Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Felt Footprint

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-11, 07:05 PM
hamish5178

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Deademeat
Where where you a month ago before I registered on the forums? Your customer service sucks.

Dave
Dave,

BikesDirect strives to provide quality merchandise to American customers at affordable prices. We do this by cutting out the middle man, selling bikes straight from the factory to you. Our prices for exceedingly well-equipped bikes, from cyclocross, to road, to comfort cruisers, are the best in the industry. At BikesDirect you can get all your favorite brands, like SRAM, Shimano, and Deda, on high-quality steel, aluminum, and full carbon frames, at a fraction of a brick and mortar store's prices. Our bikes ship 80% assembled. For inexperienced cyclists, we recommend having your local shop complete assembly.

Please subscribe to our news letter for automatic updates on bikes arriving, specials, and prepay offers. Send an email to newsletter@bikesdirect.com

Want a different way to get updates? Want more chances at some exclusive deals and special promo items before anyone else?

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and be in on some very cool stuff

Bikesdirect.com FaceBook Page:
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bikesd...9864367?v=wall

Thanks,

Alex at BikesDirect.
Old 07-31-11, 07:15 PM
DrewShannon

Bikes: 2012 Mercier Kilo TT (black)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm somewhat handicapped from the fact I know of no other SS/fixed riders in the area, meaning I have to work a lot of this out without real-world assistance - I managed to get into the SS thing without any peer pressure whatsoever. I'm not sure that it's so much that it has to be "stock" as that I want a nice frameset with horizontal dropouts and 2 brakes, and I don't hate the convenience of not having to figure everything out myself (particularly since I am still learning a lot of this, and I seem to find a new size/thread/complication every damn time I try something new).

Dave
I don't have experience with the bike, but if SS is your thing, $1599 doesn't seem like THAT much for a nice stock bike that perfectly fits your needs and desires, especially compared to the many thousands of dollars that people spend on more traditional road bikes.
Old 08-01-11, 11:08 AM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Holy crap expensive. I have never heard of this bike before seeing this thread, but as has been pointed out, 18.7 pounds is actually kind of heavy for a carbon frame singlespeed.

Comparatively:
https://www.wabicycles.com/lightning_...ec_orng11.html
$900, 15.1 pounds (?!), scandium frame, SS, brakes

https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...alforce_10.htm
$1600, 16.75 pounds, carbon frame, ultegra components
Old 08-01-11, 11:54 AM
EssEllSee
Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JesusBananas
Holy crap expensive. I have never heard of this bike before seeing this thread, but as has been pointed out, 18.7 pounds is actually kind of heavy for a carbon frame singlespeed.

Comparatively:

Thats what I was thinking. For that price, I feel like it should be in the 16lb range..
Old 08-01-11, 12:05 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by EssEllSee
Thats what I was thinking. For that price, I feel like it should be in the 16lb range..
Don't forget that it includes a chain guard to protect skinny jeans and a beernuts tool, which probably adds several pounds weight. But, seriously, a SRAM S300 crank on a $1600 bike ?

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Old 08-01-11, 03:51 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Comparatively:
Add both brakes, drops and real brake levers and its probably not going to be 15 pounds. Still impressively light though, just not really what I was looking for. A year ago I would probably have seriously considered buying this though (although probably not in tangerine). Haven't seen a scandium frame in ages.

You mean a performance bike maker would charge more for a niche single-speed than an internet distributor does for a mass-produced road bike? I'm shocked. Shocked I tell you. I might actually point my wife at this when she wants to upgrade though - its a pretty big step up from her current Trek.

The big question for me is the frame - if it is decent then it might be worth it for me (borderline - I'm not arguing that there is a price premium here, but maybe). If it isn't then it definitely isn't. Since no-one has seen one it's a bit of a tough call.

Dave
Old 08-01-11, 04:04 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TejanoTrackie
Don't forget that it includes a chain guard to protect skinny jeans and a beernuts tool, which probably adds several pounds weight. But, seriously, a SRAM S300 crank on a $1600 bike ?
Oh my god. Let it go. At this point I think you are just jealous - if I buy one then give me you address and I'll mail it to you, I promise. Nobody else needs to know. You probably have a point on the cranks, but they aren't *that* bad.

Dave
Old 08-01-11, 04:06 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Add both brakes, drops and real brake levers and its probably not going to be 15 pounds. Still impressively light though, just not really what I was looking for. A year ago I would probably have seriously considered buying this though (although probably not in tangerine). Haven't seen a scandium frame in ages.
True, and also that weight is based on a fixed cog + lockring, which is a lot lighter than a single freewheel. Still, it will be a good 2 pounds lighter and $700 cheaper than the Felt, which is not customizable the way the Wabi is. The Wabi also comes in a very nice sparkle black as well. Still, it's clear that you've got a hard on for the Felt, so why don't you buy the dang thing and stop arguing with everyone about alternate suggestions. BTW, I just bought a Wabi Lightning in black, and like it a bunch.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 08-01-11 at 05:16 PM. Reason: I meant Felt not Trek
Old 08-01-11, 04:39 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, and also that weight is based on a fixed cog + lockring, which is a lot lighter than a single freewheel. Still, it will be a good 2 pounds lighter and $700 cheaper than the Trek, which is not customizable the way the Wabi is. The Wabi also comes in a very nice sparkle black as well. Still, it's clear that you've got a hard on for the Trek, so why don't you buy the dang thing and stop arguing with everyone about alternate suggestions. BTW, I just bought a Wabi Lightning in black, and like it a bunch.
This x 1000.

I linked the Bikesdirect carbon road bike for comparison, because it is:
1) The same price (for comparison)
2) Carbon frame (since you seem to want carbon)
3) Lighter
4) Has Ultegra components (i.e. is an entire road bike yet still lighter than the Felt.)

Comparatively, if I were given $1600 to spend, I would probably buy this instead: https://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...heat_rival.htm
(I like titanium. )

In other words, even if I were to ever spend $1600 on a singlespeed bike (ha!), the Felt is not $1600 worth of bike. If you wanted advice, the Wabi seems like an excellent choice for you. If you wanted us to convince you to buy the Felt, well, see TT's post.
Old 08-01-11, 04:56 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True, and also that weight is based on a fixed cog + lockring, which is a lot lighter than a single freewheel. Still, it will be a good 2 pounds lighter and $700 cheaper than the Trek, which is not customizable the way the Wabi is. The Wabi also comes in a very nice sparkle black as well. Still, it's clear that you've got a hard on for the Trek, so why don't you buy the dang thing and stop arguing with everyone about alternate suggestions. BTW, I just bought a Wabi Lightning in black, and like it a bunch.
In my defense, I did start the thread asking for experience with a specific bike. With most of my responses I've been going for the "I respect and appreciate your opinion on X. Perhaps someone might have some experience with Y". And make fun of people. Sometimes more the make fun of people thing. I like arguing over the suggestions though, but if the Internet is about to run out of opinions we should probably stop.

I also don't have a hard-on for the Trek. That's insulting. I have a hard-on for the Felt.

Dave
Old 08-01-11, 05:06 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you do realize that sarcasm is very, very poorly conveyed through the written word (and relatedly, the internet), and what you may view as just being sarcastic or a joke comes off as being dickish instead.

Just saying.
Old 08-01-11, 05:13 PM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have that Felt. It is the nicest bike I have ever ridden. You wont regret purchasing it. It definitely gets my stamp of approval.
Old 08-01-11, 05:15 PM
MuppetMower

Bikes: IRO Mark V

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
P.S. I dont own, nor have I even seen, that bike. Buy whatever you think is coolest.
Old 08-01-11, 07:27 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hope you do realize that sarcasm is very, very poorly conveyed through the written word (and relatedly, the internet), and what you may view as just being sarcastic or a joke comes off as being dickish instead.

Just saying.
Condescension translates brilliantly though, and never comes of as Dickish. Should I add some <sarcasm> tags to that, or do you think people will get it?

I'm going to apologize immediately for the above, since you probably have a point, have given some useful suggestions, and don't really deserve it, but since you just pointed out I am a sarcastic dick I may as well get some mileage out of it. Smiley face .

So in conclusion, I have found the one bike in the world that no-one in the world has ridden. I should buy a completely different bike because it's lighter. I should buy a completely different bike with gears because it's better value (odd advice for a SS forum perhaps, but OK), and I should buy a 12k bike because I have more money than sense. And someone decided to register the username "muppetmower". He may also be a sarcastic dick.

Got it. Should probably spend more time riding and less time seeking strangers opinions on the interwebs.

Dave
Old 08-01-11, 08:22 PM
Hothead286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Should probably spend more time riding and less time seeking strangers opinions on the interwebs.

Dave
You're a smart man, Dave. Have fun riding.
Old 08-01-11, 09:13 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

I am not a crook, but I am a Dick

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 08-02-11, 09:11 AM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MuppetMower
I have that Felt. It is the nicest bike I have ever ridden. You wont regret purchasing it. It definitely gets my stamp of approval.
Originally Posted by MuppetMower
P.S. I dont own, nor have I even seen, that bike. Buy whatever you think is coolest.

I should buy a completely different bike because it's lighter.
I was under the impression that this was one of the things you were looking for, so I made suggestions accordingly.
Old 08-02-11, 12:46 PM
andrizzle
Enson

Bikes: Surly Steamroller

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I HAVE NOTHING TO ADD TO THIS THREAD BUT HAVE ENJOYED READING IT. ALSO, I REALLY ENJOY THAT deademeat SIGNS HIS NAME AFTER EVERY POST. I WANT TO START DOING THAT. <straight face. loud voice. no sarcasm>

Andy

Last edited by andrizzle; 08-02-11 at 12:47 PM. Reason: needed to convey my tone with tags
Old 08-02-11, 01:04 PM
prooftheory
pro in someone's theory

Bikes: FTP

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
TT,
Why are you down on the S300?
Old 08-02-11, 01:23 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts

I don't get it. My aluminum langster weight at 19lbs completely stock. I guess you are not doing it for weight?

Are you getting blinded by the carbon factor? When looking for my track machine, I looked at carbon, but found an aluminum bike I fell in love with. Yeah, it costs over twice as much as the langster, but is much faster. It weighs 15 lbs, but weight isn't the only consideration.

The langster is pretty bulletproof - which is nice for commuting (the brakes come in handy in traffic too!)
Old 08-02-11, 02:41 PM
CharneK
SpecialK

Bikes: 2007 SE Lager

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like you want one. Do it. If you're commuting and training on the same thing this actually seem like it would make sense for you.
Old 08-02-11, 04:06 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Originally Posted by prooftheory
TT,
Why are you down on the S300?
I'm not against putting an S300 on a sub $1K bike, but it has no business being used on a $1600 bike like that Felt, which deserves something higher quality such as an Omnonom. It would be the same problem if they put an Andel on it, which I like on my cheaper FG bikes like the Leader 721tr, but wouldn't dream of using on the Pista Concept. Consider that the Felt TK2, which also has an MSRP of $1600 does in fact come with Omnonoms.

Originally Posted by Dcv
Old 08-02-11, 04:54 PM
JesusBananas
Banana-tastic!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
such as an Omnonom

It took me a little while to figure out that you meant Omnium.
Old 08-02-11, 08:08 PM
Deademeat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I don't get it. My aluminum langster weight at 19lbs completely stock. I guess you are not doing it for weight?

Are you getting blinded by the carbon factor? When looking for my track machine, I looked at carbon, but found an aluminum bike I fell in love with. Yeah, it costs over twice as much as the langster, but is much faster. It weighs 15 lbs, but weight isn't the only consideration.

The langster is pretty bulletproof - which is nice for commuting (the brakes come in handy in traffic too!)
Depends - is it a great frame surrounded by heavier component, or is it a heavy frame that doesn't really offer much advantage beyond my langster? I'm looking for a single speed. I'm looking for something that actually comes with 2 brakes, and doesn't require me to drill the rear and use zipties, plus track angles probably aren;t going to be the best for me. I want horizontal drop-outs and 120mm rear spacing, and I wouldn't hate carbon. I don't see many other options beyond a 4k Trek, or a custom made Calfee. It wouldn't be particularly great value, but if the frame was on par with some of Felt's road frames then it would be somewhere to start hanging lighter parts off, and if i stick to my original criteria, what else is there? To a certain extent I am also blinded by the carbon factor, since I think the frame looks pretty sexy, but I never claimed to be perfect. I would also be stimulating the economy - patriotism at its finest.

Since no-one knows a damn thing about it, other than the fact that it comes with a Beernutz tool, we have pretty much come full circle, I'll just go ahead and say it.

Kilo TT.

Unless I can find one to actually tryout somewhere local this whole thread is pretty much entirely moot since I shall just continue to ride my Langster until it falls apart, so I hope everyone is at least entertained.

Dave
Old 08-02-11, 08:22 PM
Hothead286

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hamish5178
This new guy seems cool, let's keep him.
Agreed. Hang out here more.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.