Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Please help me pick a Fitness/Hybrid bike ! (details inside)

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-20, 11:57 AM
Norz80

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys !

Sadly my old Scott Sub 30 got stolen recently, and I have to buy a new bike. I've decided to buy an even nicer bike this time around. I've spent hours over the last few days looking up bikes and I feel like I've narrowed my choice down to a few models. Unless you guys have interesting suggestions to make, of course.
I've been biking for the last 35 years pretty much, but somehow don't know bikes very well. Hence me asking for some help here!
So, basically :

- Up to $1700 budget (which is I think a "bad" figure as it gets me super close to carbon frame but not quite there, right?) I could POSSIBLY stretch it to $2k if worth every penny. But ~$1500 would be ideal.
- Using it to commute to work (8-10 miles a day) but want also something "sport" enough for more ambitious rides every now and then.
- I'm 173cm/66kg (5'7/145 pounds) if that info matters somehow.
- To ride on roads mostly obviously, but has to be able to take "jumping" the occasional sidewalk or get quickly through some small gravels every now and then.

The bikes I've been looking at over the last few days :

- Scott Metrix 20 (10 is a wet dream money wise, unless it's really worth it ?)
- Alpenchallenge AC01 THREE (alum frame, carbon fork)
- Merida Speeder 400
- Merida Speeder 500
- Merida Speeder 900

Speaking of Speeders, is the upgrade from 400 to 500 to 900 worth it money/quality wise ? Or do you really need to go full carbon going from the Merida 400 to make it a REAL upgrade ?

Any thoughts, suggestions etc are very welcome !

Thanks a lot in advance

PS - I uploaded the Alpenchallnge and Speeder 400-500-900 specs all in one screenshot to make the call easier for you guys, but sadly I'm not allowed to post an URL here yet sorry !
Old 09-17-20, 11:35 PM
Namyangju

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I'm a fan of the Speeder 400. I've seen the 2021 iteration recently (which may be exactly the same as the previous year, not sure) and I want it/will get it. I've had a Crosstrail for the longest time, and the Speeder is just as solid and sturdy, yet incredibly lightweight. The Speeder 500 is only minimally more expensive, but comparing the specs I just think the 400 is slightly better than the 500. Just my opinion, as a value shopper. Can't comment on the 900.