Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cyclists Frustrate Community

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cyclists Frustrate Community

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-04, 07:36 AM
Murrays
Mad Town Biker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wanted to post a letter from a local community leader from Black Earth, a small town west of Madison, WI. It illustrates how road cyclists are viewed by the masses.

Any thoughts on solutions to pacify the masses would be appreciated! OTOH, there is no specific examples of the “problems” caused by “the biker” other than “breaking the law”. It’s difficult to solve a problem when the problem isn’t defined

-murray

Sent: Monday, July 05, 2004 10:21 PM To: Governor Jim Doyle; Rep.Travis; Robert Bowman; russell_feingold@feingold.senate.gov
Cc: Vern Wendt; hitzemann@co.dane.wi.us; Sen.Erpenbach; Knutson, Tryg; tammy.baldwin; Falk, Kathleen; Jim EMS; Village Jack Curtis; Joe Flynn; Paul FOSSHAGE; Melbankes; Vermont Bill Hanson; Senator Kohl; Town of Cross Plains; Town of Mazomanie; Town of Vermont; dhcows@MHTC.net; 'Wells,

Subject: Bicycling on the west end of Dane County

Hello to the Governor, County Exec. Kathleen Falk, Senator Erpenbach, Senator Feingold, Rep. Travis, Rep. Baldwin, and Dane County Supervisors -Wendt and Hitzemann!

We have been having a real problem with groups of bike racer (groups) over taking our area and the roads! Leaders from the Townships of Berry, Mazo, Vermont, Black Earth, Cross Plains and the village of Black Earth have expressed concerns to the Dane County Sheriff's office. But we need more help then they can give us. Laws need to be changed or understood better. Seems the biker has alot more rights then the people who are paying for insurance, license plates and the roads we drive on!

Next Monday night there is a meeting at the Vermont Town Hall and I have been asked to go and I really want you to come to the meeting!

These people are living through this all the time and they need your help! They need to be heard by someone who can make a difference!

I have an idea... Charge them a fee! Why can't we put license plates on bikes. That way we can make them accountable for breaking the law! When they break the law then we can call the police and have a way to know who it is! So many of these groups of bikers come into our village and /or townships and take over the roads! This is where we live! How would they feel if we take over in their town or village? They have no regard the people that live here or their property. The state and county need money and this is a major problem. Charging them a GOOD healthy fee for a license plate would help with some of the sort fall in the county and state budget!

After all this is a hobby!

Please come to the meeting on July 12 at 7:30 p.m.!

Something needs to be done and it has to start some
place!

Jeanne Poast
Black Earth Village President
Population 1314
1210 Mills St., Black Earth, WI 53515
Cell # 608-444-0190 or home office 767-2564
www.villageofblackearth.com

Let us realize that the privilege to work is a gift, that power to work is a blessing, that love of work is success.
--David O. McKay
Old 07-09-04, 07:46 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ahhhhhh. The ignorant masses speak

On a serious note or two...
I like how people always seem to think we ride on roads we don't pay for. Last time I checked, I had a car with plates and had to pay property taxes, sales taxes, income taxes, etc. In fact, if I remember correctly, I actually pay MORE than many of the trailer trash slobs who think I'm riding on *their* roads

As for cycling being a hobby, yes it is. Then again, so is getting on your car to drive one block. Wait a sec. Cycling actually has genuine health benefits and leads to better fitness. Maybe getting in the car is the hobby while cycling is the wise choice...

Hmmmm. I like how they think they can call the police if they see us breaking a law. I wonder if he/she has ever tried to call a cop *after* seeing someone blow a red light? Th cops have to see a person actually commit the crime or it's simply "her word against mine"...

On a sympathetic note, many cyclists (myself included) DO completely ignore most rules of the road and can be somewhat insensitive (NOT included). I guess it's just harder to stop at a sign when you realize you have to do the work to start again Maybe motorists would understand if we went to Flintstone cars But that is still an important criticism.

Anyway, this is a town w/ a pop of 1314?!?!?! Hell, there's nothing to take over! Morons.
Old 07-09-04, 07:49 AM
TXCiclista

Bikes: 2017 Ridley Fenix SL, 2008 Trek 1500, 1998 Diamondback Apex

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Running a search on the web for "Jeanne Poast" of "Black Earth" yields interesting results
Old 07-09-04, 07:52 AM
NW NJ Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So many of these groups of bikers come into our village and /or townships and take over the roads! This is where we live! How would they feel if we take over in their town or village? They have no regard the people that live here or their property.
She makes it sound like the bicyclists are like a Hell's Angels motorcycle gang.
Old 07-09-04, 07:56 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Seems the biker has alot more rights then the people who are paying for insurance, license plates and the roads we drive on!"

I always like this arguement. Its not like as a cyclist I don't pay taxes. I also own a house, a vehicle and all the expenses that go with it.

Peace.
"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-09-04, 07:58 AM
Markedoc

Location: Latitude 42○13'44" Longitude 71○41'42" Elevation 223 ft.

Bikes: 2006 Merlin CR Works w/DA 10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So ... I ride my bike to work to save gas and lessen our country's dependence on foreign oil, and I am the A-hole ... uh huh ....
Old 07-09-04, 07:59 AM
cyclingshane73
Compulsive Upgrader

Bikes: 2002 Kona Deluxe (road), 2001 Cove Stiffee (mtb)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NW NJ Biker
She makes it sound like the bicyclists are like a Hell's Angels motorcycle gang.
You know when you said that it reminded me of Marlon Brando in the The Wild One.

"No drug, not even alcohol, causes the fundamental ills of society. If we're looking for the source of our troubles, we shouldn't test people for drugs. We should test them for stupidity, ignorance, greed, and love of power." -P.J. O'Rourke
Old 07-09-04, 08:03 AM
slvoid
2-Cyl, 1/2 HP @ 90 RPM

Bikes: 04' Specialized Hardrock Sport, 03' Giant OCR2 (SOLD!), 04' Litespeed Firenze, 04' Giant OCR Touring, 07' Specialized Langster Comp

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
"After all this is a hobby"?
How ignorant are these people?

Then again if these bikers are running red lights, cutting off traffic, blocking the red, etc, then I might understand.
Old 07-09-04, 08:06 AM
dobber
Perineal Pressurized

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by CarlJStoneham
Running a search on the web for "Jeanne Poast" of "Black Earth" yields interesting results

https://www.google.com/search?sourcei...st+black+earth

After about the second page it gets a little weird.
Old 07-09-04, 08:19 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
I just really can't stand the over use of these!!! I mean every sentance! it gets really annoying! you know what I mean! I just can't stand it!

I get the fealing that she is a fat old betty that everyone cannot stand. I say we organize a mass group of cyclist to raid there little town and steal there children for ransom
Old 07-09-04, 08:21 AM
pgreene
Sneaky Slow

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
knowing her email address makes me want to drop her a note reminding her that cyclists also drive cars, and by virtue of using their bikes instead of their cars, they're actually causing less wear and tear on the roads, and thereby saving the village money, etc etc. but, i'd hate to do so in response to a privileged communication. where'd the original poster get that email?
Old 07-09-04, 08:23 AM
bg4533

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think she doesn't want anything that is not "normal" in her small town.

I don't know the true demographics of the hardcore cycling population, but I would be willing to bet on average income is higher and more taxes are paid.

Also, what does insurance have to do with giving cyclists less rights to the road? It is pretty hard to damage anything besides your bike or yourself.
Old 07-09-04, 08:24 AM
Murrays
Mad Town Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slvoid
Then again if these bikers are running red lights, cutting off traffic, blocking the red, etc, then I might understand.
For the record, I don't think there are more than a couple stop lights in Black Earth.

Also for the record, the Colligate National Cycling Road Championships were held in Black Earth a month or so ago. There may be a little backlash from a bunch of college kids having a good time in Black Earth

BTW, I liked one of the Dartmouth woman’s T shirt:

We mount
We ride
We get off
-murray
Old 07-09-04, 08:30 AM
Murrays
Mad Town Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pgreene
where'd the original poster get that email?
I was passed along in one of our eGroups. I purposely left off her email address so that she wouldn’t get anymore emails from people not involved. Here is the email I sent her:

Jeanne Poast, President, Village of Black Earth

Dear Jeanne

First of all, I want to thank you and your community for hosting the Collegiate National Cycling Championships last month! Everyone I spoke to was impressed with the hospitality and generosity shown by the Village of Black Earth during this great event.

As a cyclist, I was made aware of your letter to our law makers regarding bikers taking over the roads. I’ve been riding my bike on public roads for over 20 years and I can’t remember an instance where a motorist was inconvenienced more than a handful of seconds by me riding my bike. Perhaps you could describe your encounters with cyclists and your frustrations so I can better understand your point of view.

In regards to charging a fee for bikes, I would gladly pay a fee for the privilege to ride my bike, but the simple fact is this won’t solve anything. It won’t reduce the number of cyclists on the roads, it won’t stop cyclists from breaking the law and it will only add to frustrations on both sides of this issue. Our law enforcement officers will have no more recourse than me reporting a speeding car.

My wife and I own two cars and live in the city of Fitchburg. I can assure you that we pay insurance, property tax, gasoline tax, sales tax & license plate fees. To be sure, I helped pay for the roads in Dane county as much as my neighbors.

To be honest, I frequently roll through stop signs, particularly on the aforementioned lightly traveled roads, but, for my own safety, I do my best to follow the law when there is any traffic around. Clearly, some cyclists aren’t as law abiding as others, but bikes aren’t the only vehicles on the road that break the law either.

You are correct that cycling is a hobby for me, but it’s also my passion. Riding on the rural roads of Dane county gives me a sense of freedom and vitality unlike any other activity. There are few things in my life that I value more than cycling. Dane county is widely regarded as one of the best areas in the country for cycling. I hope we can work towards a mutually beneficial solution so that Dane county can remain a great place to live for all of us.

Thank you
Murray S
Old 07-09-04, 08:33 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by Murrays
I wanted to post a letter from a local community leader from Black Earth, a small town west of Madison, WI. It illustrates how road cyclists are viewed by the masses.

Any thoughts on solutions to pacify the masses would be appreciated! OTOH, there is no specific examples of the “problems” caused by “the biker” other than “breaking the law”. It’s difficult to solve a problem when the problem isn’t defined

-murray

Are you planning a rebuttal for this article?

If so some points, some are opinions, I may get blasted but they're opinions:

1) The reason autos pay gas tax, insurance, drivers fees is because they are dangerous and they damage the environment. They have to pay for this convienence in order to fix the damage to the roads they cause (especially trucks) as well the danger they pose to each other, pedestrians, etc. Insurance is needed to protect not only the driver when they smack up their vehicle but 3rd parties as well. A 100km/h projectile is VERY dangerous.

2) Pay a drivers license fee for cyclists? I agree and don't agree with this. I agree in the sense that I would hope that it would further drive home the fact that bicycles are legal vehicles and to shut up the motorists who constantly bring up this point. "Ok I now have a license...happy?" Having a divers license fee may also be a good source of revenue for bicycle improvemenst (although I think the money would be wasted). I don't agree because many people turn to cycling because they don't have a car. Charging a fee MAY prevent some people from taking up this form of transportation. I can't decide whetehr I agree with this DL fee or not, I am more in favour of it these days tho.

3) A hobby? Well yes. But also transportation. Just like an automobile. People use autos to transport themselves and also rebuild cars, do them up with racing stripes and big tires, tint the windows, etc...do they not? Is this not a hobby also? Why don't we charge these people more fees because they do up their vehicles...after all it IS a hobby.

4) YES, cyclists should be accountable for their actions and follow the rules of the road. But due to the bikes don't belong society and our cycling inferiority complex many cyclist feel unsafe and ride on the sidewalks or against traffic or blow stop signs. They should not. Education in our schools and driver ed programs on proper cycling and how to deal with cyclists on the road is a must. In the States its called Effective Cycling in Canada its called CANBIKE. These should be more readily available in schools and a lecture in the driver ed programs on what to expect from cyclists. This can only work if BOTH of these happen.

5) Taking over their property? Oh please! I am sure that this town, like mine, has kids racing up and down the road in their Honda Civics. Do something about them first! What about motorists road rage? What about motorist inattention? These vehicles certainly pose a bigger danger to the town than a bunch of bicycles. The real issue here is that this person is being inconvienenced by bicycles. She has to slow down and wait until it is safe the pass. Her having 10 seconds cut from her time is her problem. Ahhhh too bad!

6) Cycling is healthier, quieter, less damaging, less polluting, less expensive, less dangerous to other people, less frustrating. Although I agree autos are more convienent over long distances and give you the ability to carry heavier and bigger loads. But for around the community, nothing will beat a bicycle. Other than that cars are a pain in the ass. You can't work on them without expensive tools and alot of know-how and training. They last only 10 years (in Canada) and after 5 years they are constantly in the shop for repairs. Mak eno wonder more people turn to bikes (keep in mind that I own 2 vehicles, but they are a necessary evil).

7) Call the police when they break the law? Oh please! How many times have I called the police complaining of the damn kids racing up and down the road or when I called and compalined that someone throw a bottle out a car window at me. THEY. DON'T. CARE. You think they will giev a damn about a bunch of cyclists?

Like I said the reason this person is *****ing is because she is being inconvienenced by bicycles, she has to slow down and it drives her nuts.

Digger
Old 07-09-04, 09:01 AM
bac

Bikes: Too many to list!

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hmmm .. Black Earth ... yup, that sounds about right. Let's see - no facts to support the "argument", and an obvious misunderstanding of the law to top it all off. That letter must be a joke, no?
Old 07-09-04, 09:14 AM
Markedoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber

Hahahahahaha!!
Old 07-09-04, 09:37 AM
blueorder

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dobber

Google is truly your friend...this yields better results though...

Google Search
Old 07-09-04, 09:39 AM
duracann

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If people want me off the road, build me a track. I think that no one would like it if kids played baseball in the street, but I have no choice but to ride my bike on the road. Why, in a country of overweight people, would we harass those that exercise. Oh yeah, fat guilt.
Old 07-09-04, 09:44 AM
DogBoy
No one carries the DogBoy

Bikes: Roubaix Expert Di2, Jamis Renegade, Surly Disc Trucker, Cervelo P2, CoMotion Tandem

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Any suggested changes before I send it?

To: Congresswoman Tammy Baldwin, Governor Jim Doyle, Senator Russ Fiengold, Senator Kohl, County Exec. Kathleen Falk, Village President Jeanne Poast , Dane County Supervisors and Editors of the Wisconsin State Journal

Subject: Bicycling in Dane County

I am writing in response to a letter from Jeanne Poast, the Black Earth Village President. I am a bike rider, and take issue with many of the claims made by Jeanne Poast, and believe that the true nature of the “problem” she discusses needs to be defined.

I have ridden my bike in the area, and I have driven my car in the area, and have not seen anything that would constitute a problem. I see many bikers in the area because it is a beautiful part of the county, with many challenging hills and moderately low traffic volume. On rare occasion I have seen bikers violating laws by riding 3 abreast or by doing “rolling” stops at stop signs, but when I have approached in my car, the bikers have always yielded the road and let me pass. I have had to slow down on occasion to wait for a safe opportunity to pass a bike, but I still fail to see how this is a “problem.” Has property been damaged or people been injured by the bikers? I believe a clear definition of what the problem is needs to be addressed before any sort of “solution” can be proposed.

The Village president shows a distinct lack of understanding of the sport of biking and the laws of Wisconsin when she makes the claim “Seems the biker has alot [sic] more rights then the people who are paying for insurance, license plates and the roads we drive on!” All she needs to do is watch all the cars with bike racks driving around her community and she would notice that most of the bikers also own vehicles, and are paying fuel taxes and insurance. They also own homes and live and work in the area. Additionally, some of the highway funding is supplied from federal funds that come from federal income tax, so to claim that bikers do not financially support the roads is a false claim. It is also false to claim that bikers have more rights than other vehicles. A bike on the road is considered a vehicle. It has no more rights than a car, and is always at the mercy of the cars understanding of those rights.

Her suggestion to have bikes licensed will not solve the “problem” (whatever it is), and will create additional problems. Much of the weekend bike traffic is from out-of-state bikers coming to ride on the Ironman route. These people drive their cars into the state and pay fuel taxes from the gas that they buy in our state. They eat at restaurants, stay in motels and help to support our local economy. Implementing a state license would not affect any of these bikers since they would not be subject to the licensing rules. If they were to become subject to the licensing rules, it would seriously hamper bike tourism in the state. Additionally, the stated purpose of the license is to hold bikers accountable for breaking the law. Bikers can already be held accountable for breaking the law, so how does a license help? I am very uncomfortable with the idea of someone being cited for a violation on the basis of the claim of someone who may not understand the law as it applies to bikes.

My final concern is with the village president’s comment “After all this is a hobby!” My bike is more than just a hobby for me. It is the way I get to work, the way I get many of my groceries and something that I ride for fun. I do not see how my bike is any different than a car, other than that it takes up less space on the road, is easier to park, provides significant health benefits and goes an infinite number of miles with zero gallons of gas and zero emissions.

The Village President makes one comment that I agree with. “Laws need to be … understood better.” Bikes have the same rights as vehicles and it seems that even the Village president does not fully grasp what this means.

Wisconsin is known for being very bike friendly. My impression from the hostile letter is that the village president just wants the bikers to go away. Should you decide to support the proposal being made by Jeanne Poast, I can only assume that you no longer want Wisconsin to have this reputation. In closing, I want to remind you that bike riders pay taxes, they are a part of the community, and they vote.
Old 07-09-04, 09:54 AM
NW NJ Biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Doyboy,

Your response is very good.
Old 07-09-04, 09:58 AM
BikeInMN
Dude who rides bike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Seems the biker has alot more rights then the people who are paying for insurance, license plates and the roads we drive on!"

I love this stuff. Jeanne Poast is a complete moron; plain and simple. Her rant is proof that the small town simpleton mentality is alive and well in cheeseville. F her and F her dumpy little town.
Old 07-09-04, 09:59 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Quoted: 1295 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by DogBoy
Any suggested changes before I send it?

Very good! Just one thing, how about changing bikers to cyclists? Bikers are the leather clad Hells Angels.

Just MHO.

Digger

P.s. I would also suggest changing Village President to Village Idiot, but that won't get us anywhere.....
Old 07-09-04, 10:13 AM
Markedoc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, while it is true that occassionally cyclists violate the laws of the road, so do drivers. Personally I use hand signals, stop at lights, stop for school buses, and have been cut off by rude drivers (paying more attention to their cell phone than the road) not using their turn signals all the time.
Old 07-09-04, 10:24 AM
KennethToronto
Go Go Fassa

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BIKERS?

Ya mean Cyclists. Our vehicles don't need gasoline

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.