Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help me adjust 10 speed indexing

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 08-09-20, 02:34 PM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 158 Posts

Trek with Campy 10 speed drive train. Ergo brifters. Replaced the chain and cassette. Having trouble adjusting the rear derailleur indexing. The front derailleur indexing was adjusted and is fine. When I shift up to the largest sprocket the chain goes up one by one pretty well. When coming down from the largest sprocket one at a time from the biggest sprocket it skips a sprocket coming down. I have been playing with the tension adjustment and can't seem to get it right. Whats the trick to get it dialed in ?
Old 08-09-20, 02:50 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
My # 1 on indexing is the derailleur hanger alignment ... new 10 is more critical than old 5 x 2 10 speeds..
Old 08-09-20, 02:58 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
New chain and cassette were mentioned. I would strongly recommend checking the rear
gear wire. On my ergo 10 bike I replace the rear gear wire with a fresh campy gear wire
at least once a season, and fresh campy gear cable housing about once every 4 or 5 seasons.

Also, the ergo mechanism should be serviced with fresh lube, g springs, and spring carriers
as needed. The beauty of having older serviceable shifters.
Old 08-09-20, 04:48 PM
frogman

Thanks for the tips guys. I will check the derailleur hanger aligment and I didn't mention that I installed new shift cables and housing.
Old 08-09-20, 04:49 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3646 Post(s)
Liked 5,378 Times in 2,730 Posts
In addition, check that the limit screw for the big cog is not too tight. If you have to force the chain onto the big cog, against the limit, it can spring down when released.
Old 08-09-20, 06:09 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
Trek with Campy 10 speed drive train. Ergo brifters. Replaced the chain and cassette. Having trouble adjusting the rear derailleur indexing. The front derailleur indexing was adjusted and is fine. When I shift up to the largest sprocket the chain goes up one by one pretty well. When coming down from the largest sprocket one at a time from the biggest sprocket it skips a sprocket coming down. I have been playing with the tension adjustment and can't seem to get it right. Whats the trick to get it dialed in ?
If the shifter skips a gear, replace its G-springs and carrier.

If you shift through two positions before it moves to a smaller cog, replace the shift cable (which is probably frayed) and housing (noting the rear loop should be at least 330mm long). Under cable routing having shifters level with the bar tops cut cable life in half. Cables can fail in under 2000 miles when you shift like you have ADHD. Housings last longer, but go high friction in about two cables and its simpler to just replace them at the same time.

Hanger alignment could also be an issue, although I'd bet on one of the first two causes which are common.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-09-20 at 06:13 PM.
Old 08-09-20, 06:16 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 3,381 Times in 2,046 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
https://branfordbike.com/ergo-shifter-parts
Old 08-09-20, 10:56 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt

If you shift through two positions before it moves to a smaller cog, replace the shift cable (which is probably frayed) and housing (noting the rear loop should be at least 330mm long). Under cable routing having shifters level with the bar tops cut cable life in half. Cables can fail in under 2000 miles when you shift like you have ADHD. Housings last longer, but go high friction in about two cables and its simpler to just replace them at the same time.

Hanger alignment could also be an issue, although I'd bet on one of the first two causes which are common.

Thanks for the info Drew,
I replaced both the cable and housing. Sounds like the G-springs and carrier are suspects as you said. I have had the Ergo shifter for a while now, probably a good idea to do a rebuild.
It has been very reliable but they don't last forever. At least it can be overhauled unlike Shimano which would go in the trash can.
Old 08-09-20, 11:01 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by dedhed

Thanks dedhed !
Very timely. I am planning on doing a rebuild now and the Branford Bike resource for the Campy parts is super !
Old 08-09-20, 11:04 PM
frogman

Originally Posted by dedhed

Thanks dedhed !
Very timely. I am planning on doing a rebuild now and the Branford Bike resource for the Campy parts is super !
Old 08-10-20, 11:26 AM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 459 Times in 361 Posts
Before you go tearing apart the shifter, count your clicks and watch your cable with the bike on a stand. If the cable is moving with each click, and you get 9 clicks, then it isn't the shifter. You'll know when you need to replace the G spring when it shifts without clicks. It's not that it'll hurt to replace them, it just may not fix your problem. Before I replaced mine the shifting had become soft and after they shifted like new again. I had Branford rebuild the shifter after a crash and they did a great job but 13 years later I needed to replace the springs and I did it myself.

And remember the Campy secret handshake! What is it? Shh, it's a secret.
Old 08-10-20, 06:37 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by frogman
............ I installed new shift cables and housing.
It may be as simple as a burr or rough spot at one of the cable housing ends, causing extra cable friction.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html