Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

For those who race competitively ??

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-15, 01:10 AM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i had gained a massive amount of weight about two years ago , at my heaviest i was weighing about 245 lbs at 5 feet and 8 inches i was fat and ,i've always been slim but idk what happened i let myself go i guess i was depressed and drinking but, i decided to snap out of it and i lost a massive amount of weight i went from 245lbs ,to now i weigh 180lbs thanks to running and cycling and eating better, i even had high blood pressure at one point but thats gone now i'm good now everything is well, when i started cycling i was only able to ride maybe 10 to 17 miles a ride and i was averaging maybe 12 to 14 mph on a 17 mile ride. Now 7 months laters cycling everyday for 7 months i now am able to ride 30 to 40 miles at an average speed of 18 to 19 mph on a ride i feel like i'm in way better shape and i feel i now can do maybe 50 to 70 miles at that average speed lets just say ive gotten a lot faster in a short period of time or it feels like a short time for me ,,idk if 18 to 19 mph average is even good enough to race..

Well my question is for those of you who are racing in cycling races like usa cycling or whatever other races there are. When did you know you were fast enough to compete or when did you realize it was time to start racing?? i love cycling now i get angry when i have to miss a day of riding my bike i feel that at some point i want to start racing also and compete but idk when i should start ??
Old 03-09-15, 01:20 AM
aramis

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by allen254
i had gained a massive amount of weight about two years ago , at my heaviest i was weighing about 245 lbs at 5 feet and 8 inches i was fat and ,i've always been slim but idk what happened i let myself go i guess i was depressed and drinking but, i decided to snap out of it and i lost a massive amount of weight i went from 245lbs ,to now i weigh 180lbs thanks to running and cycling and eating better, i even had high blood pressure at one point but thats gone now i'm good now everything is well, when i started cycling i was only able to ride maybe 10 to 17 miles a ride and i was averaging maybe 12 to 14 mph on a 17 mile ride. Now 7 months laters cycling everyday for 7 months i now am able to ride 30 to 40 miles at an average speed of 18 to 19 mph on a ride i feel like i'm in way better shape and i feel i now can do maybe 50 to 70 miles at that average speed lets just say ive gotten a lot faster in a short period of time or it feels like a short time for me ,,idk if 18 to 19 mph average is even good enough to race..

Well my question is for those of you who are racing in cycling races like usa cycling or whatever other races there are. When did you know you were fast enough to compete or when did you realize it was time to start racing?? i love cycling now i get angry when i have to miss a day of riding my bike i feel that at some point i want to start racing also and compete but idk when i should start ??
From a new racer, you don't need any magical speed or fitness to race, just a license and a bike and the entry fee. Go out there and try it and see how you do.

I'd recommend riding with groups or some new racer clinics first though.. or at least understand all the basic safety ideas of riding with a large group of people so you aren't a danger to yourself or others out there.
Old 03-09-15, 01:28 AM
Snakepit

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Bad Boy 9 & 2015 Cannondale CAAD10 3 Ultegra

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good job on getting back on the bike and the weight loss!

Racing criteriums is more than just going fast though. I got some excellent advice from some friends who used to race. They told me to sign up for crit training before racing season starts. They should be able to teach you how to corner, keeping your line, etc. They won't even allow you to sign up for a CAT 5 crit here without some experience so you don't pose a danger to the other racers.
Old 03-09-15, 01:30 AM
allen254

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aramis
From a new racer, you don't need any magical speed or fitness to race, just a license and a bike and the entry fee. Go out there and try it and see how you do.

I'd recommend riding with groups or some new racer clinics first though.. or at least understand all the basic safety ideas of riding with a large group of people so you aren't a danger to yourself or others out there.
yeah ive been trying to look for some club but no luck or maybe i don't know were to look
Old 03-09-15, 01:32 AM
allen254

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snakepit
Good job on getting back on the bike and the weight loss!

Racing criteriums is more than just going fast though. I got some excellent advice from some friends who used to race. They told me to sign up for crit training before racing season starts. They should be able to teach you how to corner, keeping your line, etc. They won't even allow you to sign up for a CAT 5 crit here without some experience so you don't pose a danger to the other racers.
wait you're saying that usa cycling has training races,, who exactly teaches you ???
Old 03-09-15, 04:41 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by allen254
yeah ive been trying to look for some club but no luck or maybe i don't know were to look
Have you tried looking here? https://www.usacycling.org/clubs/
Better yet, ask at one of your local bike shops - one that sells race bikes
While some clubs will not have programs for novices, a larger club probably does; either training sessions, or simply members who make themselves available as coaches. Some non-racing recreational clubs focus more on training and skills development than bakery or brewpub trips, and may be your best bet at this point, because what your really want before pinning on a number is some good experience riding in close groups.
Old 03-09-15, 05:17 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Races have a lot of surges: quick changes of speed. Incorporate some intervals, of varying lengths, into your training a couple of times a week

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html