Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

If you could afford an e-bike, would it be your "go to" commuter?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-20, 11:31 PM
SamSpade1941 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 490 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 54 Posts
My daily commute is 8-10 miles depending on my route. I cant see using an e bike for that short daily ride. 4 to 5 miles to and from doesnt take long. If I had a longer ride sure Id get one.
Old 01-10-20, 04:56 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
Maybe a Trek Verve2 + for my 12 mile commute. It's between this bike and a Electra Townie Go 8i.
Old 01-11-20, 05:32 PM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
I can afford an e-bike. Its just that I don't want one. I think they're pointless: if you don't want to sweat and get fit, why not buy a motorbike instead? After all, they're faster and, considering you don't enjoy the workout, probably more fun in your case.

Moreover, I think a bicycle should be able to work without any external energy input. I don't like electronic shifting for this reason, so you can imagine what I think about e-bikes.

The beauty of the bicycle lies in its simplicity.

Just to clarify, I don't want to offend anyone. I have strong opinions. Do whatever you want with your life / money.
Old 01-12-20, 03:28 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
My opinion is strictly for me: I am almost 60 and, as long as I am fit to do so, will be the force that drives my bike!

No E for me....
Old 01-13-20, 10:09 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I enjoy building and riding MTB and eMTB equally, so both for me. Also, I ride for fun and a modicum of exercise and accomplish both no matter which type of MTB I'm riding.
For commuting/errands I use my fastest bike in order to complete the task as quickly as possible. It's a steel framed MTB with a 1000w, 48V direct drive rear hub motor with a 52V, 10 ah battery.

Last edited by 2old; 01-28-20 at 10:20 AM.
Old 01-13-20, 11:49 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
No eAssist for Me...

My daily commute is 9 somewhat hilly miles each way. I really enjoy bike riding. A lot. Bikes are fun, and I do ride for the physical and mental benefits of regular exercise.

There's an e-bike commuter that I see almost weekly. Nice young fellow on what appears to be a longer cargo bike type thing with e-assist. He really zooms on it. Sometimes we're stopped at the same traffic light and we chat. He has interesting stories. The e-bike allows him to extend his commute distance and keep it within a reasonable time.

Would I consider an electric assist addition to a bike, or an e-bike of some kind? Probably not. As I said above, I really like riding my bike(s). I'll be retiring from full time work in 5.5 years, and I expect to be riding for that duration. And thereafter, I'll ride as long as I'm able. Who knows? I may die tomorrow...
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 01-26-20, 01:55 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
I think I would get honda grom before an ebike if I just want a little extra speed.
Old 01-26-20, 08:48 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
I want an ebike for my wife, she doesn’t ride as much as me and it’d be fun to have her join me on my longer climby type rides.

My commute is 21.75 each way here in the UK, pan flat but I only commute 2 or maybe 3 times a week. And never between Nov and March. As long as I’m able, I’ll be the sole power source for my bike.

The tech is cool to see and interesting how it’s evolving.

When I’m able I’m getting a super nice ebike road bike for my wife.

I sincerely hope I never need one for myself.
Old 01-26-20, 11:12 AM
Ken Wind
VOTE FOR KEN WIND

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChicagoDan
One of the main reasons I commute by bike is for the workout, so I would not use an e-bike.
Me too, but additionally, my commute is only a mile. If it ever exceeds two miles, it will be more of a consideration for me.
Old 01-26-20, 01:30 PM
Lidatation

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I found e-bike too cold. When cycling a regular bike I am sweating. But on an e-bike I feel very chilly. I feel dizzy each time after I ride the e-bike to work. But I live in SF Bay area where morning temperatures are pretty cold even in the summer.

I kinda ditched the e-bike already
Old 01-27-20, 11:17 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Lidatation
I found e-bike too cold. When cycling a regular bike I am sweating. But on an e-bike I feel very chilly. I feel dizzy each time after I ride the e-bike to work. But I live in SF Bay area where morning temperatures are pretty cold even in the summer.

I kinda ditched the e-bike already
Not sweating enough...??? Just use less throttle and more pedaling... and you won't feel as chilly. Dizzy after an E-Bike ride...??? That is a signal to eat better, drink more water, or see a doctor...
Likes For 350htrr:
Old 01-27-20, 11:21 AM
Lidatation

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 350htrr
Not sweating enough...??? Just use less throttle and more pedaling... and you won't feel as chilly. Dizzy after an E-Bike ride...??? That is a signal to eat better, drink more water, or see a doctor...
Well, but I commute daily to work, even in drizzle, always fine and I can do century rides with >10k ft . The e-bikes too little effort and high speed (25mph) just seem to chill me too much. I don't know why but I don't think I need to eat better/drink more water or see a doctor. Lol
Old 01-27-20, 10:26 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I am retired just recently but powered myself 32+ mi RT into my 60s. However this is Midwest flat, I have rode ebikes in mountainous areas though, so have some experience.

I guess it would depend on what kind of terrain you commute on. If it were San Francisco for example, hell yes I would commute on an ebike.
Old 01-28-20, 09:08 PM
fooferdoggie 

Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 949 Times in 556 Posts
If you want to sweat on a bike just go faster or turn the assist level down.

My body is vey wacky and my energy levels are really low do to a protein only diet that I am stuck with. I was thinking of getting another electric scooter as mine was just too slow for the 20 mile a day commute and in winter you freeze on the thing. Plus they are hard to take on public transportation.

So I went to the e bike store and did some test rides. And it was like man this is great. Even if I am drained of energy I can spin and go at a decent speed. If I am feeling better I can do 20+ miles a hour on the road. To me I cut 15 minutes off my commute over a scooter and even more over a regular bike if I was even able to go faster then 10 mph. Some days I can turn the assist down to the second loosest level and keep the 20 mph.

But I can load my bike down with groceries and still keep the speed up. Ok ok days my heart rate is about 110 and good days 120

But the biggest plus is its a blast to go fast. As long as there is not ice on the roads I ride every day and thats what matters most. But you really need a decent bike with a good mid drive to get the right feel. Plus I can get my cadence up a little higher then the 80 rpms I used to use.

I have a bulls cross mover and it has been a great bike shifts great really good disc brakes and lights. But one problem I did not anticipate is the faster you go the colder you get when the temps are low. I needed electric gloves to keep my hands warm. Though when I feel better I can turn the heat down or off.

Last edited by fooferdoggie; 01-28-20 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-01-20, 08:01 PM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Originally Posted by fooferdoggie
My body is vey wacky and my energy levels are really low do to a protein only diet that I am stuck with. (snip) So I went to the e bike store and did some test rides. And it was like man this is great. Even if I am drained of energy I can spin and go at a decent speed. If I am feeling better I can do 20+ miles a hour on the road. To me I cut 15 minutes off my commute over a scooter and even more over a regular bike if I was even able to go faster then 10 mph. Some days I can turn the assist down to the second loosest level and keep the 20 mph.

But I can load my bike down with groceries and still keep the speed up. Ok ok days my heart rate is about 110 and good days 120

But the biggest plus is its a blast to go fast. As long as there is not ice on the roads I ride every day and thats what matters most. But you really need a decent bike with a good mid drive to get the right feel. Plus I can get my cadence up a little higher then the 80 rpms I used to use.

I have a bulls cross mover and it has been a great bike shifts great really good disc brakes and lights. But one problem I did not anticipate is the faster you go the colder you get when the temps are low. I needed electric gloves to keep my hands warm. Though when I feel better I can turn the heat down or off.
I absolutely love seeing things like this. Yes, the *flexibility* of pedal assist is great when our bodies are being less cooperative!

I had to sort of adjust my clothing system for cold weather - what I used to wear at -20C for commuting, I now need at -10C because I am not getting (over)heated by the effort of pedaling, especially uphill. It did not take too long to get used to the new system, fortunately. Anything that works for skiing is great for winter bike rides as well. I usually don't have a lot of heat loss from the wind generated by my own speed; I just cruise along at 26-28 km/hr and save the additional bit of speed for sudden maneuvers (my Bosch motor assists up to 32 km/hr or 20MPH).

What I need now is a set of old-fashioned motorcycle goggles to keep the snow and sleet out of my eyes - road cycling sunglasses aren't enough, and ski goggles are too much. Plus I just think it would be hilarious.
Old 02-01-20, 10:06 PM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Buglady
I absolutely love seeing things like this. Yes, the *flexibility* of pedal assist is great when our bodies are being less cooperative!

I had to sort of adjust my clothing system for cold weather - what I used to wear at -20C for commuting, I now need at -10C because I am not getting (over)heated by the effort of pedaling, especially uphill. It did not take too long to get used to the new system, fortunately. Anything that works for skiing is great for winter bike rides as well. I usually don't have a lot of heat loss from the wind generated by my own speed; I just cruise along at 26-28 km/hr and save the additional bit of speed for sudden maneuvers (my Bosch motor assists up to 32 km/hr or 20MPH).

What I need now is a set of old-fashioned motorcycle goggles to keep the snow and sleet out of my eyes - road cycling sunglasses aren't enough, and ski goggles are too much. Plus I just think it would be hilarious.
my bosh is the speed motor and I cruise around 20 to 22 I do need a balaclava and something over that and electric socks and some heave pants over mine when it gets to 32. but my body is fine. if I am working harder when I feel better I can turn off my gloves and socks. but my e bike just made commuting fun again. it was not bad on my recumbent but then I got so sick I could not do the miles and finally gave up. on my e scooter ma n winters are really bad its s really hard to keep warm so only used them for my errands. hope to do some ore exporting tomorrow if its not raining.
Old 02-02-20, 09:07 AM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Doing fine at 59 (yrs) and NO WAY am I weakening myself with "assistance".... Besides the failures and complications that electricity entails.

For those with unalterable physical needs... errr... more "power" to ya!

If you gave me a free e-bike, I'd sale/donate it....
Old 02-02-20, 09:20 AM
fooferdoggie 

Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Doing fine at 59 (yrs) and NO WAY am I weakening myself with "assistance".... Besides the failures and complications that electricity entails.

heard the same thing about recumbents. actually pro riders have been using them too. and you can actually strengthen yourself and ride longer and faster then you do now.
Old 02-02-20, 09:57 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Buglady

What I need now is a set of old-fashioned motorcycle goggles to keep the snow and sleet out of my eyes..... Plus I just think it would be hilarious.
There is a steam-punk cool to the old moto goggles. This one isn't bad either.

Old 02-02-20, 10:14 AM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman

If I lived in the south I could afford to be a technology purist on my commutes. I commute year around and I like working *just* as hard in the winter-time when I'm riding heavy tires with studs. As much as don't mind the extra work in winter with my regular bike, I don't like arriving 15 minutes later each way and looking like a puddle of sweat for the first hour in my office. Modest e-assist on my new winter bike offsets the extra friction of winter tires pretty much 1 to1, and normalizes my bike commuting year around. Works for me.

I have to admit, its kinda fun cranking up the assist every now and then in the city to pass one of the single-speed messenger bikers..... that really bothers them.
Old 02-02-20, 02:05 PM
spinnanz

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 59 Posts
Im making my ideal ebike, a slow (25kph) commuter to dawdle to and from work on, and cruise around the park on. I like retro looking but went one better (or maybe worse) and decided have an ACTUAL old bike rather than a new but old looking one. So Ive converted a 47 year old bike to electric, while trying to keep it as non electric looking as possible, and cheap. Excluding the battery which was free, its cost me £200. The wheels and motor are from an Easy Motion, Easy GoR

ace.
Old 02-02-20, 07:01 PM
Nick 93

Bikes: 2007 Novara Randonee, 2020 Cannondale Optima Claris, 1993 Raleigh RT500

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Preface: I have not yet tried commuting to work on my bicycle yet but plan to in the near future. I would use it as my go to commuter and then use a regular bike when not commuting. My basis for this wouldn't be to avoid sweat or something similar. I work as a detailer and sweat all day at work. For me, as a beginner cyclist, I'd want an ebike so that I could go faster while building up my stamina. I could still get to work somewhat fast and not struggle as much on my way back home. Detailing cars all day can take a lot out of you and I wouldn't want my commute to take twice as long.
Old 02-03-20, 05:01 AM
alloo

Bikes: 2022 Priority Coast, 2022 Priority Current

Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 99 Posts
I ended up getting a Blix Aveny. Took it on my first commute. Been very happy!

Outside of work
Old 02-06-20, 08:52 PM
ggolds5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Years ago I had a TREK mountain bike- full suspension. I purchased it in 1995 and paid $2000 then. Eventually it was stolen right out of my garage. Fast forward another 20 years and an accident made it impossible to ride much of anything. I want to start riding a bike again. An Ebike will make this possible. You can assist your ride as much or as little as you want to or need to in my situation. It will get me out riding and exercising again. That means a lot to me and my wife. SO for those of you against Ebikes stop being so narrow-minded and selfish and think about how riding is so important to you and how those who can't ride without assistance can get back on a bike and start riding again. It can be life changing in a great way after having had a life changing event that made life so much harder and more challenging. I've been in healthcare all of my life, maybe that's also why I have empathy for those who can ride again with an Ebike. God Bless!.
Likes For ggolds5:
Old 02-16-20, 09:32 AM
rollalongnow

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Never. I see some of these guys zipping by and I think to myself things break. I’m on a bike with a light helmet and if it breaks, that’s really gonna hurt badly. Kinda defeats the purpose of a bike anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.