Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Performance Bicycle Bankruptcy

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Performance Bicycle Bankruptcy

Old 02-17-19, 12:41 PM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 130 Posts
Specialized agreed to buy the Roubaix bicycle trademark from ASE, during the bankruptcy.

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/indu...d#.XGmqMqBlDmg

Previously Specialized had been involved in a legal dispute over the use of the Roubaix trademark in Canada.

https://www.bikeradar.com/news/artic...ighs-in-39260/

Does this mean that there will no longer be a Fuji Roubaix model? You all know what Specialized is like.
Old 02-18-19, 09:14 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
The Richmond store is in the final throes, I believe they said they'll be closing the first weekend of March. I'd gotten in there when they hit the 50% mark and stocked the shop up on tubes, picked a few other bits and pieces up. Last time I dropped by was last Thursday. All the mountain bikes had been sold, the serious road stuff was in short supply, and essentially what was left was commuters, hybrid bikes, kids bikes and a few fixies. Plus lots of helmets, shoes, and some cycling clothing. Probably drop by tomorrow when I do the bank run for the motorcycle shop.

Performance wasn't a bad place to shop, the bikes were decent if you were into whatever is the latest (I'm not). I will miss them, but I've been a loyalist to the local family-owned Agee's chain. They won me over a decade and a half ago the first time I walked in looking for something to build a vintage Raleigh . . . . . . and they didn't laugh me out of the store. Which is pretty much normal in the area for any shop selling new bikes.

Now that I think of it, the other three shops that did laugh at me fifteen years ago are all gone . . . . . .

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-19-19, 08:29 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 943 Times in 495 Posts
I got an email from Nashbar that they had been taken over by AMain Sports & Hobbies. Out of curiosity, I checked the Performance site I had saved. The old address says page not found, but when you click on the Perfomance logo at the top, it goes to the new home page. It looked identical to the Nashbar site, which looks the same as AMain Cycling site.
Old 02-19-19, 09:32 AM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 457 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Pompiere
I got an email from Nashbar that they had been taken over by AMain Sports & Hobbies. Out of curiosity, I checked the Performance site I had saved. The old address says page not found, but when you click on the Perfomance logo at the top, it goes to the new home page. It looked identical to the Nashbar site, which looks the same as AMain Cycling site.
I got the same email over the weekend.

Old 02-19-19, 04:01 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1764 Post(s)
Liked 1,578 Times in 910 Posts
I got the same email too. My local Performance closed out a few weeks ago. It was down to a single display rack and a large card table. The Liquidator said: "Make me an offer." I offered $20, we settled on $25 plus tax.

I picked up about a half dozen take-off forks of various quality, about 2 dozen boxes of spokes. A brand new Shimano 3 speed 26 inch wheel, a large tote of used seats, a large basket of bottom brackets, headsets, miscellaneous bearings of all varieties, various spacers of all kinds, about 50 brake cables, & bunches of other stuff I haven't sorted yet. All told, it was a good haul. Bunches of stuff to add to my stuff.
Old 02-19-19, 07:05 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
The Richmond store closes next Tuesday. They're just down to odd bits and bobs now, a few hybrid bikes (and three Fuji Police bikes), single speeds and fixies. Two brifter road bikes. Lots of mountain bike shifters at $4.50 each (most are 8-speed), but nothing in a matched pair. May still pick up a couple for customer repairs.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-20-19, 01:58 PM
stardognine
Partially Sane.

Bikes: Soma Saga, pre-disc

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I got the same email too. My local Performance closed out a few weeks ago. It was down to a single display rack and a large card table. The Liquidator said: "Make me an offer." I offered $20, we settled on $25 plus tax.

I picked up about a half dozen take-off forks of various quality, about 2 dozen boxes of spokes. A brand new Shimano 3 speed 26 inch wheel, a large tote of used seats, a large basket of bottom brackets, headsets, miscellaneous bearings of all varieties, various spacers of all kinds, about 50 brake cables, & bunches of other stuff I haven't sorted yet. All told, it was a good haul. Bunches of stuff to add to my stuff.
As long as the price was good, I'd say you did very well. 👌 Nothing wrong with grabbing used stuff or new take-off parts.
Old 02-20-19, 02:59 PM
Reynolds 531 

Bikes: a few that I can't recall

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 142 Posts
Amain is useless. Just my opinion (from Chico).