Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Commuting in Charleston

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Commuting in Charleston

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-20, 11:12 PM
fattimatti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Commuting in Charleston

Hey all, new to this forum. I'm potentially moving to Charleston, SC from Jacksonville, FL. Was wondering if Charleston is bike friendly. From what I have read, they are anything but, and in 2016 they were the worse in the country for being bike friendly. But don't know if that has changed or improved since then. I know from experience Jacksonville is pretty awful for commuting, so I imagine it can't be much worse.

Thanks for the time.

-Fatti
Old 01-14-20, 02:26 AM
debade

Bikes: Trek Domane, Trek 2120, Trek 520, Schwinn Voyager step through

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts
Hmm, I am no expert on Charleston but have ridden there a couple of times. I think it may depend on where you live. The Cooper River bridge is terrific. The Greenway is an off road path. I am sure there are others. Hopefully a local can fill in the blanks. Did you check out a local advocacy group?
Old 01-14-20, 05:46 AM
fattimatti

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by debade
Hmm, I am no expert on Charleston but have ridden there a couple of times. I think it may depend on where you live. The Cooper River bridge is terrific. The Greenway is an off road path. I am sure there are others. Hopefully a local can fill in the blanks. Did you check out a local advocacy group?

Thanks! I saw they just had the Ashely River Bicycle and Pedestrian bridge just got approved by the USDOT on their local advocacy group Charlestonmoves.org. It should hopefully be built soon-ish. I will check in with them to get more information.