Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Converting QR skewer to thru axle

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-20, 06:53 PM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey peeps.

I have a 2014 Trek Fuel Ex5 29. Just got myself new wheels and noticed the rear is not a QR axle. I have a 142/12 thru axle, well, that is what is written on the frame...

From my searching, I am understanding this is completely convertible using something like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Conversion-...kAAOSwcu5UNfj7

However, does anyone know a cheaper option maybe where the thru axle is included? Cause I am not sure where to buy the thru axle either.. I am also not sure if that hardware will work nor what the pitch for it is and all that stuff... Need lots of help with someone more experienced.

Thanks all!

Last edited by SethB; 07-01-20 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-01-20, 07:11 PM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I have had the same problem. Actually in my case it was the opposite. I was able to take the thrubolt out of the hub and replace it with my quick release bolt and skewer from my old hub that I was replacing.
Old 07-01-20, 08:17 PM
SethB

Bikes: 2014 Trek Fuel Ex 5 29

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thruhiker
I have had the same problem. Actually in my case it was the opposite. I was able to take the thrubolt out of the hub and replace it with my quick release bolt and skewer from my old hub that I was replacing.
The hub won't accept the skewer. I already thought of that. Unless there is another conversion kit?

My old hub uses cone and ball bearings, new hub is sealed bearings.. The center piece to the hub is a threaded cylinder that the cone screws on to. I wouldn't know how to attach that threaded cylinder to the new hub without some kind of conversion kit. Plus I would rather use a thru axle as they are stronger anyhow. And I think it is possible, I just hate buying parts only to return them because they didn't work.