Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your vintage mountain bikes!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-20, 12:19 PM
mrv 
buy my bikes

Bikes: my very own customized GUNNAR CrossHairs

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 428 Times in 249 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
Down on the ground but when cutting, mounted upside down for the saw fest.
Just getting started on cutting the post out. It is 260mm down inside the tube. Hopefully not all of it is corroded solid to the frame. Maybe one slit, might be two in the works. Had to go get a longer sawzall blade and new handle for this project, can’t find the old handle!
If you are unsuccessful with the saw, you can use 100% LYE. The drain opener type stuff. Lye will dissolve aluminum, but not steel. You just gotta kinda plug the seat tube and fill it with water and lye. Then let it SLOOOOWLY dissolve the post. It took me a bout 3~4 hours, I guess. Over about 3 days.
It was a GUNNAR frame I got for $80 with a couple of forks. I was not worried about the paint. Not sure if the reaction will generate enough heat to blister the paint. I do not recall the seat post ever getting anywhere near that hot. I can't speak for what lye will do to the paint job.

the chemical soup of retro bike life

the black gunk in the bucket is oxidized aluminum seatpost

remember - this only works on steel bikes and aluminum seatposts. if you try it with an aluminum bike, you'll dissolve the whole **** bike!
Old 01-03-20, 01:20 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
One slice so far with no movement. Going for another slice of post, YUMM! I don’t mind cutting these out. I find it therapeutic (not too much of a rush to finish).
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 01-03-20, 08:12 PM
katsup

Bikes: 1995 ParkPre Pro 825 2021 Soma Fog Cutter v2 and 2021 Cotic SolarisMax

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 607 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 318 Posts
Last year I gave my mother a 1992 Trek 950 and she has been wanting me to find a similar bike for her husband, so I ended up finding the exact same bike in his size. Here is the matching pair.

Hers has some scratches on the drive side (I think from a car rack), but it doesn't bother her.
Likes For katsup:
Old 01-05-20, 03:21 PM
orcas island 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 109 Posts
New to me yesterday - 1983 Stumpjumper

Old 01-05-20, 03:50 PM
dualresponse

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 45 Posts
1985 Schwinn Cimarron in action!

Likes For dualresponse:
Old 01-05-20, 05:40 PM
marius.suiram 

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 110 Posts

1985 Raleigh Seneca Mountain Tour

1990 Schwinn Impact MOS

1993 Specialized Rockhopper, in need of tires, tubes and replace the cables

? Year of this one
Zebra Empire, i got it from the Bike Coop like frame and fork.
now in need of front brakes to be ready.
Old 01-05-20, 07:35 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by orcas island
New to me yesterday - 1983 Stumpjumper

They don't come much nicer... that Stumpy is perfect... the year, the color, the Tomaselli brake levers... Enjoy that baby!! (I have a near identical one, but not in quite as good shape) 😝👍
Old 01-05-20, 07:44 PM
montclairbobbyb 
Recovering Bikeaholic

Bikes: 84 Specialized Expedtion, 85 StumpJumper, 85 Schwinn Cimarron, 2019 VO Polyvalent, 2007 Niner MCR, 2008 Niner SIR

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by dualresponse

The well-deserved second coming of the Cimarron...destined to become an all-rounder touring classic to those lucky enough to own one. I love mine. Nice build! 👍
Likes For montclairbobbyb:
Old 01-06-20, 05:30 AM
beicster 

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts

Where was this taken? That looks somewhat Appalachian.
Old 01-06-20, 09:02 AM
dualresponse

Originally Posted by beicster
Where was this taken? That looks somewhat Appalachian.
Yep!
https://www.virtualblueridge.com/par...oost-overlook/
Old 01-06-20, 10:51 AM
beicster 

Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 186 Posts
Awesome. Thanks. I am more familiar with Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina but that definitely looked similar.
Old 01-06-20, 11:15 AM
dualresponse

Originally Posted by beicster
Awesome. Thanks. I am more familiar with Kentucky, Tennessee and North Carolina but that definitely looked similar.
Yeah, I always enjoy it when someone post pics from those areas. You can almost look at the lay of the land/ trees/ etc and tell it's close by.
Likes For dualresponse:
Old 01-07-20, 01:42 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 261 Posts
No longer stock by a long shot: a 1985 Peugeot Canyon Express I’ve modded to be a 26” tourer/Holdsworth knock off. Let’s see if the pic will upload from Flickr:

https://flic.kr/p/2ibCKrK

edit: not Holdsworth but Stanforth. Sheesh...

Last edited by Smokinapankake; 01-07-20 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-07-20, 01:46 PM
Smokinapankake

Apparently I’m doing this wrong. I’ll try again from home. The app isn’t super clear...
Old 01-07-20, 02:13 PM
norcalmike

Bikes: A bunch

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 80 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Apparently I’m doing this wrong. I’ll try again from home. The app isn’t super clear...
you can just upload to BF directly from your phone or whatever device you are using. Pic icon is in the middle row 3rd in from left.
Old 01-07-20, 02:18 PM
Smokinapankake

Not sure I’m following you... maybe a screen shot would help. Sorry, I’m new to Flickr since photo suckit ruined everything
Old 01-07-20, 02:47 PM
Smokinapankake

Ah. There we go!
Likes For Smokinapankake:
Old 01-07-20, 04:51 PM
Ballenxj

Bikes: Diamond Back Apex, Mongoose IBOC Aluminum Road Bike, SR road bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 515 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 116 Posts
Ah. There we go!
Very nice! I like both the way it's set up, and the paint scheme.
Old 01-07-20, 09:18 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Ah. There we go!
Wow. That's quite a transformation. What fork did you use? Is that paint, or powdercoat? If the latter, consider that a compliment, because PC is often too thick around the lugs. On this one, I can't tell.

My Canyon Express is one of my favorite bikes. I've kept it mostly stock, but have added some cargo capacity. I don't have a photo yet of its current configuration, but it is basically this:

... plus a front porteur style rack, which transforms it from a mountain goat to an urban mule. I was going to give it porteur-style handlebars, but those beautiful stock bull-moose bars just look so Right on there. They are keepers.
I'll post pics as soon as Spring arrives in these parts. But I've gotta say, you've done a great job with yours!

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Likes For DQRider:
Old 01-08-20, 07:03 AM
Smokinapankake

Fork is a Carver I found on evilbay. It was the only 1 inch threadless with low rider mounts I could find at a reasonable price. The axle to crown measurement was a tad long(15mm), but close enough. Yes, Powdercoat. If you look close at the head lugs you can see some bleeding, but overall it turned out great. If I did it again I’d just go one solid color and then outline the lugs. I really like the long chain stays; they give the bike an incredibly plush ride. Ishiwata MTB double butted 4130. In 1985 this was the top o the heap in Peugeot’s MTB line. Got it probably 15 years ago at a thrift store for $30 or so. It gets ridden more than any other bike I own...
Old 01-08-20, 08:19 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Wow. That's quite a transformation. What fork did you use? Is that paint, or powdercoat? If the latter, consider that a compliment, because PC is often too thick around the lugs. On this one, I can't tell.

My Canyon Express is one of my favorite bikes. I've kept it mostly stock, but have added some cargo capacity. I don't have a photo yet of its current configuration, but it is basically this:

... plus a front porteur style rack, which transforms it from a mountain goat to an urban mule. I was going to give it porteur-style handlebars, but those beautiful stock bull-moose bars just look so Right on there. They are keepers.
I'll post pics as soon as Spring arrives in these parts. But I've gotta say, you've done a great job with yours!

Now that's just dreamy. Beautiful build. How do you like the sprung saddle? I've thought about getting one a number of times, but was always worried about it being "too springy".
Old 01-08-20, 06:43 PM
maaakaaa

Bikes: 2011 Giant TranceX, 2015 Ralleigh Rumson, early 1990s Gitane CX, 1993 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1992 Bianchi Project-3, 1994 Norco Blitz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 3speedslow
One slice so far with no movement. Going for another slice of post, YUMM! I don’t mind cutting these out. I find it therapeutic (not too much of a rush to finish).
Goos luck! I’m doing the same thing on a ‘86 Rockhopper. I’ve been spreading it out over a few days.
Old 01-08-20, 07:02 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 1,073 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by maaakaaa
Goos luck! I’m doing the same thing on a ‘86 Rockhopper. I’ve been spreading it out over a few days.
Well, 2 good slices of seat post and no closer to removal. On top of that, the cheapo’ Kobalt handle for the saw busted. Why did they get rid of the all metal T handle? Now I have to ride over to Lowe’s and exchange it for another...

i know now you are having better luck then I!
Old 01-08-20, 08:56 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostGreenGuy
Now that's just dreamy. Beautiful build. How do you like the sprung saddle? I've thought about getting one a number of times, but was always worried about it being "too springy".
Yeah, sorry I didn't reply sooner. My company has cracked down on personal use of our PCs, and being a C&V kinda guy, all I have is a Trac-phone. So I have to wait until after work, and family obligations, to log-in to BF.

The sprung saddle kind of got assigned to this bike because weight was not a huge concern with the build. This would be my utility/cargo bike, with a cush ride and capacity to carry stuff when I go to the grocer or farmer's market. Strangely enough, this particular saddle is from Papillionaire (French-style, based in Australia?) - and they weren't available here in the `States for quite awhile. But now that I visited their site again, apparently they ARE available, and at a ridiculous price! https://www.papillionaire.com/au/sho...leather-saddle

That's an OMG right there...But all the builds I've done since, and all I have planned in the future, are going to use Brooks B17, Pro, or derivatives. My arse has grown hard, just like my arteries. I now absorb shocks with my legs.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 01-08-20, 09:44 PM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by DQRider
Yeah, sorry I didn't reply sooner. My company has cracked down on personal use of our PCs, and being a C&V kinda guy, all I have is a Trac-phone. So I have to wait until after work, and family obligations, to log-in to BF.

The sprung saddle kind of got assigned to this bike because weight was not a huge concern with the build. This would be my utility/cargo bike, with a cush ride and capacity to carry stuff when I go to the grocer or farmer's market. Strangely enough, this particular saddle is from Papillionaire (French-style, based in Australia?) - and they weren't available here in the `States for quite awhile. But now that I visited their site again, apparently they ARE available, and at a ridiculous price! https://www.papillionaire.com/au/sho...leather-saddle

That's an OMG right there...But all the builds I've done since, and all I have planned in the future, are going to use Brooks B17, Pro, or derivatives. My arse has grown hard, just like my arteries. I now absorb shocks with my legs.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful reply!!! I’ve been considering some sort of suspension on one of the old hardtails I use for trail riding. Possibly a sprung saddle or suspension seatpost like a Thudbuster. But the extra weight always seems to turn me off. I’m not sure whether the more cushioned ride is worth the weight or not. A sprung saddle would certainly look very nice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.