Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Kickr New vs Old

Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Kickr New vs Old

Old 11-20-16, 04:31 PM
JayhawKen
Knocking off the rust

Bikes: LeMond Tourmalet, Specialized Tarmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kickr New vs Old

Wahoo is clearing out leftover 1st generation Kickr's for $900 - 25% discount to the new versions.

Down in my cave, noise is a non-issue, and it will likely never be moved so the cool new handle adds nada.

I understand the absolute accuracy is maybe 1% or so better, but the consistency is more important to me at this point and I haven't read where the new version is any better in that regard.

So is there anything else about the upgraded Kickr that might make you spend the extra $300?

Has reliability / durability been good on the 1st gen models?

Cheers,
Ken
Old 11-23-16, 09:27 AM
Brian25

Bikes: Road, mountain and track bikes and tandems.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
What's a Kickr?
Old 11-23-16, 11:32 AM
C_Heath
Its Freakin HammerTime!!!

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix and Giant AnthemX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
My Buddy just bought the newest version at REI with a 20% coupon. It was $1199 so 20% off that plus tax.

https://www.xxcycle.com/logo_w150h100/bmc.jpg
Old 11-24-16, 09:09 AM
cvskates

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the first generation Kickr, using it for about a year. I'd guess I've put somewhere in the neighborhood of 500-600 hours on it (the joys of Ironman training over the winter).

In that time it was been faultless. I would not hesitate to purchase again if I had to do it over.

If your bike has a non-wheel based power meter, the Kickr can actually govern resistance based on the Power Meter, so consistency is near perfect (even with out spin downs). The Kickr was probably the best training related purchase I've ever made.

A side note on noise; the noise increases with speed. But if you're using the trainer in ERG mode, you can greatly reduce the noise just by running on the small ring up front and a bigger ring in the back.
Old 11-24-16, 09:29 AM
trainsktg

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 13 Posts
I have not had the opportunity to check out the newer Kickr, but I don't think my 1st gen is all that noisy anyway. I just bought mine in late July, but have put quite a bit of time on it since and it has been flawless.

Keith
Old 11-26-16, 03:38 PM
Da Reef

Bikes: Tarmac, Allez Sprint, Nashbar beater

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by C_Heath
My Buddy just bought the newest version at REI with a 20% coupon. It was $1199 so 20% off that plus tax.
Yep, plus using/getting rebates. This is how I bought my 1st gen.

To answer OP, I wouldn't hesitate to buy either but with the REI coupon I'd probably get the newer version.
Old 11-27-16, 08:24 PM
Athens80

Quoted: 138 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by cvskates
A side note on noise; the noise increases with speed. But if you're using the trainer in ERG mode, you can greatly reduce the noise just by running on the small ring up front and a bigger ring in the back.
+1 This makes a big difference on the Kickr IMO.
Old 12-03-16, 07:25 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
it's apparently easier on just about any trainer to use a lower gear at a given power level. I was having trouble with my kickr dropping out of erg mode using trainerroad, and they recommended that approach.

I would go with the newer trainer. They apparently change internals on a whim, which is a software developer's nightmare. I'm going to guess they prioritize software development time on the currently shipping product. Yes, this is not exactly a ringing endorsement of the product. When I bought mine I thought my problems were all due to using android to talk to it, but the Apple apps were just as broken, if the internets are to be believed. I have to say that right now everything is working fine, and I should probably just be happy about that, but it still leaves a bad taste.

Last edited by unterhausen; 12-03-16 at 07:29 AM.
Old 12-04-16, 09:50 AM
RShantz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 19 Posts
I've read about the lower gears working better. Why is that from a scientific standpoint?
Old 12-13-16, 11:31 PM
karlkras
CycleManiaque

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Diamondback Podium 7, Focus Izalco Tria 1.0, Surly LHT, Raleigh Technium, Brodie Romax

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, I just picked up the older model so I can't really provide a comparison. but when I was considering exactly as you one of the main points in the new model's favor was noise reduction. I've been using a LeMond Revolution prior to this and the Kickr is comparatively whisper quiet, the noise is not an issue.

I'm just getting the logistics of the setup worked out and have tried using their Wahoo Fitness app (for Android) and so far not impressed. After first 30 minutes the app went into a succession of start/resume modes, crashed, and required me to restart my phone to correct. Their support (so far) has been less than helpful. But the jury is still out.
Old 04-11-17, 08:41 AM
TDog

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have had original kickr for 2+ years. Changed my attitude toward turbo training. I was burned out after years of using a Cyclops fluid trainer which was medieval torture. Kickr plus Zwift plus Sufferfest plus TrainerRoad keeps things varied, measureable and programmatic (if desired). No mechanical issues with the Kickr. Usual gremlins interfacing with apps but nothing out of the ordinary. Bought Kickr2 week ago for a get away home. Same quality and reliability. However, it seems much harder at a given level of output. My 265 FTP wattage feels like 300+ watts on the new Kickr. A normal workout on old Kickr is an epic effort on the new one (if I can finish it!). Havent seen other people having this issue.