Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

A gentle note to BF members

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

A gentle note to BF members

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-20, 08:54 AM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Honesty delivered with a tempered attitude is the best policy..
Fake bikes are not honest!
I'm sure that works out for you when your spouse/significant other looks like hell or is wearing a fugly dress.

As for fake bikes, don't care. Fake watches, don't care. Fake camera, don't care. Any fake "collectable", really, really don't care.
Old 01-11-20, 09:01 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
The value of an object can only be admired thru truthful presentation, not thru misrepresentation. Wildwood 1/11/2020
Old 01-11-20, 09:12 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by iab
I'm sure that works out for you when your spouse/significant other looks like hell or is wearing a fugly dress.
Or viewed slightly differently
If she were going out in public trying to look like or copy a 'celebrity', would it not be best to break the news she's not quite up to the impersonation? Exempting Halloween.
Old 01-11-20, 09:20 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

I can be malleable - I have no problem with people riding fake bikes on Halloween. But remember - it's scary and spooky out there.
Old 01-11-20, 09:42 AM
tashi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
Why do I have to be nice to folks who build a fake bike??
I agree 100% there should no hazing or profanity.
But fake bikes (tribute bikes, honorary bikes, in memoriam bikes, movie bikes, etc) are forgeries.
Fake bikes detract from our collective integrity, especially taking a cheapo and painting/decaling as a classic.
You want a bike in Molteni Orange - fine - but don't put Merckx stickers on your beautiful orange GMC Denali.

The - "It will never be sold (by me)!" is hollow BS - woeful excuse.
If this were a Rolex Forum and I proudly displayed my $8.00 Hong Kong copy - should I expect Praise and Kindness?
If this were a Camera Forum and I stuck Nikon stickers on a Barbie camera should I be held up as an icon of dream fulfillment?

"But I always dreamed of owning one" = more BS.
I want to go to Mars, but if I built a rocketship on my front lawn, even a very authentic looking Titan V, should my neighbors applaud my creation?

Honesty delivered with a tempered attitude is the best policy..
Fake bikes are not honest!

Civility is admirable.
But we have more to give than praise.

and i do not intend to restrain my opinion on the next forgery thread.

I'm not sure that I should wade into this because I just can't take it as seriously as you seem to buuuuut:

- All your examples would be so obvious as to not be able to deceive anyone. The Denali will be obviously a Denali (not to mention all the low quality genuine Merckx' out there), the $8 watch will still look like an $8 watch and the Barbie camera will still look like a Barbie camera. Therefore, they're not forgeries. No harm is being done, and the owner of the object (they're just toys remember) has simply customized it to their taste, and not yours. If anything they make themselves look a bit foolish, but every one of us does that every day of our lives. Over invested hobbyists in particular.

- Yes, if you build a functioning rocket ship in your front yard, without somehow making the neighbourhood look a mess or making excessive noise, you DO deserve my praise. You built a freaking rocket ship! I'm going to have to ask you to launch it somewhere else though...

Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you need to share it. There are always good reasons to share your positive opinion or to keep quiet and let people enjoy their toys. There aren't always good reasons to share your negative opinion.
Likes For tashi:
Old 01-11-20, 09:43 AM
tashi

If she were going out in public trying to look like or copy a 'celebrity', would it not be best to break the news she's not quite up to the impersonation? Exempting Halloween.
No.

Your spouse knows they don't look exactly like the celebrity, she's just trying to look her best, and partially for your benefit. One should appreciate the effort and be kind.
Old 01-11-20, 10:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by tashi
No.

Your spouse knows they don't look exactly like the celebrity, she's just trying to look her best, and partially for your benefit. One should appreciate the effort and be kind.
Together 35 years, she values honesty over flattery, thank goodness.

And the fake bike threads are started so infrequently as to be inconsequential to my overall BF experience. But thIs thread is about being nice and kind, and I think we should share our honest opinions (with respect) over purely complimentary ones, when appropriate.

.....my last post on the subject....
Rainy and 40degrees at my house or I'd be outside.

Thanks all - love C&V. Ride On!
Old 01-11-20, 11:18 AM
tashi

Kindness is not the same as flattery, nor does it preclude honesty.
Likes For tashi:
Old 01-11-20, 11:34 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 765 Post(s)
Liked 660 Times in 351 Posts
I never chop off their heads, But I take it you want me to point out the errors of their actions...
You can point with the sword of truth, but it's not mandatory. It's fine to have an unexpressed opinion about something.

"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long."
--Ogden Nash
Old 01-11-20, 12:39 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2298 Post(s)
Liked 2,054 Times in 1,254 Posts
Originally Posted by tashi
Just because you have an opinion, doesn't mean you need to share it. There are always good reasons to share your positive opinion or to keep quiet and let people enjoy their toys. There aren't always good reasons to share your negative opinion.
This is why social media is such a failure. Every fool thinks they own the real sword of truth as they wield and share with reckless impunity. Then they get data-mined.
I don't bundle this forum in with the rest of them, although my sword might be a knock-off as well.
Likes For clubman:
Old 01-11-20, 12:54 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
Heck, even the zombie threads are great in here. Whereas in most forums, they're bumped by clueless folks trying to ask a newbie question or argue in a fight that was long over, people most often add genuinely interesting tidbits and experiences when they bump an old thread in C&V.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 01-11-20, 12:58 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
thIs thread is about being nice and kind.
I thought it was about being gentle. Can I not gently ask you to pull your stem out of the steerer and move your rear brake cable over to the nds so it doesn't rub the head tube? Or gently ask you trim a foot off your brake cables so it appears like you know what you're doing? Or gently ask why you taped over your hoods?

And, yes, you can point out that my front hub skewer lever is on the "wrong" side. Just be gentle with me. I'm so very fragile ... especially when I crash.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-11-20, 02:33 PM
Nemosengineer 

Bikes: Teledyne Titan, Bob Jackson Audax Club, Bob Jackson World Tour, AlAn Record Ergal, 3Rensho Katana.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 623 Times in 245 Posts
Interesting thoughts on "emulations", presenting something as something it's not. My ALAN is a good example of a "mark" neutral frame as it was sold to a variety of manufactures and came to me without stickers identifying it, the seat tube stamp is date code only with no model identification, I assume it's a 1989 Record Ergal based on the date code of 11 88, so its getting stickered as a ALAN.
But it could be badged as almost anything that was sold as a ALAN baised bicycle and because there is no way to prove it's pedigree one way or another. I keep having thoughts of badging it up as a "Metisse" which is my "in house" brand of mongrel bicycle.

: Mike
Old 01-11-20, 03:37 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,802 Times in 1,408 Posts
OK. We'll narrow it down to that small and somewhat unusual circumstance. Do tell. What would be your exact words to her? You're no movie star?
Old 01-11-20, 03:44 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Originally Posted by clubman
This is why social media is such a failure. Every fool thinks they own the real sword of truth as they wield and share with reckless impunity. Then they get data-mined.
I don't bundle this forum in with the rest of them, although my sword might be a knock-off as well.
Obviously yours must be a knock off because clearly *mine* is the true sword of 1000 truths.
Old 01-13-20, 11:31 AM
tashi

No, YOURS is fake, because I TELL IT LIKE IT IS!

...just like every tinfoil-hat podcast out there...
Old 01-13-20, 01:43 PM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1237 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 248 Posts
Here, I'll sum up C+V >>>> GET YOUR GAS PIPE OFF MY LAWN!!!!!!!!!
And Whistler's mother on a "fancy" tube bike is faster than Eddy Merckx on a 3 spd CCM.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 01-13-20 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-13-20, 02:09 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Woohoo! I opted to avoid this thread when it first fired up. After several pages I'm going to pipe in.

I hang out around here when I can because most people keep it genuinely constructive and tend to follow a few unspoken adages:
  • If you don't have something nice to say, don't say it.
  • There's no shame in not knowing, the shame lies in not finding out.
  • Cheese, wine, (bikes!,) and friends must be old to be good.
I try to keep it positive, sometimes I'll edit my post 10 damn times because I see crap someone may take personally. I could just say "don't care, moving right along" but that attitude running rampant is what's caused me a load of grief at other forums I've frequented or moderated. It just doesn't work. Fortunately, BF has some great moderators here in C&V (thanks, you know who you are!) and the C&V community does a good job of self-policing also. Lots fewer bans I see handed out here versus other places. We're all in this pickle together, I dunno about you, but I prefer vinegar in my pickles, leave the piss for another pot.

That said, there are some characters here. Some people just need to realize you're an outlier on some things and/or have some serious pet peeves, maybe not in a good way. Furthermore, just because it's your preference doesn't mean everyone else in the community likes it, so if you see someone snapping back on you here or there, you may want to reflect on yourself for a sec and if you can't figure out why, take it to PM/DM to understand what's up.

Last but not least, some words of wisdom from Cobain and Einstein here, you can probably figure out which is which.

"Everyone is a genius. But, if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing it is stupid."

"They laugh at me because I’m different; I laugh at them because they’re all the same."
Likes For francophile:
Old 01-13-20, 08:50 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Duh, I am such an idiot.

I keep getting this BF thread.

I am a 'Folder' guy, so I could not understand what the fuss about the Bike Friday was all about.

Thank you Francophile
Old 01-14-20, 06:57 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 403 Posts
Perhaps now that BF's has a "Like" button they might consider adding a "Dislike" option.

If it is hit hard enough it might help alleviate some frustrations without adding any fuel to the fire.
Likes For Wileyone:
Old 01-14-20, 02:47 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,480 Times in 3,206 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
now that BF has a "Like" button, they might consider adding a "Dislike" option.
Or a series of buttons:

​​​​​​- Love
- Mostly acceptable
- Can't commit to liking
- Would like to gently just say "no"
- I wish you had simply not posted today
- Strongly but gently think you've suffered a head injury
- You can go gently to hell, sir.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 01-14-20, 06:27 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
My favorite bike is a $15 garage sale find, in deplorable condition. Many would have advised I toss it. But it suits me fine! But its not something that would be sought out as "collectible".

My favorite bike I have ever owned was a very weathered 1973 World Voyageur. Since most of the original parts were either missing or broken, I just grabbed what I had laying around to built it. I kind of regret selling it. I've owned four other World Voyageurs, a couple in outstanding, perfect condition. None of them hit me the same way.

Now all that being said, I really don't need validation from others whether my build made any sense, financially or otherwise.

fullsizeoutput_48d by wrk101, on Flickr

Started as:

1973 Schwinn World Voyageur B4 - 1 by wrk101, on Flickr
nice chrome fork. whatever hobby you get into, prolly best to have a beater version of whatever it is you are doing including bicycling. my nicer bikes stay inside in inclement weather, but not so the beater bikes. of course eventually all bicycle become beaters and not to be worried about.

agree with you on the schwinn, should have kept it but there are more rolling right behind it. pick one and start over, or maybe go for a different brand.
Old 01-14-20, 09:52 PM
TriBiker19 
Just call me Carrie

Bikes: '82 Fuji Supreme, '85 Shogun 200, '89 Centurion Ironman Master, '89 Centurion Ironman Expert

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 308 Post(s)
Liked 178 Times in 105 Posts
The zombie came back because someone had to chastise people with their first (and only) post?

Geesh.