Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXVIII

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXVIII

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-20, 04:16 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Same here. There isn’t a day that goes by that I think.... Today is a good day to generate a clown wig.
Wow! Me too. I thought I was the only one

Old 04-06-20, 04:18 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Originally Posted by datlas
It's sunny and beautiful out. After a stressful day at work, I went out for a local ride. It was perfect, except for one thing...

While riding through a new planned community, going approx the posted speed limit of 15MPH, I was overtaken/passed and nearly taken out by a van. I did have to move slightly away from the curb to avoid a nasty grate, but there was NO reason for the driver to overtake me since I was going the speed limit anyway, and I would estimate the rear mirror came within 6 inches of hitting me.

I did yell loudly at him afterwards and I did use a bad word, for which I am contrite. However, I am still quite angry and am wondering if I should write a letter to the CEO. It's a big company, prolly the biggest company based in Philadelphia and on the Fortune 50 list of biggest USA companies.

Should I write an angry letter, or just let it go? Cross-post in the Advocacy forum??
Write that letter. Taking a doctor out in these times would be unforgivable.

Old 04-06-20, 04:25 PM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3349 Post(s)
Liked 3,610 Times in 1,239 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Stephen has a urinary blockage and is in the hospital for two days. $1,800. But he’s worth it.
Get better Stephen!
Old 04-06-20, 04:28 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Quoted: 10961 Post(s)
Liked 4,616 Times in 2,120 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
Back from the dentist. Crown installed. Kitchen re-stocked again(because I was out anyway). Picked up a couple things at the hdwe store(not uptown)(lucky), to help in finishing the water line project. Uptown closed up at noon, except for farmacies and food( I scored a couple bottles of gel at the farmacy ). And now I hope to self-isolate for at least a couple weeks. We still await the first case in our little town of ten thousand.
38°C
My wife had an emergency visit to the dentist this morning after she lost a filling last night. The dentist put a temporary filling in but said it has to have a crown later after things calm down a little.

Old 04-06-20, 04:29 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Stephen has a urinary blockage and is in the hospital for two days. $1,800. But he’s worth it.

Poor kitty. But lucky you're taking care of him. Fingers crossed it goes as with my poor Toby, who was fine then for many more happy years.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 04-06-20, 04:34 PM
Jadesfire 

Bikes: '88 Bianchi, '94ish Trek

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1085 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Get better Stephen!
+1. Feel better soon.
Old 04-06-20, 04:58 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Thanks. Got a voicemail. He’s doing fine but they saw some stuff on the X-ray. Can’t tell if it’s grit or stones. The latter may require surgery. A ($200) ultrasound may be able to tell the difference. They will call again tomorrow.
Old 04-06-20, 05:05 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Should I write an angry letter, or just let it go? Cross-post in the Advocacy forum??
Maybe a couple years ago this Goodwill truck pulled up to the light I was standing at and someone inside started unloading profanities at me for no discernible reason. wut

I tweeted about it, tagging the local branch. Someone replied and I gave them more details. Don't know if the driver ever heard anything, but I felt heard.

That said, I'm not sure directing a letter to the CEO is the best avenue to addressing the driver (maybe a local office?) unless it's 100% venting.

Last edited by Velo Vol; 04-06-20 at 05:11 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 05:18 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Here is a cut/paste of my email. I hope it's strong enough without making me seem like a French shower.
-----

Dear Mr Roberts:

I would like to bring to your attention (or to your designee) an unfortunate situation that occurred today, April 6, 2020.

I was riding my bicycle on Atwater Drive near the intersection of Atwater Drive and Quarry Point Rd in Malvern, Pa at precisely 4:15PM. The posted speed limit is 15MPH, and I was riding at about this speed. One of your “Comcast” repair vans was behind me, and overtook/passed me in a VERY unsafe manner, it came within a few inches of hitting me. That’s despite me going the 15MPH speed limit. So not only did the driver pass me dangerously, but also clearly went well over the posted speed limit in doing so.

I do want to apologize to the driver of the van for my loud and angry response. It was a very scary and emotional moment for me, so I did hurl a loud verbal insult. I raised my voice so I do expect the driver heard me. I am sorry about my language.

Nevertheless, he/she drove in a VERY unsafe and dangerous manner which was very upsetting to me. The state law requires a driver give a 4 foot berth when passing a cyclist.

My hope is that my apology gets passed on to the driver, but also that it stimulates a “teachable moment” not only to your driver as an individual, but also to your entire fleet. We all must share the road as safely as possible. I don’t want the driver to get any type of punishment or reprimand, but a gentle reminder would be appreciated. I am sure the driver saw me as I was wearing a very high-visibility yellow/black jersey and also had a bright rear blinking light.

Regards,

Douglas Atlas
Malvern PA
Likes For datlas:
Old 04-06-20, 05:52 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
Here is a cut/paste of my email. I hope it's strong enough without making me seem like a French shower.
-----

Dear Mr Roberts:

I would like to bring to your attention (or to your designee) an unfortunate situation that occurred today, April 6, 2020.

I was riding my bicycle on Atwater Drive near the intersection of Atwater Drive and Quarry Point Rd in Malvern, Pa at precisely 4:15PM. The posted speed limit is 15MPH, and I was riding at about this speed. One of your “Comcast” repair vans was behind me, and overtook/passed me in a VERY unsafe manner, it came within a few inches of hitting me. That’s despite me going the 15MPH speed limit. So not only did the driver pass me dangerously, but also clearly went well over the posted speed limit in doing so.

I do want to apologize to the driver of the van for my loud and angry response. It was a very scary and emotional moment for me, so I did hurl a loud verbal insult. I raised my voice so I do expect the driver heard me. I am sorry about my language.

Nevertheless, he/she drove in a VERY unsafe and dangerous manner which was very upsetting to me. The state law requires a driver give a 4 foot berth when passing a cyclist.

My hope is that my apology gets passed on to the driver, but also that it stimulates a “teachable moment” not only to your driver as an individual, but also to your entire fleet. We all must share the road as safely as possible. I don’t want the driver to get any type of punishment or reprimand, but a gentle reminder would be appreciated. I am sure the driver saw me as I was wearing a very high-visibility yellow/black jersey and also had a bright rear blinking light.

Regards,

Douglas Atlas
Malvern PA
Not even close to ******y. Very nice.
Likes For LAJ:
Old 04-06-20, 05:55 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22572 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
Not even close to ******y. Very nice.
Thanks. The chance that anything comes of this is low, but at least I got it off my chest.

BTW what I yelled at the driver was "FOUR FEET, *******! FOUR FEET!!"

edit: ass hole
commentary: you can say ass, you can say hole, you can say ass hole....but you can't say *******?
Old 04-06-20, 06:03 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Anyone else see that the actress who played Mrs. Kintner in “Jaws!” died of the virus? She was 91. “You knew, and still you did nothing. And now my boy is dead. I wanted you to know that.” How topical.
Old 04-06-20, 06:06 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Quoted: 11393 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 2,757 Posts
Originally Posted by abshipp
Get better Stephen!
This!
Old 04-06-20, 06:07 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20808 Post(s)
Liked 9,450 Times in 4,668 Posts
BTW what I yelled at the driver was "FOUR FEET, *******! FOUR FEET!!"
I've had what I have dubbed the "THREE FEET, *******!" conversation with drivers, too.
Old 04-06-20, 06:11 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 12736 Post(s)
Liked 7,647 Times in 4,055 Posts
Well, I guess I should send out another round of resumés. Gonna get too hot here any day now. I haven't sent any out lately since I got put on the short list for a County gig in Washington state. They said to be patient because of the Rona it'll be a bit til they get back in to the hiring process.

Totally thankful the current job has the work-from-home option, and they sound like they're open to long term remote workers, so there's a slight chance I could work anywhere as long as I have good internet. Since neither of those are confirmed I'm thinking I should scout out more options.
Likes For LesterOfPuppets:
Old 04-06-20, 06:12 PM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28577 Post(s)
Liked 1,849 Times in 1,313 Posts
Comcast goes by Xfinity, here.
Old 04-06-20, 06:15 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

OMG, two day stay. Pobre gato.
Old 04-06-20, 06:21 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Anyone else see that the actress who played Mrs. Kintner in “Jaws!” died of the virus? She was 91. “You knew, and still you did nothing. And now my boy is dead. I wanted you to know that.” How topical.
Sad. Speaking of topical stuff, while consuming old ("old" - couple years old) media this past week I came across two references to bobbing for apples. Think that's pretty much deader'n disco now?
Old 04-06-20, 06:25 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
It's sunny and beautiful out. After a stressful day at work, I went out for a local ride. It was perfect, except for one thing...

While riding through a new planned community, going approx the posted speed limit of 15MPH, I was overtaken/passed and nearly taken out by a van. I did have to move slightly away from the curb to avoid a nasty grate, but there was NO reason for the driver to overtake me since I was going the speed limit anyway, and I would estimate the rear mirror came within 6 inches of hitting me.

I did yell loudly at him afterwards and I did use a bad word, for which I am contrite. However, I am still quite angry and am wondering if I should write a letter to the CEO. It's a big company, prolly the biggest company based in Philadelphia and on the Fortune 50 list of biggest USA companies.

That kind of behavior deserves a nastygram. I think you should write it.

EDIT: I saw that you already drafted it.

Last edited by kissTheApex; 04-06-20 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-06-20, 06:28 PM
kissTheApex

Bikes: Yes please

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 536 Post(s)
Liked 308 Times in 199 Posts
Old 04-06-20, 06:30 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 10148 Post(s)
Liked 5,841 Times in 3,145 Posts
Thanks. Got a voicemail. He’s doing fine but they saw some stuff on the X-ray. Can’t tell if it’s grit or stones. The latter may require surgery. A ($200) ultrasound may be able to tell the difference. They will call again tomorrow.
He's on my long and lengthening list of...beings to hold in the Light these days.
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 04-06-20, 06:31 PM
MoAlpha
• —

-----

Dear Mr Roberts:

Regards,

Douglas Atlas
Malvern PA
Perfect. I generally put "MD" on that sort of thing, but maybe that's stupid.
Old 04-06-20, 06:35 PM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by WhyFi
I've had what I have dubbed the "THREE FEET, *******!" conversation with drivers, too.
I have it often. Reaction is 30% roll up window and ignore, 30% jump ugly, 30% defensive: "I didn't see you and you shouldn't be riding here anyway," and 10% abjectly apologetic.
Old 04-06-20, 06:41 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Perfect. I generally put "MD" on that sort of thing, but maybe that's stupid.
I was surprised there was no MD
​or whatever set of letters datlas has.
Old 04-06-20, 06:45 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
One more discovery was made today. If I don't kill myself working outside in the first half of the day, I can skip the nap and continue to be productive through the afternoon.
Woo woo
And it sure doesn't feel like Sunday. Feels like Tuesday
datlas Preoccupied much? I left this hanging there for you.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.