Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Double checking new wheel specs

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-20, 11:54 AM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts

I've been looking for new wheels for my 2013 Specialized Crosstrails Disc. There are many 'what's-the-best-wheel' threads so I have been loathe to add another to the pile. However, at the very end, since the wheels are non-returnable, I wanted to do a double check to see if I have overlooked something. The only two potential problems I can think of are:
1. Hub compatibility - I've measured between the drops on the bike: 100mm front, 135mm rear. Is there anything I should be double checking on the QR or cassette interface?
2. Brake rotor mount. Each rotor is held on by six bolts. Is it safe to assume a standardized bolt size/pattern?
Here is a link to the wheel set's website as well as a screenshot. Wheel Link

The only difference is I am using the NoBS rim instead of the Atlas. They are the same rim, only the NoBS does not use eyelets and is $60 cheaper for the set.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 07-18-20, 04:25 PM
hybridbkrdr
we be rollin'

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 24 Posts
As far as I know, you have a choice of Centerlock or 6 bolt. Centerlock might be more expensive but easier to work with.
Old 07-18-20, 05:57 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
It sounds like you have standard 100/135 QR hubs and dropouts. This is good (traditionally) as it's been the most common. Nicer wheels are often coming in different specification now (like through axles or Boost spacing, etc.), so you really have to look to make sure what you're looking at is 100/135 QR. Regarding the brake disc bolt pattern -- yes, it is a standard bolt pattern. There are two prevailing standards -- the 6-bolt that you have and something called Centerlock by Shimano. It uses a lock nut and spline system very similar to a cassette, so the disc slides over the splines and then is tightened to the hub with a large lock nut. In general, both systems work well and have their own plusses and minuses. You can switch to Centerlock if you find a good deal on a set of wheels with Centerlock hubs...it would just mean you need to buy new brake discs. In terms of lateral spacing, both are supposed to be interchangeable to my knowledge (so no worries there).
Old 07-18-20, 06:33 PM
Tanstaafl

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrails

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 11 Posts
Thanks guys. I'll keep the 6 bolt rotors. They have done well so far.

I double checked the hub specs and they are quick release Hub Linky
Old 07-19-20, 06:16 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Originally Posted by Tanstaafl
I've been looking for new wheels for my 2013 Specialized Crosstrails Disc. There are many 'what's-the-best-wheel' threads so I have been loathe to add another to the pile. However, at the very end, since the wheels are non-returnable, I wanted to do a double check to see if I have overlooked something. The only two potential problems I can think of are:
1. Hub compatibility - I've measured between the drops on the bike: 100mm front, 135mm rear. Is there anything I should be double checking on the QR or cassette interface?
2. Brake rotor mount. Each rotor is held on by six bolts. Is it safe to assume a standardized bolt size/pattern?
Here is a link to the wheel set's website as well as a screenshot. Wheel Link

The only difference is I am using the NoBS rim instead of the Atlas. They are the same rim, only the NoBS does not use eyelets and is $60 cheaper for the set.

Thanks!
Jeff
It looks like you're in the market for a strong wheelset, not a lightweight one.

If your rim is silver you may want to save $7 on the black nipples and perhaps even go with silver spokes.

Velocity is a great company, with great service. About 25 years ago I crashed and broke a bar end that a friend gave me; Velocity replaced it for free; twice. I really appreciate that to this day.

If you want a strong touring wheelset, this looks decent, and is compatible with your bike. I think you can do better in the hub department as these are house brand, probably Novatec.