Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 08:00 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Oh you guys have enough workers? I'd heard that because agricultural visas had been shut down to prevent spread, everyone who left to get theirs renewed wasn't able to get back in and had been under the impression that most of the fieldhands were folks here on ag worker visas.
california, and the Southwest for that matter, will probably never experience a shortage of farm workers. Even in the mids of this crisis, fields are still being managed.
Old 04-09-20, 10:12 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Old 04-09-20, 10:29 AM
Cypress
Globo Gym lifetime member

Bikes: Fast ones

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked 614 Times in 306 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Just another month to get miles in the legs.
Old 04-11-20, 06:05 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
Just another month to get miles in the legs.
I wouldn't hold your breath on that. The bigger issue isn't them allowing events to happen, but attendance. This isn't just cycling. Many have said they won't attend sporting events, movies, restaurants, etc until there's a vaccine.
Most events have to hit certain numbers to break even.

It sucks man, I was supposed to be a Cat 3 this year, this was supposed to be the year I sank or swim in real masters races. I think all our plans are on hold.
Old 04-11-20, 10:39 PM
Cypress

Maaan. I’m going to have to back out of this thread.

It seems like a lot of you are suggesting that we all just give up hope and stop riding or planning on racing this year. I’m not that way. I have hope. I’m still working 40 hours a week, I ignore the sensationalized media outlets (all of them) that are screaming/yearning for the End of Days, and I ride my bike to put a smile on my face. Having the structure of a workout plan seems to be the only sense of control that I have outside of work, so I’m not giving that up. I don’t know how you guys can have the outlooks that I’m seeing in this thread and not want to neck yourselves on a daily basis.

I’m reading between the lines on what’s getting reported. I see Oregon’s number continue to climb by the hundreds every day, while the number of people testing positive can be counted one ONE HAND, literally. The numbers don’t add up (by a LOT), and politicians are admitting that they are allowing spurious data to boost COVID numbers. We are being lied to in such an obvious way, and anyone that has shown the proof has been shut down by the powers that be.

I have several nurse/doctor friends in different states that are being laid off because there aren’t any elective procedures happening and fewer people are running around getting hurt. The ER’s are the only people working because people with seasonal allergies think they have the virus.

I’m not open to other viewpoints on this, so if you want to quote me or argue, I won’t reply or entertain.

All I can do is play along until Big Brother tells me to give up something I’m unwilling to live without. Lord help me (and them) if that day ever comes.

Last edited by Cypress; 04-11-20 at 10:43 PM.
Old 04-12-20, 04:25 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Your lens is way too narrow. NYC and the northeast to a lesser extent is melting down. Until that's under control, and other areas aren't peaking nothing is going to happen. The only other way around that is shutting those places down and forcing the people to stay put. That's not apt to happen.

You're not racing when a few thousand people a day are dying.

The grass is green in your backyard? Cool for you. Don't boast about it, because it's not like that here.
Old 04-12-20, 05:59 AM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Reports out today from the UK were that the anitbody test doesn't work. Not sure if it's the same test. Stay tuned, I guess.

My wife lost someone today she worked closely with for the last decade. She was pretty gutted. She's deep into the single malt. Should be a fun couple of weeks. She works in a hospital in the poorest county in the country, with the highest rate of comorbidity.
I've seen some interviews recently with doctors "in the fight" and they were in agreement that the current tests produce approximately 30% false negatives! If true, they are practically useless considering what's at stake.
Old 04-12-20, 07:55 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
The grass is green in your backyard? Cool for you. Don't boast about it, because it's not like that here.
Indeed, I can attest in the Boston area things are bad. My wife works in education in a school in one of the tougher hit cities directly outside of Boston (which also happens to be majority Latino population) and she gets notified of every diagnosis involving her students' families (as well as hospitalizations among them). It's the most densely populated town in the state and folks are working class, so they don't get the luxury I do of working at home full time. My parents live about an hour south of me and told me that a married couple they knew passed away within a day of each other because they caught the virus from a visiting home worker. I am generally not a sky is falling type of person, but stuff is real at the moment.
Old 04-12-20, 08:33 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by Cypress
I’m going to have to back out of this thread.
Well thank you for that, at least.

I love bike racing and all, but if not doing so will keep even 1 person from dying needlessly, cancel my **** for the whole decade fam.
Likes For wktmeow:
Old 04-12-20, 08:44 AM
Cypress

Originally Posted by wktmeow
Well thank you for that, at least.

I love bike racing and all, but if not doing so will keep even 1 person from dying needlessly, cancel my **** for the whole decade fam.
I don’t think you understand what I wrote.

I have hope. You aren’t going to take that away from me, nor should you even try.
Old 04-12-20, 10:23 AM
procrit
carbon is too light

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 159 Posts
I’m going to advocate that we all just stay home indefinitely and not see anyone ever again. That would limit not just covid19 transmission, but all communicable diseases, and save tons of lives! Freedom and liberty is overrated. /sarcasm
Old 04-12-20, 10:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I don’t know how you guys can have the outlooks that I’m seeing in this thread and not want to neck yourselves on a daily basis.

I think this could serve as a solid summary of what you wrote. The rest of us are saying that in the context of what's going on bicycling isn't that important to us.
Old 04-12-20, 11:04 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
I've seen some interviews recently with doctors "in the fight" and they were in agreement that the current tests produce approximately 30% false negatives! If true, they are practically useless considering what's at stake.
it's kind of old news, and I think exactly what I wrote.

new tests are coming, but until there's extensive testing or a vaccine not much is going to happen is our society.
Old 04-12-20, 09:08 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
You may be aware of the two suicides in 3 days at the USAFA. There was recently a vigil for them and someone took these photos. About 900 are out there - including some pretty good cyclists.
They graduate Sat, and first 80 in the Space Force - really elite group (not my kid).

Old 04-13-20, 10:41 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Like I posted a while back - my wife's hospital stopped tested except for people being actively admitted and/or staff who have known exposure. Scores of patients have been "seen" and told they may have it and to be sent home to weather it out.

That in and of itself means we are grossly under-reporting the number of actual cases. Ergo - there isn't a single number associate with this that I think is even remotely correct save the deaths. It's very real. Sorry. Looking better here though so there is hope.

I have no expectation that we will race at all until Late July or August ...if at all. We have some emails going around behind the scenes that would be seriously depressing to anyone who still expects to race at all this year. Sorry.

Old 04-13-20, 10:43 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

I gotta be honest - we officially cancelled our crit when the last announcement was made public. I was actually kind of happy. I am seeing that in a lot of promoters. With numbers being what they have been for so long and only a handful of us actively still putting everything on... we are worn out. This is a well needed break for many of us. Let's hope that translates into renewed enthusiasm when we are allowed to get back to it.

Old 04-13-20, 11:21 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
My wife and I yesterday were discussing racing this year. We've heard rumors that a lot of the road season isn't going to be canceled, just pushed back. So, road season would be in October, Cross in January to March. Things like that.

But I'm not sure that's even possible, at least at the big level. I've been targeting Masters Track Nationals at T-Town this year, and realistically, that event could be pushed back into the fall and moved to LA, where it's indoors. But who will do that? USAC has furloughed about half its staff. Several people I know left and went to work for other organizations before that. I'm not sure they currently have the resources or capability to reschedule so many events. And even if they could, do they still have the manpower to put those events on? Can they recruit enough officials capable of rearranging their schedules for new dates? Most of the officials I know work full time jobs and officiate on the side.

The farther we get into this, the less optimistic I feel about any racing this year. I kind of agree with Psimet, that I wish they would just go ahead and call it. I know it's not what anyone wants, but it would at least offer a concrete decision, as opposed to sitting here waiting to find out.
Old 04-13-20, 12:00 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
My wife and I yesterday were discussing racing this year. We've heard rumors that a lot of the road season isn't going to be canceled, just pushed back. So, road season would be in October, Cross in January to March. Things like that.

But I'm not sure that's even possible, at least at the big level. I've been targeting Masters Track Nationals at T-Town this year, and realistically, that event could be pushed back into the fall and moved to LA, where it's indoors. But who will do that? USAC has furloughed about half its staff. Several people I know left and went to work for other organizations before that. I'm not sure they currently have the resources or capability to reschedule so many events. And even if they could, do they still have the manpower to put those events on? Can they recruit enough officials capable of rearranging their schedules for new dates? Most of the officials I know work full time jobs and officiate on the side.

The farther we get into this, the less optimistic I feel about any racing this year. I kind of agree with Psimet, that I wish they would just go ahead and call it. I know it's not what anyone wants, but it would at least offer a concrete decision, as opposed to sitting here waiting to find out.
Almost all of our local races have just outright cancelled. The large series like ToAD and the Intelligentsia Cup are trying to figure out what they are going to do. Gravel events seem to be rescheduling for August, Sept and October - cross season. Early cross races are already talking of cancelling because of that. The cross national championships won't be moved I don't believe. it's scheduled for December here in Chicago. If anything there won't be much to any of a season as lead up to it but it will still most likely happen.

Old 04-13-20, 01:10 PM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I gotta be honest - we officially cancelled our crit when the last announcement was made public. I was actually kind of happy. I am seeing that in a lot of promoters. With numbers being what they have been for so long and only a handful of us actively still putting everything on... we are worn out. This is a well needed break for many of us. Let's hope that translates into renewed enthusiasm when we are allowed to get back to it.
I think when this is all over there will be a renewed enthusiasm towards life in general. But beyond the pandemic, we're going to have a lot of people that will need to dig out of a huge economic hole left from being unemployed for god knows how long, so it's going to be awhile before we're out of this.
Likes For kensuf:
Old 04-13-20, 03:35 PM
furiousferret

I have to quit Facebook. Some of the conspiracy theorists on there are nuts and going down their rabbit hole of links it amazes me how many people think this whole thing is fake or a conspiracy. Also, are forced vaccinations really all that bad right now?

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Thanks for confirming what I thought (well, backed by polling data) and not making me out to be the bad guy...Right now you're probably thinking, 'what's he talking about?'
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 04-14-20, 08:01 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I have no idea what you're talking about.
Old 04-14-20, 11:07 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Looks like cross may be coming into question now as well. At least early season cross.

Old 04-14-20, 04:51 PM
furiousferret

I have no idea what you're talking about.
I think I triggered my buddy Cypress with my earlier comment
Old 04-14-20, 05:15 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Meh. I don't even think there's going to be pro racing, or pro sports, so a bunch of wannabes chasing each other around in spandex is going to be a pretty low societal priority. I mean, think about it, it's basically the most despised sport going. Maybe it happens, maybe it doesn't. I'm not holding a vigil over though. Granted I got my license in '90 so the sport doesn't owe me anything at this point.
Old 04-14-20, 06:53 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

So canceling all of road and then the first part of cross season too?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.