Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Rear Hub re-assembly - Dust Cap Confusion!

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 07:45 AM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey all! I'm fixing up a friend's 2009 rocky mountain strike, and while trying to reassemble the rear hub I've run into a little issue. I failed to keep track of which parts go where (stupid me!) and I can't figure out which cap goes on which side as I have two different ones. One is a standard metal ring, the other is metal ring with rubber. If I put the one with rubber on the drive side, it seals/protects the bearings perfectly, but the non-drive side doesn't seem to fit proper with the metal ring. It seems as if the cap is preventing the cone from meeting the bearings. If I put the one with the rubber on the non-drive side and the solid metal one the drive side, the bearings are exposed on the drive-side - that is, the bearings are slightly visible after complete re-assembly. I have myself a head scratcher. I know pics would be helpful, and I'll try to get some up soon, but I was hoping someone might be able to tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks!

Last edited by LoriRose; 06-28-20 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-28-20, 08:17 AM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
I had this same problem last week while trying to install a hub I took apart months ago. I used this pic from off the web. It's for shimano not sure what brand your working on. There thousands of youtube vids on it. Heres the blow up I used dont know if it will help you though. I'm not sure how to include a link but the park tool video on you tube should help you.
Old 06-28-20, 08:28 AM
LoriRose

Bikes: '90 Bianchi Grizzly, '91 Look mi70, '99 RM Hammer Race

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I've scoured the net, watched many videos - no hubs seem to resemble this one! I only have a few parts. shouldn't be that difficult!
Old 06-28-20, 11:57 AM
Buzzkill53120

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 2019, Trek Trek Madone 5.1 (2011), Trek 1400 (1991)

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 33 Posts
I believe the dust cap with rubber seal goes on the free hub side.