Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Over not Under the Third Spoke?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-18, 03:35 PM
Jason Curtiss

Bikes: Bianchi Intenso

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When building a three-cross pattern wheel, I've always been accustomed to the outside spokes crossing over two and go under the third spoke. However, I noticed that the Fulcrum Sport rear wheel on my Bianchi with a 3-cross pattern on the drive side, has the outside spokes crossing over all three spokes instead of over two and under one. The non-drive side of the wheel has eight radial spokes and there are 16 spokes on the drive side.

So I recently built a spare rear wheel with a 24-spoke, 3-cross pattern. This wheel has 12 pokes on each side and was built with all outer spokes crossing over three spokes instead over over two and and under one on both sides.

Does anyone see a problem with this unusual - to me - crossing pattern?

Thanks!

Jason
Old 09-21-18, 03:56 PM
desconhecido 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked 144 Times in 107 Posts
I've never built a 24h wheel, but it's been my understanding that with 24h, 3X will give you spokes that are greater than tangent to the flange circle and that you will have interference between spoke heads and adjacent spokes. Been told that 2X is max crossings for 24h hubs.
Old 09-21-18, 04:17 PM
Jason Curtiss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the reply desconhecido.

Yes, the clearance between spokes and spoke heads is indeed marginal with a 24H 3X pattern. But what are your thoughts about crossing over three spokes instead of over two and under one?

Jason
Old 09-21-18, 04:48 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
It's called interlacing. Interlacing is a good thing, and I can't think of a reason not to interlace. They didn't interlace the wheels on the old Raleigh 3-speeds. I guess it took a while for them to discover the advantages of it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-21-18, 05:03 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
There are arguments for one way over the other and vice versa. Theoretical in nature, however in the real world it makes no difference, just so long as the spokes are woven over or under. I have done it both ways without a difference in performance or longevity.
Old 09-22-18, 06:14 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's called interlacing. Interlacing is a good thing, and I can't think of a reason not to interlace. They didn't interlace the wheels on the old Raleigh 3-speeds. I guess it took a while for them to discover the advantages of it.
More likely, they were able to shave a few seconds off the time to build each wheel by not interlacing. With 32 (front) and 40 (rear) spoke wheels, they were plenty strong even without the interlacing.
Old 09-22-18, 06:53 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
More likely, they were able to shave a few seconds off the time to build each wheel by not interlacing. With 32 (front) and 40 (rear) spoke wheels, they were plenty strong even without the interlacing.
I got a job as a shop mechanic in 1978. The shop sold Raleigh bikes, among other brands. We sold a few Sportses but not many. The spokes were still not interlaced on the Sportses but they were on the other models. It was as if there old folks making the Sports but young folks making the Grand Prix etc.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 09-22-18, 07:42 AM
Jason Curtiss

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I got a job as a shop mechanic in 1978. The shop sold Raleigh bikes, among other brands. We sold a few Sportses but not many. The spokes were still not interlaced on the Sportses but they were on the other models. It was as if there old folks making the Sports but young folks making the Grand Prix etc.
Interesting bit of history on "interlacing" from a Raleigh perspective. Attached is my 24H by 3X wheel without interlacing. Some folks were concerned that 24H was not suitable for 3X but it seems OK to this non-wheel-building expert
Old 09-22-18, 08:06 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason Curtiss
Some folks were concerned that 24H was not suitable for 3X but it seems OK to this non-wheel-building expert
It’s not an either-or thing.
If the flange diameter of the hub you’re using allows the shanks of the spokes to clear the heads of the other spokes, it’s perfectly fine. Just like any other build. A non-issue.
If the shanks of the spokes rest over the heads of the other spokes, it’s generally not a problem while JRA.
Build can quickly get awkward if you get the order of spoke insertion wrong since half the holes are blocked.
If it happens, some worry about where the outer spoke bends over the spoke head.
Replacing a broken spoke will take a bit more work.
Old 09-22-18, 10:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
OK, Looks like 3x 24 is like 4 x 36 hole, tangent pull.. long spokes..

My Small 349 wheel, Bike Friday is 24 hole , 2x, rear hub, a skip hole 36..

Front of the other a 20" wheel BiFri, interlaced also, 32 hole 3X Rohloff; rear interlaced 1 cross..