Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Racer Tech Thread

Old 06-23-19, 07:17 PM
spdntrxi

Bikes: not enough

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Re aero wheel depth

Beginning of the season on my Roval CL50's I never felt a thing. I've dropped about 15lbs since then (~145lbs). Windy descents are kinda sketch now, but not near as much as the older V-shaped wheels I've had in years past. Today I was a little gripped on a couple of the descents when semi trucks went past, but nothing beyond scary. I think the Trainerroad guys said it in the flo wheels podcast.. It's about predictability now on the newer shaped wheels.
I have CLX50.. I'm not a fan of those in the crosswinds at all.. I'm 185ish. Honesty they handle like my Enve 7 did...
Old 06-24-19, 11:44 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
A teammate of mine says you get better power transfer with a LOOK type pedal compared to speedplay. Bogus? or True?
Old 06-25-19, 06:51 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
A teammate of mine says you get better power transfer with a LOOK type pedal compared to speedplay. Bogus? or True?
If this were true, no pro in any discipline (or triathlon) would be racing on speedplay.
Old 06-25-19, 07:29 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
If this were true, no pro in any discipline (or triathlon) would be racing on speedplay.
Triathlon has different requirements, but yeah, it does seem unlikely. Triathlon has to save some for the run, so they set their bikes up differently and use different muscle groups somewhat.

However, you won't find track sprinters on speedplay, so there is something there. I think that's due to tension and ability to add straps though more than float or pedal platform size.
Old 06-25-19, 09:16 AM
Radish_legs

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 455 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Triathlon has different requirements, but yeah, it does seem unlikely. Triathlon has to save some for the run, so they set their bikes up differently and use different muscle groups somewhat.

However, you won't find track sprinters on speedplay, so there is something there. I think that's due to tension and ability to add straps though more than float or pedal platform size.
It's because with speedplay there is a greater chance of becoming accidentally unclipped, and that's a big-time disaster on a track bike.
Old 06-25-19, 12:12 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
Originally Posted by Radish_legs
If power transfer differences between pedal systems weren't incredibly tiny, there would likely be published measurements of some kind, either from hobbyists or as part of marketing strategies.
Old 06-26-19, 11:53 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I can't decide between a used but "matching" style Giant SLR integrated bar and just a normal Easton EC70 aero. Not the newer integrated Giant bar for the hidden cable stuff, my Propel is older than that and I ain't got that kind of coin.

Similar cost, if the Giant is used. Though, I don't see the benefit of the integration if you use a Bolt style aero out-front mount on a normal Easton. I feel that negates having that slick aero integrated stem on the Giant a bit.

It's time to re-cable the Propel and figure may as well toss some bars on there.

It appears the change in reach on either is about the same, and is why I'm avoiding an Aeronova. Those add some reach to needing a new stem maybe.
Old 06-27-19, 09:18 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Anyone using a Whoot band (terrible name).

I don't love the subscription model, and I'm not training enough right now to be getting fatigued enough for it to really matter, but it seems like a really interesting idea. I'm sure someone else (Garmin) will have one soon to compete. Looks like nobody else has quite the same thing including the HRV, resting heart rate, sleep tracking all in one.

I've also heard that sleep tracking stuff is causing some people to get less sleep because they get anxious about getting good sleep so they can't sleep, lol.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-28-19, 04:21 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bought my bars, a stem, and a computer mount today.

I am holding off on the reveal though as I hope the three match as well as I hope.

I did go 400 down from 440 cheapo alloy Giant bars. I thought 380 was too narrow.

I can say I went aero, but not integrated.

Now on the hunt for a cool bar tape and a trendy tribal vinyl to cover the crap paint job from the repair I did last year.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-28-19, 05:55 PM
ntnyln

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Anyone using a Whoot band (terrible name).

I don't love the subscription model, and I'm not training enough right now to be getting fatigued enough for it to really matter, but it seems like a really interesting idea. I'm sure someone else (Garmin) will have one soon to compete. Looks like nobody else has quite the same thing including the HRV, resting heart rate, sleep tracking all in one.

I've also heard that sleep tracking stuff is causing some people to get less sleep because they get anxious about getting good sleep so they can't sleep, lol.
A summary I wrote on another board:

I've been using it since last July and have been pretty happy with it. I have dramatically improved my sleep time and have a much greater focus on recovery than I had previously. It's like gamifying your recovery and of course, I always want to win and that is a good thing in this case.

It tracks a number of different metrics, some reported, some not and provides you with a daily sleep summary, strain score (overall stress, not just workout related) and a recovery score. The recovery score is on a scale of 100 and is broken down into 3 segments: Red/Run Down, Yellow/OK To Operate and Green/Peaking Physically. I find that it actually tracks pretty well and use caution when I am Red or low Yellow. I usually don't make significant changes unless I am Red for multiple days.

A good example of how it tracks is this weekend. Thursday was a long day at work capped by a stressful night meeting that ran until 10pm. My recovery was Red on Friday and thankfully it was a recovery day. On Saturday I was still low yellow, but forged ahead with my workout: 5x15' Threshold Intervals, since it was only one Red day. I crashed and burned on the second interval. I ultimately pulled the plug and did some endurance work and spent the rest of the day recovering. Today, my recovery was high Yellow (2 pts from Green) so I went back and redid the workout from yesterday and I crushed it. I even set an all-time 90' power PR according to Training Peaks.

Feedback on a few of the comments and just misc info:
Sleep Tracking: I have had no issues with tracking sleep. It senses body temperature changes as to when it triggers sleep. It has been pretty accurate for me and haven't seen any major deviations. It's a wrist band and does need to be snug to the wrist. Just snug enough to not able to slide a finger under it.

Activities: You don't have to record "activities," but it helps when you look back to see why you strain was high on a particular day. It uses elevated HR and motion to detect activities. It does pick up my showers and daily food prep as an activity because I am moving around fairly quickly for an extended period of time. Conversely, it doesn't always pick up recovery rides on the trainer because my HR is low and there is no movement. Again, this has nothing to do with the data output, they only markers to look back at. For cycling they say the arm band is better, but the one issue I have is that changing bands daily is a little tedious so I just keep it on the wrist and my data matches my chest strap pretty close.

HR Readings: This is the one I was the most sceptical about since it is a wrist based optical sensor. I always wear a HR strap and have been surprised at close the Whoop is compared to my chest strap. The Whoop is always a few beat lower, but is pretty darn close.

Strain: This really helps you see what is impacting your life. Hint: your workouts are only a small part of the stress you body is going through. With all my training and racing, I have been shocked to find that vacations and the disruption of my schedule that they cause are the things that take the most time for me to recover from. I had a great trip to Asheville last year and it took my two weeks before my recovery score was Green again. It's really opened my eyes to trying to manage the rest of my life.

All that said, it's another data point to use to manage yourself and not a magic bullet. My coach had never heard of it before I got it and now it's one of the things he looks at when we review my week and we talk about how it and my TSS dovetail together. It's been eye opening for him and has been really useful in understanding why certain things (yesterday's workout) happen.

If you're interested, PM and I'll "refer" you and you can get $30 off (and I get a free month).
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 06-28-19, 06:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ntnyln
A summary I wrote on another board:
Very informative, thank you. I think it might be useful even at my very low amount of training, just to help me manage overall life stress a little better and get more sleep. I dunno if she'd use it but my wife probably needs one too.

Definitely something to think about (although I do really hate subscriptions, partially irrationally)
Old 06-30-19, 04:11 PM
Flatballer
No matches

I'd forgotten how annoying bikes can be when they aren't tip top.

Replaced my derailleur wheels because they both had cracks. Well, apparently those cracks were allowing enough play that the slightly bent hanger to not cause problems.

Now I can't get the shifting perfect in the 11T, wants to click as the chain sometimes rides up the ramps. Also just a ton of vibration in the drive train overall in the 50x11.

New hanger alignment tool on the way, not sure how I've avoided buying one this long.
Old 06-30-19, 04:34 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts

Now I can't get the shifting perfect in the 11T, wants to click as the chain sometimes rides up the ramps. Also just a ton of vibration in the drive train overall in the 50x11.
Just don't use the 50x11
Old 06-30-19, 05:34 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by Enthalpic
Just don't use the 50x11
I mean, I really don't unless really descending, which is rare. But it still really bothers me when things aren't just right, ya know?
Old 07-01-19, 06:18 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Sram?

I've had both those issues with Sram RDs before. The pulleys are not great - I've replaced them with some aluminum ones I found at Fairwheel Bikes. They are a bit more expensive that Sram, but last a lot longer.

As for the 11 issue, I found that by letting out the limit just a bit more than what you think you need helps.
Old 07-01-19, 08:38 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Sram?

I've had both those issues with Sram RDs before. The pulleys are not great - I've replaced them with some aluminum ones I found at Fairwheel Bikes. They are a bit more expensive that Sram, but last a lot longer.

As for the 11 issue, I found that by letting out the limit just a bit more than what you think you need helps.
Yep, SRAM. Yeah, I might need to go farther, the issue is the indexing stops it and the high limit doesn't do anything past a certain point. If I loosen the indexing then all the other shifts get worse. Which is what leads me to suspect slightly bent hanger or cage.
Old 07-03-19, 08:47 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Yep, SRAM. Yeah, I might need to go farther, the issue is the indexing stops it and the high limit doesn't do anything past a certain point. If I loosen the indexing then all the other shifts get worse. Which is what leads me to suspect slightly bent hanger or cage.
Hanger was slightly bent, but the hanger bolts were also loose. Tightened them, aligned the hanger, something still isn't quite right. Put the old upper jockey back and that maybe helped a smidgen, but I dunno.

I'll ride it tomorrow and see how bad it is, sometimes stuff seems bad on the stand but fine on the road.
Old 07-04-19, 08:52 AM
Flatballer
No matches

So I got my Edge 530 and Assioma Duo pedals (plus a new Tickr and Wahoo speed).

The new tech is absolutely amazing.

Put the pedals on, calibrate them after a sprint, and they just work from there. Incredible how far power meters have come.

L/R balance is about 52/48, for whatever it's worth. People seem to be of the opinion this is all kind of useless until there's more studies of smoothness and torque efficiency and balance and all that.

Almost forgot. Derailleur still messed up, clicks in a lot of gears.

Gonna realign hanger , then remove cable, double check all the high/low, check chain length, double check cable routing and b screw, retune it. If that doesn't help I think it might be a bent cage and I'll need a new derailleur. Still running about $100 right now, ugh.

Last edited by Flatballer; 07-04-19 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-05-19, 07:05 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

The handlebar came in. It looks sweet. The quality of it appears really good. I did some forum and other searching first on it to make sure it was something decent. The wing sweep isn't so much to alter the reach much. I'll order some cable housing and cable and just ride the cross bike and TT bike for a while.

Could have the shop do it, but for a guy in the group they didn't bother to run the cables inside his bar despite it having internal routing. Thus defeating the purpose.

I need to learn to do this anyway on a tougher job. I've done it on the TT bike nicely, but it has the sweet internal cable housing tubes to guide them through the frame perfectly.
Old 07-05-19, 08:05 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by burnthesheep
The handlebar came in. It looks sweet. The quality of it appears really good. I did some forum and other searching first on it to make sure it was something decent. The wing sweep isn't so much to alter the reach much. I'll order some cable housing and cable and just ride the cross bike and TT bike for a while.

Could have the shop do it, but for a guy in the group they didn't bother to run the cables inside his bar despite it having internal routing. Thus defeating the purpose.

I need to learn to do this anyway on a tougher job. I've done it on the TT bike nicely, but it has the sweet internal cable housing tubes to guide them through the frame perfectly.
I rarely trust anyone else to do as good of a job as I can, even if it takes me longer.

There's a picture I saw yesterday of a brand new Sworks or something that an LBS built up. The rear derailleur cable is so long it's almost sticking behind the wheel.
Old 07-05-19, 09:51 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Interesting read on Shimano crank-based power meters: https://gplama.com/2019/06/29/shiman...joYEj8KyWP4fdg
Old 07-05-19, 11:31 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
So I got my Edge 530 and Assioma Duo pedals (plus a new Tickr and Wahoo speed).

The new tech is absolutely amazing.

Put the pedals on, calibrate them after a sprint, and they just work from there. Incredible how far power meters have come.

L/R balance is about 52/48, for whatever it's worth. People seem to be of the opinion this is all kind of useless until there's more studies of smoothness and torque efficiency and balance and all that.

Almost forgot. Derailleur still messed up, clicks in a lot of gears.

Gonna realign hanger , then remove cable, double check all the high/low, check chain length, double check cable routing and b screw, retune it. If that doesn't help I think it might be a bent cage and I'll need a new derailleur. Still running about $100 right now, ugh.
Assioma's are great, never had a drop out, or any issues with power. The 'only' issue I've had is twice one side died overnight; my only guess is the pedal was leaning against something which caused it to be activated and run down.

A 4% difference is nbd; most have a dominant leg.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 07-06-19, 05:53 PM
Flatballer
No matches

99% of the time I don't see the point of road discs.

And then I almost end up in the road off the end of my driveway because cold rims taken outside into high humidity early in the morning means no brakes.

Seriously almost lost it just riding down my driveway.
Old 07-06-19, 07:23 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
Specialized S-Works Turbo Tubeless-Ready Tires and 2Bliss Rim Strips

This is just to present a couple of data points about these products, Specialized S-Works Turbo Tubeless-Ready 700x28c road tires and Specialized 29"x23mm 2Bliss rim tape.

My retirement job is working part-time in a Specialized bike shop. We got a pair of those tires as part of a larger order about a year ago, and they just sat on the shelf. Then this year during Classics season, I read about a racer on a Specialized-sponsored team (can't remember who, it was one of the German sprinter/one-day guys) who ran them successfully - he didn't flat - during one of the more gnarly races. My main wheels are a set of Hed Ardennes +, which are tubeless-ready and in fact, my first tires on those wheels were a pair of Specialized S-Works tubeless. They're a different design and proved more fragile than I wanted. I decided I'd give the Turbo tubeless-ready tires a try.

I had used Stan's tape before, and it worked okay, but I wanted to try something easier to apply. Being lazy, and knowing that 29er and 700c wheel are the same diameter, I snuck a box of Specialized 29"x23mm 2Bliss rim strips onto an order. When the rim strips came in, I put them on the wheels and mounted the tires. The rear seated on the first try, the front took a couple or three tries. I added a couple of ounces of Orange Seal to each tire and put them on the bike. That was about a month and a thousand miles ago. There's been no drama...or flats.

The ride is pretty nice. I'm running 80 psi in front and 90 psi in the rear, and they measure 32mm wide on the 25mm-wide Ardennes + rims. Grip is excellent and wear is better than expected for a race tire. There are some cuts in the tires, but that's inevitable on rural Louisiana roads. Air loss is about the same as with butyl tubes and less than with latex, so the rim strips are doing their job without the adhesive on tape like Stan's. Overall, I'm pretty happy with them. My one gripe is that they only come in 28s. I've used regular clincher S-Works Turbo 24s on these wheels and they measure 27mm wide when inflated, and that's about what I'd prefer.

In two weeks I'm doing the Gran Fondo Asheville, and these are the tires I'll be running.

Demain, on roule!
Old 07-07-19, 07:30 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I've been on the GP5000 TL in 28's all season. I think road tubeless has finally worked out all the bugs and is worth trying for everybody. Especially if you have disc brakes and flats are a pain the ass. I was an early adopter to some schwable pro in a fwe years ago and didn't have great luck.

The Aerocoach guys call the GP5000TL "flat proof" based on their most recent aero paper. According to them, the choice now is fast tires (vittoria corsa speed) or bomb proof tires (gp5000). Funny thing is you're only giving up a couple of watts to the GP5000 or the Turbo Tubeless. I'll take the peace of mind on anything but my TT bike.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.