Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Kickstand mount pressing on derailleur cable

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-12, 07:27 PM
ShiningMasamune

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all,

I recently bought a kickstand for my Kona Dew Plus. Mounting it is proving to be a challenge. The problem is that the mount presses against the front derailleur cable. Pictures:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077177/201...2016.30.51.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077177/201...2016.30.23.jpg

Is this okay? Will it wear the cable down? Can I loosen the cable to compensate?

(Ignore the tiewrap holding my fender in place, it's not relevant. The screw is right up against the frame.)
Old 08-28-12, 07:33 PM
pdedes
ka maté ka maté ka ora

Bikes: breezer venturi - red novo bosberg - red, pedal force cg1 - red, neuvation f-100 - da, devinci phantom - xt, miele piste - miche/campy, bianchi reparto corse sbx, concorde squadra tsx - da, miele team issue sl - ultegra

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Kickstands are verbotten. Remove it now.
Old 08-28-12, 07:34 PM
scotjonscot

Bikes: some

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
No. Yes. No. Get a stand that mounts to the rear of the stays.
Old 08-28-12, 08:38 PM
DeanB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can't find a rule that bans kickstands (explicitly or otherwise, only pumps and mirrors) but I really think there should be...
Old 08-28-12, 08:42 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
Originally Posted by DeanB
I can't find a rule that bans kickstands (explicitly or otherwise, only pumps and mirrors) but I really think there should be...
You'd be wrong on that count.
Old 08-28-12, 08:58 PM
SCochiller
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by shiningmasamune
hi all,

i recently bought a kickstand for my kona dew plus.
you.are.banned
Old 08-28-12, 09:06 PM
DeanB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
You'd be wrong on that count.
Sorry, frame pumps that AREN'T Silca obviously.
Old 08-28-12, 09:48 PM
ShiningMasamune

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scotjonscot
Thanks for being the sole helpful reply... But unfortunately I can't get a rear-mounted one because of the disk breaks. See here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/441155 There's no way I can put something between the cable in the mount to prevent wear?

Seriously, if kickstands are a forbidden topic then you people really need to list that. Pretty annoying get this kind of treatment on a site ostensibly for helping people with bike problems...
Old 08-28-12, 10:02 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by ShiningMasamune
Thanks for being the sole helpful reply... But unfortunately I can't get a rear-mounted one because of the disk breaks. See here: https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/441155 There's no way I can put something between the cable in the mount to prevent wear?

Seriously, if kickstands are a forbidden topic then you people really need to list that. Pretty annoying get this kind of treatment on a site ostensibly for helping people with bike problems...
It's a good idea to read a few posts before arriving at conclusions to the atmosphere. It makes no sense for people to hang out talking about stuff they already know about, so you'll see a lot of screwing around here with an occasional useful tidbit.

With regards to your original question, there are reasons why good bikes don't come with them, people who ride a lot don't use them, and you're having trouble figuring out how to add one to your bike. It boils down to they really aren't necessary. There is practically always a place to lean your bike and when there isn't, you can lay it flat.

I realize that this undoubtedly sounds like total BS to you, but as you spend more time on the bike, it will make sense. If you need a way to think about it, there are some things that are really common among newer riders and practically unheard of among the experienced ones. Everyone started sometime, and let's just say the explanation isn't that everyone lost their common sense along the way.
Old 08-28-12, 10:04 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12764 Post(s)
Liked 7,678 Times in 4,074 Posts
Hahaha. Don't get too worked up. Try posting in Commuting or possibly Touring. At least a few regulars in those sections are stupid enough...... errrr, ummm I mean experienced in the ways of the kickstand.
Old 08-28-12, 10:04 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Try a click-stand. You don't need to attach anything to your bike. A click-stand is pocket sized bike stand.

Here is a link:

https://www.click-stand.com/
Old 08-28-12, 10:07 PM
pgjackson

Bikes: Rossetti Vertigo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 70 Posts

Not being able to mount a kick stand on a road bike is not a problem. It's not meant to be there.
Old 08-28-12, 10:10 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
It's a good idea to read a few posts before arriving at conclusions to the atmosphere. It makes no sense for people to hang out talking about stuff they already know about, so you'll see a lot of screwing around here with an occasional useful tidbit.

With regards to your original question, there are reasons why good bikes don't come with them, people who ride a lot don't use them, and you're having trouble figuring out how to add one to your bike. It boils down to they really aren't necessary. There is practically always a place to lean your bike and when there isn't, you can lay it flat.

I realize that this undoubtedly sounds like total BS to you, but as you spend more time on the bike, it will make sense. If you need a way to think about it, there are some things that are really common among newer riders and practically unheard of among the experienced ones. Everyone started sometime, and let's just say the explanation isn't that everyone lost their common sense along the way.
True. I use a Click-stand on club rides because I don't want to lay my bike on its side. Our club rides tend to be over 100 riders and sometimes there just isn't a lot of places to lean a bike.
Old 08-28-12, 10:16 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Originally Posted by Carbon Unit
True. I use a Click-stand on club rides because I don't want to lay my bike on its side. Our club rides tend to be over 100 riders and sometimes there just isn't a lot of places to lean a bike.
Sure, but you gotta admit you're an outlier. I'm pretty sure I see more 'bents than kickstands in a sufficiently large group of roadies...
Old 08-28-12, 10:23 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by banerjek
Sure, but you gotta admit you're an outlier. I'm pretty sure I see more 'bents than kickstands in a sufficiently large group of roadies...
Yes, even in my bike club there is only one other guy that carries one. I would never in a million years put a kick stand on my bike but a collapsible tent poll that fits in my middle jersey pocket isn't so bad. But, I could live without it.
Old 08-28-12, 10:30 PM
OldManRiley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

No, you can't. It's less a matter of cable wear and more a matter of cable path. Stuff pressing on cables = bad.

As a fellow new member, let me give you a piece of advice: the "road bike" section is going to be geared (PUN!) towards roadies (the people, usually guys, who feel the need to put on lycra every time they get on a bike, discuss how much higher their saddle is than their bars to maximize how "aero" they are, and ride at warp speeds in something called "pacelines" while looking like they are having zero fun). I happen to be a roadie, but I'm also a daily commuter (on a bike much similar to yours - but still with no kickstand ) so I'm a bit more understanding.

FYI: Kickstands on a true road (read "racing") bike are anathema for both aesthetic and weight reasons. And a Kona Dew is NOT a road bike. It has flat bars, disc brakes, and 35c tires. So you're going to get a bit of guff in the roadie area. It's all in good fun, but if you want a serious answer for future questions you'd be better served in the commuter area (or possibly the bike mechanic), as someone previously mentioned.
Old 08-28-12, 10:36 PM
Carbon Unit

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by scotjonscot

Most roadies try to reduce all unnessary weight. Fenders, racks, kickstands, panniers are things road bikes were not intended to have. Kick stands belong on touring bikes.
Old 08-28-12, 10:52 PM
Crash_N_Carry

Bikes: 2005 Raliegh Grand Prix w/significant upgrades. 2013 Specialized Rockhopper

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I never understood why modern road bikes didn't have kickstands until the mechanic at my LBS told me why.

1: Ignoring the clearance issues you're experiencing, the attachment mechanism of the kickstand can deform the frame (and in the case of carbon fiber, it can outright ruin the frame).

2: In the case of an accident, there's a possibility of the kickstand skewering your calf.

3: It does add extra weight to the bike so the weight weenies complain about it.

Instead of attaching a kickstand to the bike, consider using something like this:

https://www.topeak.com/products/Stora...FlashStandSlim

Hi all,

I recently bought a kickstand for my Kona Dew Plus. Mounting it is proving to be a challenge. The problem is that the mount presses against the front derailleur cable. Pictures:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077177/201...2016.30.51.jpg
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2077177/201...2016.30.23.jpg

Is this okay? Will it wear the cable down? Can I loosen the cable to compensate?

(Ignore the tiewrap holding my fender in place, it's not relevant. The screw is right up against the frame.)
Old 08-28-12, 10:53 PM
Stealthammer
Still spinnin'.....

Bikes: Fisher Opie freeride/urban assault MTB, Redline Monocog 29er MTB, Serrota T-Max Commuter, Klein Rascal SS, Salsa Campion Road bike, Pake Rum Runner FG/SS Road bike, Cannondale Synapse Road bike, Santana Arriva Road Tandem, and others....

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Throw away the kickstand. Nothing screams "FRED" like a kickstand. I stand my bike up everyday using the pedal or a wall. Kickstands are for people with no imagination......
Old 08-29-12, 03:51 AM
AdelaaR

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thanks for being the sole helpful reply...
The reason you didn't get helpful replies is that you asked your question in the wrong forum.
This is the roadbike forum ... a place for wannabe-racy-uptight-showoff-juppie-types.
You don't have a racebike, but a hybrid.
You'll probably find many friendly people in the hybrid forum that can help you out with your problem.
Old 08-29-12, 06:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by AdelaaR
The reason you didn't get helpful replies is that you asked your question in the wrong forum.
This is the roadbike forum ... a place for wannabe-racy-uptight-showoff-juppie-types.
You don't have a racebike, but a hybrid.
You'll probably find many friendly people in the hybrid forum that can help you out with your problem.
Correct.

BTW, anyone who asks why you can't get race wheels that take Schrader valves or why the bike they bought came with no tread on the tires would get a similar response for the same reason.
Old 08-29-12, 07:23 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Stealthammer
Throw away the kickstand. Nothing screams "FRED" like a kickstand. I stand my bike up everyday using the pedal or a wall. Kickstands are for people with no imagination......
Maybe he doesn't care if he screams FRED.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-29-12, 07:47 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Originally Posted by Doohickie
Maybe he doesn't care if he screams FRED.
Practically this whole damn forum screams FRED
Old 08-29-12, 08:03 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Crash_N_Carry
Wow, that looks kind of cool.

Old 08-29-12, 08:26 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 371 Posts
OP, it's not that kickstands are a forbidden topic. It's just that 99% of here believe they're a bad idea.

1) it's hard to find one that actually works well.

2) as you've learned, they're difficult to secure, tend to work loose, and can damage the frame.

3) they're jsut not necessary. Learn to stand the bike on a curb by the pedal, lean it against the wall. or jsut lay it down opposite the deraiilleur side.

4) they're uneccassry weight, often more than 2 lbs, for ones that have a chance of working.

5) they're ugly, and detract from the pure efficiencey of a road bike.

6) they're something to impale yourself on in a crash, and a loose, improperly fitted one could cause a crash.

So the strong concensus advice would be to DC the kickstand.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.