Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Official Trek DS owners thread

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Official Trek DS owners thread

Old 06-25-14, 08:48 AM
Italia1970

Bikes: Trek FX 7.7 2013

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Eagle,

There have been issues with the plastic Isozone piece cracking and breaking.

Originally Posted by Eagle1
What frame problems should I be watching for?
Old 06-25-14, 08:51 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi,

I would love to see the quotes where I was upset.

I find that hard to believe as I came here for various view points in making my decision, not to argue since I didn't know enough.

Please show me the quotes of me saying it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I believe I was asking if the incremental $ cost was worth it to have the isozone and why, not that it was the best thing.

Lets see what actually happened.

Originally Posted by deerfly
[/B]

In another thread you were absolutely convinced that the Isozone frame was the best thing since sliced bread. To the point where you were very upset with me for not agreeing with you. It’s still the same frame it was 6 months ago when you wanted to buy one, what has changed?
Old 06-25-14, 09:01 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm glad I can clear up your false interpretation of what happened.

https://www.bikeforums.net/hybrid-bic...l#post16293245

You might want to check that out before you state libelous remarks.

The post clearly shows I NEVER claimed one was better than another.

Stop stirring the ****, like you so much like to do.

[/B]

In another thread you were absolutely convinced that the Isozone frame was the best thing since sliced bread. To the point where you were very upset with me for not agreeing with you. It’s still the same frame it was 6 months ago when you wanted to buy one, what has changed?
Old 06-25-14, 03:46 PM
Sunsanvil

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.4

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not sure if this applies only to Canada or what, but I JUST got a safety recall notice from Trek affecting select serial numbers of the following:

2011 Montare
2011 Utopia
2012 8.4 DS
2012 8.5 DS
2012 Neko SL
2013 8.4 DS (I registered mine with them which is likely why I got the email).
2013 8.5 DS
2013 8.6 DS
2013 Neko SL

Something to do with the dropouts on the SR Suntour NRX suspension forks breaking. Owners of affected bikes are to stop riding them until the fork is replaced.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 06-26-14 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-25-14, 06:59 PM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Looks like the NEX, XCM, and XCT models of the sun tour fork will get repairs while the NRX gets a free replacement? The more you pay, the better the recall deal? That seems a bit odd. It's sad that paying $1000 for a bike isn't enough to get a reliable fork? Shame on those engineers who would rather work to subtract quality out of frame to reach the maximum cost savings vs. building a product that is safe for all. So how much money do I have to spend to ride a bike to be assured my front fork won't fail?
Old 06-25-14, 07:30 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
I would suspect the bean counters, not the engineers for most problems...
Old 06-25-14, 08:00 PM
ROB DS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
TREK RECALL

It appears that my trusty Trek will be on the disabled list for a few day, below is an email regarding a Trek recall. DO NOT RIDE YOUR BIKE and contact your trek retailer. The following is part of the email.

The following models equipped with an SR Suntour NRX suspension fork (both standard and WSD models are affected):

2011 Utopia
2012 8.4 DS
2012 Montare8.5 DS
2012 Neko SL
2013 8.4 DS
2013 8.5 DS
2013 8.6 DS
2013 Neko SL

A number of these bicycles were made with an SR Suntour suspension fork on which the fork dropouts can break. The fork is model NRX and has IS mounts. If a dropout breaks, the rider could lose control of the bicycle.

AFFECTED MODELS
Only specific bicycles from model years 2011, 2012, and 2013 are affected.These bicycles may have serial numbers ending in “F,” “G,” or “H.” Your local retailer can assist you in determining if your specific fork is subject to there call.

Last edited by ROB DS; 06-25-14 at 09:22 PM. Reason: run together words after cut & paste for some reason
Old 06-25-14, 09:16 PM
ROB DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Sunsanvil, thanks for the reply and sorry it took so long to get back to you, I was misreading the sequence of the threads.

I would say that my shoulders are pretty straight and my back is almost upright (15-20) degrees or so, I'm certainly not in a Quasimodo bell ringing mode. I didn't realize that the stem can be changed out, I would guess that possibly a tad (1") higher and slightly angled toward me would be a better fit, especially for rides longer than 15 miles. I wonder if they make such a beast? I'm taking my 8.4 back to the dealer on Thursday for warranty/recall work so I'll see what they think about my stem theory. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Last edited by ROB DS; 06-25-14 at 09:23 PM. Reason: words ran together after i did a cut & paste for some reason.
Old 06-26-14, 04:53 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ROB DS
I would guess that possibly a tad (1") higher and slightly angled toward me would be a better fit, especially for rides longer than 15 miles. I wonder if they make such a beast?
There are tons of stems and a good dealer should have a literal array of them on hand. In the Race Lite series alone we have 7, 17, 25, and 40 degree rises, with lengths between 60 and 120mm. Heck you can almost (heaven forbid) turn your DS into a comfort cruiser of sorts if you really wanted to, or a cross country racer for that matter. The stock stem on ANY bike should be considered a starting point at best. Odds of it being perfect for a given buyer are, I would say, 1:5

Getting a fit you are happy with is well worth the $30-60 (some dealers, especially if the bike is fairly new, will even give you credit for the stock stem).

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 06-26-14 at 05:01 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:21 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by side_FX
Looks like the NEX, XCM, and XCT models of the sun tour fork will get repairs while the NRX gets a free replacement? The more you pay, the better the recall deal? That seems a bit odd.
Thats not my first reaction. I mean, it could simply be that Suntour really screwed up on the NRX forks while the other models need only a replaced lower (or something).

Either way I dont consider a recall of any kind a "deal". Its not as if we are getting a free upgrade to a higher end fork or anything (not even sure if the replacement is as good...defect of the original notwithstanding).

Of course I would rather have never had an issue but at least Trek is doing the recall: The CPSC quotes 28 failures reported of which 5 resulted in injury.

Not sure when I can get mine in or how long it will take. I encourage other affected owners to post back here what their experience with the dealer is like, what they think of the Vita compared to the NRX, etc.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 06-27-14 at 04:19 AM.
Old 06-26-14, 05:54 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Story of the world we live in....
Old 06-26-14, 06:09 AM
deerfly

Bikes: 2012 Marin Rock Springs, 2012 Trek 8.3 DS, 2013 Cannondale Quick SL2

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am curious if this is only a Trek issue. These fork models are used by other bicycle makers so unless Trek, or the other makers, have specific requirements for their brand only, I would think similar recalls would come into effect with the other brands. Unless I am missing something.

And no, I am not going to respond to Italia1970. His rants in the thread he provided a link to speak for themselves. Though I do not apologize to Italia1970, I do apologize for temporarily derailing this thread and will delete my post from yesterday.
Old 06-26-14, 06:26 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I am curious if this is only a Trek issue. These fork models are used by other bicycle makers so unless Trek, or the other makers, have specific requirements for their brand only, I would think similar recalls would come into effect with the other brands. Unless I am missing something.
According to this link, Scott is also similarly affected.
Old 06-26-14, 06:30 AM
Italia1970

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
No problem,

Your thread etiquette, they way you troll threads, the fact you make libelous and false remarks have all been reported to the site administrators.

They can deal with you and your ways they way they see fit.

All you have done with me is provide unnecessary drama and grief.

The next time you make a libelous statement against me, claiming I said something I did and that statement is false, it will be something you will wish you never did. Try me and find out.

And no, I am not going to respond to Italia1970. His rants in the thread he provided a link to speak for themselves. Though I do not apologize to Italia1970, I do apologize for temporarily derailing this thread and will delete my post from yesterday.
Old 06-26-14, 07:01 AM
ROB DS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sunsanvil, thanks so much, that's invaluable info. I've copied/printed your post so not to appear as a complete newbie when I talk to the shop guys today. Yes, I don't want to (Yikes!) cross that comfort cruiser line....thanks again.

Last edited by ROB DS; 06-26-14 at 07:04 AM. Reason: run together words when I cut and paste
Old 06-26-14, 10:51 AM
side_FX

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
True, true, true

its just sad when they have more say than the engineers

i do wonder through, how did these forks fail? Were the riders too heavy? Were they doing more MTB rides than the bike was intended for?
Old 06-26-14, 04:00 PM
Sojourner62

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have the 2013 DS 8.3 which is not listed. I guess this is one of those times in life where it pays to have acquired the less expensive version. Hey, at least Trek is not GM!

2013 8.4 DS

2013 8.5 DS
2013 8.6 DS
Old 06-26-14, 04:58 PM
Lanovran

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Sojourner62
I have the 2013 DS 8.3 which is not listed. I guess this is one of those times in life where it pays to have acquired the less expensive version. Hey, at least Trek is not GM!

2013 8.4 DS

2013 8.5 DS
2013 8.6 DS
If you have a 2013 8.3 with an NEX fork, then your bike may indeed be part of the recall. Here's an article with all the info: Trek, Scott recalling 125k bikes because of problem with SR Suntour fork | Bicycle Retailer and Industry News

The NRX forks will be replaced with an RST Vita fork; however, there is a quicker fix for particular Suntour NEX, XCM, and XCT forks. The latter will simply require a new part, while the NRX will need the legs replaced. The difference lies in how the dropouts are attached.
Old 06-26-14, 05:08 PM
steve_cay

Bikes: 2013 Trek 8.4 DS

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thanks for posting the recall note Sunsanvil!
I never got the note (perhaps because I never registered). Called my shop, and they said if I think a recall applies, bring the bike in to see next steps.

Looking on the net, seems I am affected: 2013 8.4 DS, Suntour NRX fork, and serial number ends in G.

"Trek is replacing the relevant NRX model forks with RST Vita forks"

Anybody know if the RST Vita fork is any better or worst than the Suntour NRX (aside from safety)?

The RST Vita also seems to be hydraulic ... and I really like the fact that I can adjust the Suntour NRX on the fly and lock and unlock it as I jump on and off pavement without getting off the bike. Seems many forks (probably not hydraulic) need to be unloaded to switch modes. Would hate too loose that functionality which is almost as good as remote locking!

Anybody knows if there is a remote lock switch retrofit for the RST Vita? (seems there was not for the Suntour NRX).
Old 06-26-14, 06:15 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hmmm ... upon some research into this fork:

2013 Trek DS 8.4 came with the "failure prone" hydraulic Suntour NRX. These have hydraulic lockout, allowing for on the fly adjustment and lockout (without getting off bike).

Oddly, according to specs on TREK website, they seem to have possibly "downgraded" the 2014 8.4 with the "RST Nova ML w/coil spring, preload, lockout, 60mm travel"
ML stands for "Mechanical lockout" as opposed to hydraulic according to manufacturer site:
RST

But the better 2014 8.5 / 8.6 models still come with the Suntour NRX!

Now instead of replacing our 2013 Suntour NRX, with their 2014 8.4 specced mechanical "RST Nova ML", we instead get the "RST Vita" which is available in Hydraulic model:
RST

So TREK may have our 2013 backs covered, and not downgrade us to the 2014 parts

I do not want to loose my on the fly lockout and adjustment, and now have to suddenly get off the bike to lock!!!

Last edited by steve_cay; 06-26-14 at 06:33 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 04:33 AM
Sunsanvil

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We'll have to wait and see what the first ones to get the replacement report. I note that the Vita, like most forks, is available in an array of sub models (no LO, MLO, HLO, RHLO), not to mention custom orders for bike companies. One would assume the replacement will be on par in terms of feature set with what it is replacing (HLO), but even so it has smaller stanchions (28.6mm compared to 30mm) and narrower crown pitch which at best means it likely wont accommodate as wide a range of tire, at worse it may mean its a lighter duty design (this last is purely my speculation for the time being).

Its certainly not an "upgrade" of any kind (nor does it need to be) but I do hope its not a step back.

Last edited by Sunsanvil; 06-27-14 at 07:08 AM.
Old 06-27-14, 03:19 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Brought my bike to my retailer today concerning recall ... I was in and out in 10 minutes, and they right away knew about the recall even though I had no letter with me.

Process: They need to take a photo of the bike, photo of serial number, and photo of front fork and submit to Trek. Trek will then release a new fork to them, and they swap them out. They hope it will be only 1 week, but really up to how long it takes Trek to get the part out to them.

They did not want me leaving with the bike, both to expedite the process, and probably for liability reasons as they stated they did not want me riding the bike. Fair enough, I have my old road bike until then ... will just have to stay out of the woods
Old 06-27-14, 06:44 PM
nStyle

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How do you guys feel about the stock seat? Is it plenty comfy for you?

I've read that the ideal seat does not hurt at all.

Well, it kills me nearly every time I ride.

I own an 8.5DS but I think all of the seats from 8.3 - .5 are the same. Have any of you successfully found a more comfortable saddle? I just don't know which direction to go - for a wider one or what. Nearest LBS is an hour away so I'd probably be better off ordering a few, trying them out, and returning, but was wondering if you guys had any suggestions.

While I'm at it...I got the recall email but it doesn't say anything about the 8.5 even though I know I have the NRX fork. The link above does mention the 8.5 though. Might have to go to LBS anyway.

Last edited by nStyle; 06-27-14 at 06:49 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 06:58 PM
steve_cay

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nStyle
How do you guys feel about the stock seat? Is it plenty comfy for you?

I've read that the ideal seat does not hurt at all.

Well, it kills me nearly every time I ride.
The stock seat suits me perfectly, feels just fine, and no pain.

I have read feedback however that the stock seat is painful, I think one guy put it "he would find sitting on a computer mouse mounted on the seat tube more comfortable".

I have to wonder if this is from people who are not used to biking, or have not biked in a while. All bike seats will feel uncomfortable until you get used to them after a few rides, and the initial soreness goes away.

I would say give it a chance, while a big fat soft seat may feel more comfy at first, it is often the wrong approach long term. Just like a firm mattress is best for your back.

If it still hurts, you need a saddle where your sit bones are properly supported, which will depend on your shape down there!

Last edited by steve_cay; 06-27-14 at 07:04 PM.
Old 06-27-14, 08:59 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Are all Trek DS rims the same width?

Anyway I am looking at a 8.5 DS(2015) and am wondering what the narrowest and widest tyres I could fit on their rims?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.