Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Need new rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Need new rim

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-20, 10:25 PM
slowpedaler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Need new rim

My rear rim is in bad shape and needs replacement. I thought that maybe I could just replace the rim, but I have been advised that because I have a very old bicycle, a new rim by itself may not fit the spoke length and that I should buy a new rear wheel. Seems like I could just buy some new spokes. I am having trouble finding a new rear wheel. My bike is a Trek 730 purchased over 20 years ago. It uses cassette not freewheel. 7 x 3 speeds. Any recommendations where I might go shopping for a new wheel, and should I give up on the new rim idea?

Thanks,
Old 04-25-20, 11:27 PM
alo

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 529 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 185 Posts
Consider buying another bike rather than a rim.
Old 04-26-20, 12:02 AM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpedaler
My rear rim is in bad shape and needs replacement. I thought that maybe I could just replace the rim, but I have been advised that because I have a very old bicycle, a new rim by itself may not fit the spoke length and that I should buy a new rear wheel. Seems like I could just buy some new spokes. I am having trouble finding a new rear wheel. My bike is a Trek 730 purchased over 20 years ago. It uses cassette not freewheel. 7 x 3 speeds. Any recommendations where I might go shopping for a new wheel, and should I give up on the new rim idea?

Thanks,
That's a nice bike, it's worth keeping and restoring.

Is this your rim?....

Matrix Vapor, 32-hole
Old 04-26-20, 02:24 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
You can use an 8 speed freehub with a 4.5mm spacer behind the cassette and use all your current components. I forget offhand what the hub spacing is on an older 730--it may be 130mm or 135mm, but either is regularly available anyways. The measurement is by measuring either the insides of the dropouts or the locknuts of the hub.

If you're interested in learning to build a wheel I'd encourage you to do so, but otherwise it really is probably more price effective to buy a new wheel, as 700c freehub wheels for either 130mm or 135mm are pretty common. If you do decide to rebuild, you can measure the effective rim diameter (ERD) using two spokes of known length and nipples and a ruler or calipers and search for a rim with the same or relatively similar ERD as the original, assuming none of the original spokes have broken. Even then, they have undergone more fatigue than a new spoke, but if they were well tensioned and ridden within their limits except for one major accident they may last a long time yet.

Wheelmaster is a pretty common brand for cost effective machine built wheels. Spend more for something with a double walled rim--it's usually worth it. They are generally OK, though I would personally do a bit of touchup to the wheel build and the hub adjustment before installing one on a customer's bike. Something like https://www.amazon.com/Wheel-Master-...s%2C202&sr=8-2 would be appropriate given the value of the bicycle.
Old 04-26-20, 04:33 AM
rseeker

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by alo
Consider buying another bike rather than a rim.
Man, really? I have a 730 of similar vintage and I'm in love, I wouldn't sell it! But I'm seeing I'll need rims in a year or two, so, subscribing.
Old 04-26-20, 12:35 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Just to make sure as it'll change the advice given.Another recent thread had confusion due to Trek's reuse of model #'s.
You have a 730 "Multi-track" flat bar mid-level hybrid like this.

Not an 80's high level road bike 730 like this

Old 04-26-20, 01:39 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
20 years ago I owned a bike shop. At dealer cost I could buy a pre-built wheel set for almost exactly the same price as I could buy the individual components and lace it myself. If your rear rim is fu-barred the most cost effective solution is to buy a pre-built replacement.
Old 04-26-20, 04:42 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by slowpedaler

Thanks,
Attempt to measure the existing rim to determine the ERD. Then find a rim with the same spec and tape it to the old one. Remove one spoke at a time and install it in the new rim. True and tension the wheel and go for a ride.
Old 04-26-20, 04:56 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
Originally Posted by davidad
Attempt to measure the existing rim to determine the ERD. Then find a rim with the same spec and tape it to the old one. Remove one spoke at a time and install it in the new rim. True and tension the wheel and go for a ride.

Sort of like this.
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...paramount.html
Old 04-26-20, 06:47 PM
davidad

Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
Almost. I would tape the new rim to the old one and move one spoke at a time to the new rim.
Old 04-26-20, 07:45 PM
slowpedaler

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, I have a multitrak.
Old 04-26-20, 07:57 PM
Rogerogeroge

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR 9; Moots Routt YBB; Trek Fuel EX8+; LeMond Poprad

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 101 Posts
Find a new source. Those wheels with those spacing still exist and they can be found relatively cheap. And forget about just buying a rim. Paying someone to build a new wheel will be more expensive than the replacement wheel. And if you're replacing a well used wheel with a trashed rim, the spokes should be replaced as well.
Old 04-26-20, 08:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4210 Post(s)
Liked 3,878 Times in 2,315 Posts
If taping a new rim to an old do be aware of the spoke offsets (the holes often are alternating side to side) can be opposite each other. (What some will call a left hand VS a right hand offset). Not that it matters except you want to have the offset to align with the spoke/flange sides and this might result in the valve hole one spoke off what some would say is the only way to lace a wheel . (I suffered this negative comment way back in 1975 from an older club member). Andy
Old 04-26-20, 08:54 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 723 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with get a new wheel, there's a chance that a 135 hub will fit and the price is liable to be in the 60.00 range. If the rim is toast then your spokes aren't far behind and you can expect to pay 30.00-40.00 for a rim, maybe a little less on ebay though shipping will get you. If you get a rim that's the same you can just measure your spokes but expect another 25-35.00 for spokes and nipples and you still need to build it or pay someone to build it which can put you to a 100 for one rebuilt wheel on an old hub.
Course, the 730 was a decent bike but nothing amazing and newer can be better.
Old 04-27-20, 12:53 AM
tFUnK

Bikes: Too many bikes, too little time to ride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked 460 Times in 318 Posts
Another vote for new wheel. In fact, I would recommend a new wheelset altogether. Might be hard to find something new, but you check the used market for something that fits. A 8/9/10 speed hub will also work with your setup; you'll just need a low spacer to accommodate the stack difference between 7 and 8 speed cassettes.