Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I a Bad Cyclist?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I a Bad Cyclist?

Old 08-09-20, 07:23 PM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Am I a Bad Cyclist?

So I decided to take an easy ride down to a popular lake area today. Turned out that it was a pretty busy Sunday morning. As I got to a spot where 3 trails/roads came together, a large group of recreational riders came up 1 trail, I was coming in the opposite direction, and a guy on what looked like a brand new Colnago C64 comes in from the 3rd trail. He slows, starts the "I can't get out of the clipless pedals" dance, then falls over. My only thought was I hope he didn't damage the Colnago.

Am I a bad cyclist?
Old 08-09-20, 07:26 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
If you cared more about the bike than him, no. You're not a bad cyclist, just a bad person.

(i'm joking)
Likes For GlennR:
Old 08-09-20, 07:26 PM
Mountain Mitch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Exp ert Road and Specialized Stump Jumper FS Mountain; De Vinci Caribou touring, Intense Tracer T275c, Cramerotti, Specialized Allez, Condor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 56 Posts
So, was the bike ok?

For most guys I know that ride bikes like that, their first thought if they fall is: “I hope the bike’s ok!”. So, no, you are just a normal cyclist.
Likes For Mountain Mitch:
Old 08-09-20, 07:34 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18394 Post(s)
Liked 15,467 Times in 7,308 Posts
Lame.
Old 08-09-20, 07:39 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You didn't kick him over, he fell over. No foul.

I watched a guy trying to be the boss and trackstand his Colnago (what are the odds?) at a red light some months ago.
He backpedaled a little too far, and when the light went green, he mashed it, the chain dropped right off the front ring and he taint-smashed the top tube. Didn't fall down, at least.
While I didn't feel bad for him (just put a foot down, man) my immediate reaction as a cyclist was...
Old 08-10-20, 12:59 AM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
You are a bad cyclist.
You are a very, very bad cyclist, and you should be punished.

--Shannon
Old 08-10-20, 01:32 AM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Guy wipes out on a paved downhill at speed. As he's sliding along the road he's desperately holding his bike off the pavement. A person on the sidewalk yells at him to let the bike go. The bicyclist yells back, "NO! Flesh heals. Campagnolo doesn't."

Cheers
Old 08-10-20, 06:48 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1362 Post(s)
Liked 1,669 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN
So I decided to take an easy ride down to a popular lake area today. Turned out that it was a pretty busy Sunday morning. As I got to a spot where 3 trails/roads came together, a large group of recreational riders came up 1 trail, I was coming in the opposite direction, and a guy on what looked like a brand new Colnago C64 comes in from the 3rd trail. He slows, starts the "I can't get out of the clipless pedals" dance, then falls over. My only thought was I hope he didn't damage the Colnago.

Am I a bad cyclist?
No. I cite Rule #4 . (https://www.velominati.com/)
Old 08-10-20, 07:39 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,000 Times in 488 Posts
I could argue that the guy on the Colnago is a bad cyclist.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 08-10-20, 07:59 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
if you have to ask
Old 08-10-20, 10:12 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by RGMN

Am I a bad cyclist?
Ha! Where was this?

I had a similar thing happen at Lake Harriet a couple weeks ago - my boy was on his bike and I was towing the little one in the Burley. As we approached the sharp-ish left turn to head north, some guy behind us got impatient and didn't want to wait for us to navigate through it. He decided to turn on the nearer ped path and then cross over the grass to the bike path ahead of us. Unfortunately for him, his wheel stuck and he ended up smacking the pavement in about 10 yards in front of us. While I wasn't concerned about his bike, I did have to stifle a laugh (he seemed to be fine other than scrapes and bruises to his ego and, to a lesser extent, his body).
Old 08-10-20, 10:28 AM
SVTNate
Packers Fan

Bikes: 2010 Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 30 Posts
I went for a run on Saturday instead of riding. Long story short, I met a piece of sidewalk that didn't like me, and I took a tumble. Skinned up my elbow and knee pretty good.

My first thought upon getting up was "did any pretty girls see that?"

But my second thought was "I'm so glad it was me and not my Roubaix"

Skin heals, carbon fiber don't
Old 08-10-20, 12:42 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
I had a mildly bad crash a couple of June's ago, and was concussed with bruising and pinched nerves up in my neck. Dazed and numb in my left arm (which I though that I had broken in the moment), my only thought when found on the ground by a passer by was to ask "is my bike okay?" followed by "would you please call for an ambulance?". I then asked if he would call my wife and then my boss.

Though somewhat dazed, I still insisted that my bike ride IN THE AMBULANCE with me to the hospital. The bike was fine. I would go on to require weeks of PT and rest.

The good news was that the telephone pole that I struck saved me from falling into onrushing traffic, where I certainly would have been killed. It was a good day. Did I mention that my bike was okay?
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 08-10-20, 06:01 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Difficult to release lipless pedals are a safety feature, designed to protect the bike in case of falls
Likes For Pratt:
Old 08-10-20, 07:37 PM
RGMN

Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Ha! Where was this?

I had a similar thing happen at Lake Harriet a couple weeks ago - my boy was on his bike and I was towing the little one in the Burley. As we approached the sharp-ish left turn to head north, some guy behind us got impatient and didn't want to wait for us to navigate through it. He decided to turn on the nearer ped path and then cross over the grass to the bike path ahead of us. Unfortunately for him, his wheel stuck and he ended up smacking the pavement in about 10 yards in front of us. While I wasn't concerned about his bike, I did have to stifle a laugh (he seemed to be fine other than scrapes and bruises to his ego and, to a lesser extent, his body).
Lake of the Isles, where you cross to go to Bde Maka Ska. Colnago rider was coming off the Greenway.
Likes For RGMN: