanks again forum readers!
uplate
Old 06-19-04, 12:10 AM
litoespi
Road Warrior 700

Bikes: Cannondale RW700, Gianella Cro-moly Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a 2001 Cannondale RW700, CAAD4 I believe it is- love it! Looking forward to upgrade to the 6/13 someday soon.
Old 06-19-04, 03:52 AM
tbick

Bikes: Cannondale 500, Motobecane Super Touring, DiamondBack Mtn Bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by geist
I had a CAAD 7 frame for about six months. I was able to trade up to a LOOK 481sl because I got a smoking deal. The Cannondale frame is very responsive and quick. The geometry is great and I would not classify it as unconfortable by any means. The LOOK is at another level. I would imagine the Six13 has a similar ride to the LOOK.
To help me understand, when you say you were "able to trade up" to the Look, what makes the Look better?
Old 06-19-04, 07:21 PM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a CAAD7 R1000 and it's awesome...you'll be hard pressed to find anything so STIFF and RESPONSIVE!

This thing accelerates like a champ