Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Rapha Long Sleeve Jersey - Long Sleeve Core Vs. Classic Long Sleeve II

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Rapha Long Sleeve Jersey - Long Sleeve Core Vs. Classic Long Sleeve II

Old 10-15-19, 02:30 PM
kshepherd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, I’m pretty new to cycling and the associated clothes. I have a jersey and bib (specialized) that I got from my local bike shop that seems be much longer so I was just curious if Rapha stuff in general tends to be shorter. It sounds like it’s the pro cut that maybe is the issue, I will try the classic and core style for a hopefully longer cut. Thanks!
Old 10-15-19, 03:08 PM
Dopefish905

Bikes: Cervelo S3

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I’m 5’11 and 145lbs and the proteam stuff makes me look like a fatty, it’s a real tight fit, sometimes uncomfortably tight, plus I don’t like all these new long sleeve aero jerseys, they create wicked tan lines that a normal tshirt doesn’t cover. Classic stuff in small works best for me! It’s still snug and I can stand up and walk around without skin showing. I got a few pro team stuff buts it’s gilets and wind coats mostly.
Old 10-16-19, 09:07 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by kshepherd
So I just ordered a Rapha Pro Team Long Sleeve Thermal Jersey. I ordered my normal size L and weirdly the arms seem a bit long and the length of the body seems quite short in the front (my belly button shows)
I call excess length the Chinese cut that is prevalent on cheap eBay jerseys. Not supposed to fit like an untucked t-shirt. If you carry items in your jersey pockets, they are not supposed to hang all the way down your butt, but held firmly in place at the small of your back. As a previous poster mentioned proper fitted jersey's are designed for on the bike fit. Some jersey's have the sleeves cut to facilitate bar reach. In other words it feels a little weird with your arms by your sides but spot on perfect when you are on the bike with your arms forward.

...but it should not be above your belly button. You must have a long torso?
Old 10-16-19, 11:22 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Yea classic/brevet and some of the core jerseys are longer. Any of the pro team/flyweight gear is short in the torso and meant to be the right length bent over on the bike without wrinkles. I'm 5'7" and wear mediums and some are short on me if i stand straight up.
Old 10-16-19, 01:02 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Originally Posted by GuitarBob
Just in case you're new to this foolishness, keep in mind that cycling clothes are designed to fit well when hunched over on the bike, not standing bolt upright. The classic line is indeed a more relaxed fit than the pro line.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 10-17-19, 07:14 PM
kshepherd

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I'm 6'2" with a long torso, so that's probably the issue. I ordered a Brevet, Classic, and Core long sleeves all in size L. The classic and brevet fit great, the core fits more like the profit. So I guess that's figured out. Now to return some items
Old 10-18-19, 06:07 PM
puma1552

Bikes: '17 Colnago C-RS (Full 5800); '16 Specialized Sirrus Elite

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by kshepherd
I'm 6'2" with a long torso, so that's probably the issue. I ordered a Brevet, Classic, and Core long sleeves all in size L. The classic and brevet fit great, the core fits more like the profit. So I guess that's figured out. Now to return some items
Yep, the core was way more snug than the classic...i thought core/classic/brevet would all be about the same, but i was wrong
Old 10-18-19, 06:22 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
That's interesting to hear about the cut of Core vs Brevet and Classic - I'll have to keep that in mind in the Spring (or if some stuff pops up on sale over the winter). FWIW, I poached some archive stuff the other day and have some gloves, an LS merino mesh base layer and some winter tights arriving tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that the base and gloves will work out. Unsure on the tights, but fingers crossed.
Old 10-19-19, 09:15 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by WhyFi
That's interesting to hear about the cut of Core vs Brevet and Classic - I'll have to keep that in mind in the Spring (or if some stuff pops up on sale over the winter). FWIW, I poached some archive stuff the other day and have some gloves, an LS merino mesh base layer and some winter tights arriving tomorrow. I'm pretty sure that the base and gloves will work out. Unsure on the tights, but fingers crossed.
Everything arrived.

The gloves are very nice, though I'm glad that I got them at 50% off; I wouldn't begrudge anyone buying them at full price ($110, I think), but I don't think that I'd pay that for them. I'll wear them off the bike, too, which helps justify the cost a bit, to me. They should be good in cold, but not freezing, weather.
Base layer is nice, though it's less snug than I'd expected - there are certainly some wrinkles here and there, whereas the Brevet base layer of the same size (L) looks painted on.
I'm very happy that the tights worked out - by Rapha's measurements, I'm pretty much dead-on Large, for both bottoms and tops, but the tights were only available in XL, although with reports that they were slightly small. They're loose enough around the knees to have some wrinkles, but they're great everyplace else - not too loose, not too snug.
Old 10-19-19, 11:38 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Everything arrived.

The gloves are very nice, though I'm glad that I got them at 50% off; I wouldn't begrudge anyone buying them at full price ($110, I think), but I don't think that I'd pay that for them. I'll wear them off the bike, too, which helps justify the cost a bit, to me. They should be good in cold, but not freezing, weather.
Base layer is nice, though it's less snug than I'd expected - there are certainly some wrinkles here and there, whereas the Brevet base layer of the same size (L) looks painted on.
I'm very happy that the tights worked out - by Rapha's measurements, I'm pretty much dead-on Large, for both bottoms and tops, but the tights were only available in XL, although with reports that they were slightly small. They're loose enough around the knees to have some wrinkles, but they're great everyplace else - not too loose, not too snug.
Which tights? Are you wearing them over other bibs? My rapha tights are sized the same as my bibs but are obviously bigger to be able to slide over
Old 10-19-19, 12:00 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by redlude97
Which tights? Are you wearing them over other bibs? My rapha tights are sized the same as my bibs but are obviously bigger to be able to slide over
Core tights, no pad (discontinued, bought via Archive Sale). Yes, over bibs. I don't yet have regular Rapha bibs to compare them to, so I don't know if the sizing differs, but by measurements, I should be in an L, not an XL.
Old 10-27-19, 11:07 AM
puma1552

Wore the Classic II yesterday for its first ride, really like it...but I'm bummed, somehow I got a couple really small snags on the sleeve cuff, no idea how. They survived the washing machine afterwards so probably fine, but a bummer given the $175 cost and it happening on the very first wear.
Old 10-27-19, 01:09 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by puma1552
Wore the Classic II yesterday for its first ride, really like it...but I'm bummed, somehow I got a couple really small snags on the sleeve cuff, no idea how. They survived the washing machine afterwards so probably fine, but a bummer given the $175 cost and it happening on the very first wear.
Let them know through the repair service and be ready to be astounded at how well they respond. If they don't offer to somehow repair it, they will likely give you some sort of credit.
Old 10-27-19, 01:33 PM
puma1552

Originally Posted by SkepticalOne
Let them know through the repair service and be ready to be astounded at how well they respond. If they don't offer to somehow repair it, they will likely give you some sort of credit.
That's a good point, I knew they did crash replacement/repairs but it's worth a shot to send them an email for this being I just bought it this month and it was the first ride - I went ahead and took a couple pictures and sent it via email so I'll see what they say. It's possible they were there upon receipt, I honestly don't know. I didn't contact anything on my ride yesterday and I saw them before it went in the washing machine, so not sure what could've done it.

Last edited by puma1552; 10-27-19 at 01:44 PM.
Old 10-29-19, 07:41 AM
puma1552

Rapha is doing an exchange for a new one - excellent!
Likes For puma1552:
Old 10-29-19, 04:18 PM
SkepticalOne

Bikes: 2021 Trek Emonda SL7, 2019 Trek Checkpoint ALR4, 2020 Trek P1 Domane SLR7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 165 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 43 Posts
Rapha is doing an exchange for a new one - excellent!
Nicely done
Old 10-29-19, 04:51 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
i sold all my LS jerseys when i realized SS jersey + arm warmer works just as well if not better as i can modify the thickness of the arm warmer to fit the weather
Old 10-31-19, 06:57 PM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Long Sleeve Core:

https://www.rapha.cc/Us/en_US/shop/l...uct/COL01XXBLK

Classic Long Sleeve II:

https://www.rapha.cc/Us/en_US/shop/c...uct/CLL03XXGYB

Both look good, and I'm looking to ride in MN fall temps of upper 40s (at lowest) at start of ride, up to upper 50s and maybe cracking 60 in the sun. They both look nice, and the cheaper one even says its good for cooler weather and NOT just made from the same fabric as the short sleeve version, but rather a thicker fabric. Before I load up a cart of various items in various sizes resulting in a bunch of returns, I thought maybe I'd try and pare it down a bit and figure out if the Classic II is worth an extra $75 over the Core? My understanding is Core and Classic have the same fit.

Is the Classic II worth nearly 2x as the Core? Figure someone here has at least one of these and can provide feedback. I like the extra zipper pocket on the Classic II, but that's hardly worth an extra $75.
Rapha is like wearing an izod shirt in 1985.
Fancy cool great status but my parents were poor so i wore the JC penny fox...
Just as nice but half the price
🤡
Likes For thehammerdog:
Old 10-31-19, 07:45 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
I introduced the Rapha site to a buddy of mine while we were at work. He about lost it. He's obsessed with kit, so I was surprised he hadn't heard of it. But yea, he could not get over the cost. That said, as with anything, if people are willing to pay, then there's no limit to what someone can charge. The only way to quantify if something is "worth it", is whether you're willing to dish out the $$$. I have no problem spending $7-$10k on a brand new bike, despite knowing that I could get a 2 year old one for 40% off, but I won't spend $200 on a jersey or bibs. My brain just doesn't like the thought, and I'd hate myself every time I put it on. That said, I'm not arguing about their quality as it seems pretty established.

A bit bland for me though...I like "stupid" looking kit...stuff that sticks out and makes people laugh, whether it be dorky quotes/comments, or just silly images/patterns. Fits my personality better than looking like I'm wearing Polo Ralph Lauren. Maybe if I was actually good...I'd want something more professional looking haha.
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 10-31-19, 11:10 PM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
Good point. I have purchased some crazy expensive bikes. So, why do I have a problem with buying a Rapha LS jersey? Maybe I'm weird. I guess I'll have to think about that one some more...
Likes For bpcyclist:
Old 12-02-19, 12:15 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
Funny, the only Rapha piece I have is the Commuter jacket and while it's an awesome jacket for its intended use, the zipper could use some rethinking. It can be pretty tight to get started, and is impossible to operate with one hand - which I definitely want to once I warm up.
And... as if on cue... today when heading out to ride to work in the rain the zipper slider disintegrated. Verdict: nice jacket, junk zipper.

I'm stopping at the Chrome store on the way home to get something that will last. Yes, I can get the jacket replaced, but I don't want something that will only fail again.
Old 12-02-19, 12:24 PM
Chi_Z

Bikes: Niner RLT 9 RDO

Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by sfrider
And... as if on cue... today when heading out to ride to work in the rain the zipper slider disintegrated. Verdict: nice jacket, junk zipper.

I'm stopping at the Chrome store on the way home to get something that will last. Yes, I can get the jacket replaced, but I don't want something that will only fail again.
replace these ****ty tiny zipper with large plastic ones, but they would no longer be waterproof