Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Delivery guy on ebike ran me off the road last evening

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Old 06-15-19, 01:48 PM
Jrasero

Bikes: Scott Foil RC, Specialized Aethos

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 87 Posts

last evening around 8PM I was on a bike path heading home and a delivery guy on an ebike comes blasting to my right without any kind of notice. I quickly swerve to the left loose control hit a bump and fall to my left off, chain comes off and I crack a lever name plate, and ding my crank. I was literally a foot off the right side and this maniac again without any notice tries to pass me on the right when there was no incoming pedestrians on the left hand. By the time I got my barrings and checked if I was seriously hurt and then if my bike was hurt he already had rushed off. My wife said why didn't you chase after him lol. I know it's sad but after I got up and noticed I only have scrapped knees and arms my first thought was oh no my bike! lol

Here are some pictures of the damage but lucky for my bike the left side of my body took most of the impact, this is on a 2017 Scott Addict 20 Disc

The Ultegra lever is a tiny bit scratched at the bottom but the replacement part is $70 from Taiwan and I truly don't want to pay to get it replaced. The name plate cap is an easy $12 fix. Small scratch on the crank. The thing that sucks but isn't serious is the chain popped off and scratched the frame lightly. I have seen a whole lot worse so I consider myself lucky. I have taken a Sharpie and covered it up and then took clear nail polish to it. Looks ghetto but will protect it from water

I examined it last night and again today and even took it to the shop and from the outside that's all the damaged I or a tech could find. 20 mile ride today everything seemed normal

Last edited by Jrasero; 06-15-19 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-15-19, 02:16 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Did you get his license plate number?

or what store he worked for ?

............while you were eating dirt? Glad you are ok. Next time hold your line and stick your elbow out just a little bit.
Old 06-15-19, 02:39 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
Did you get his license plate number?

or what store he worked for ?

............while you were eating dirt? Glad you are ok. Next time hold your line and stick your elbow out just a little bit.
My wife asked the same question lol. There are only two Chinese delivery places in that area so by process of elimination I could probably figure it out. I am not sure if it's worth my time.

Yeah next time I will be throwing some bows
Old 06-15-19, 04:02 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by Jrasero
I am not sure if it's worth my time.
Posting on an inter-web forum about the incident is "worth your time" but lodging a complaint with the business using the e-bike delivery service that "ran you off the road" isn't "worth your time"?
What do you want virtual sympathy from BF or actually dealing with a real problem yourself with the the business using the e-bike delivery service?

Yet another Ignore: Jrasero

-Bandera

Last edited by Bandera; 06-15-19 at 04:23 PM.
Likes For Bandera:
Old 06-15-19, 05:16 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by Bandera
Posting on an inter-web forum about the incident is "worth your time" but lodging a complaint with the business using the e-bike delivery service that "ran you off the road" isn't "worth your time"?
What do you want virtual sympathy from BF or actually dealing with a real problem yourself with the the business using the e-bike delivery service?

Yet another Ignore: Jrasero

-Bandera
So what with the attitude? So I am going to press charges against some immigrant who probably doesn't have the means to higher a lawyer. No offense but as a Korean American I am not out to get people in trouble. Yeah what he did was stupid and could have seriously hurt me but I am fine and the bike seems fine. If you don't like the post that's fine but acting like the gate keeper of what people can and cant post is stupid. If my bike was stolen or I got in a car accident sure but ebikes are a licensed vehicle.
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 06-15-19, 06:01 PM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 263 Posts
So what with the attitude? So I am going to press charges against some immigrant who probably doesn't have the means to higher a lawyer. No offense but as a Korean American I am not out to get people in trouble. Yeah what he did was stupid and could have seriously hurt me but I am fine and the bike seems fine. If you don't like the post that's fine but acting like the gate keeper of what people can and cant post is stupid. If my bike was stolen or I got in a car accident sure but ebikes are a licensed vehicle.
I’m glad you’re alright, but what about the next time he does it and someone is seriously injured? Report him to his employer and the police. The point isn’t necessarily to punish him, but put everyone on notice if it happens again. The people he might injure deserve more protection than this idiot.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 06-15-19, 06:20 PM
mixteup

Bikes: A Few

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 63 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
I’m glad you’re alright, but what about the next time he does it and someone is seriously injured? Report him to his employer and the police. The point isn’t necessarily to punish him, but put everyone on notice if it happens again. The people he might injure deserve more protection than this idiot.
This is the way - Don't report to us, but tell the folks he works for that negative PR from running you off the road isn't going to help their business -
I bet they'll step on him right away
Old 06-15-19, 07:40 PM
Jrasero

Originally Posted by mixteup
This is the way - Don't report to us, but tell the folks he works for that negative PR from running you off the road isn't going to help their business -

I bet they'll step on him right away

no negative PR just sharing my experience. I don't expect any of you to do anything but read this if you want to. But telling people not to support my post or for me not to post is rude. I probably will approach the restaurant and see if I can make the owner aware
Likes For Jrasero:
Old 06-15-19, 07:47 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

In today’s day and age the perpetrator would probably sue Jrasero

he is probably smart to just move on from this unfortunate ridiculousness
Old 06-15-19, 08:06 PM
asgelle

In today’s day and age the perpetrator would probably sue Jrasero

he is probably smart to just move on from this unfortunate ridiculousness
Would you think it smart if you were seriously injured by this guy and found out someone could have reported him, but did nothing?
Likes For asgelle:
Old 06-15-19, 08:40 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Don’t sweat it.
Being ignored by a wannabe old racer like him is a good thing.
Old 06-15-19, 09:14 PM
Jrasero

Would you think it smart if you were seriously injured by this guy and found out someone could have reported him, but did nothing?
I think that's argument you would make for a murder or ****** lol. Either way I did call the suspected restaurant tonight and kind of like I thought they were 100% not receptive and asked me if I had any proof and besides being to idea the guy and bike it's a bit of my word versus theirs unless a third party can be found. And they actually said if you want just go to the police lol.
Old 06-15-19, 09:28 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Yelp the crap out of them to start.

-Tim-
Likes For TimothyH:
Old 06-16-19, 01:09 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 390 Posts
I quickly swerve to the left loose control hit a bump and fall to my left off, chain comes off and I crack a lever name plate, and ding my crank. I was literally a foot off the right side and this maniac again without any notice tries to pass me on the right when there was no incoming pedestrians on the left hand.
That's one heck of a swerve you got there.
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 06-16-19, 05:29 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
Ahh, the old 'with great power comes great responsibility' bit. Well played.
Old 06-16-19, 05:32 AM
mcours2006

Bikes: ...a few.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 2009 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 231 Posts
I'd totally go to the take-out place and tell the owners, and yell at the delivery guy with a few choice words...but that's just me.
Old 06-16-19, 06:12 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

I think that's argument you would make for a murder or ****** lol. Either way I did call the suspected restaurant tonight and kind of like I thought they were 100% not receptive and asked me if I had any proof and besides being to idea the guy and bike it's a bit of my word versus theirs unless a third party can be found. And they actually said if you want just go to the police lol.
Its difficult if you don’t have a witness or a video. Need some evidence. Unfortunately.

Elbows. Make them elbows wide.
Old 06-16-19, 12:47 PM
asgelle

Its difficult if you don’t have a witness or a video. Need some evidence.
Not really. https://pvcycling.wordpress.com/tag/...police-report/
Old 06-16-19, 01:09 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 405 Times in 251 Posts
I there was no Internet, no cell phones and no electronic or social media, what would you do? There is your answer.
Likes For drlogik:
Old 06-16-19, 10:07 PM
allout1

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drlogik
I there was no Internet, no cell phones and no electronic or social media, what would you do? There is your answer.
This is the reality, and the wisdom of this comes with lots of experience.

The thing about being on the bike around people is that you've got to be able to bear into someone at some times. You have to, and that sends the signal clearly that if they do punk you while you are balancing on your two wheels, it will be a brutal awakening.

I'm someone that sees something like that coming in an instant, and I'll cuss the lights on in that head while burling up to bear wretchedly over that person. Hey, if I'm getting wrecked, I'm going to make someone feel 100% of it. No questions asked. And you know what they're going to do? Nothing. What am I going to do? Protect the plate so to speak, and walk off after a schooling.

It's the reality. People are born, they don't know, they get cocky, and it's gotta be addressed, so that they'll swerve or slow down just like for a car. If they doin' it to me, they doin' everybody, and that can't stand once they met me.

E-bikes aren't licensed or anything. It's above 30mph that the mopeds start to have to be licensed, so unless you debilitate 'em, and you chain 'em to the tree with your bike rack chain or cable, you'll get nothing from a punkster except a lesson about what's possible on the trail.

GL
Old 06-16-19, 10:36 PM
Teamprovicycle
Banned

Bikes: Specialized tarmac sl2 giant tcx zero

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i dont get it , he passed you , not crashed into you , sounds to me like you squirreled out and crashed yourself , do to fear , i dont get the point of this post !!!???!!!??!!!
Old 06-17-19, 03:47 AM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Meh, battle scars. Gives a bike personality. Improves security, too.

I stubbornly remain on my side of the path, and go back to it after a manoeuvre, regardless of oncoming traffic on my side. They'll move. I've had to stop a few times as they fail to correct and end up in the bushes. The way i see it, if i move from my side and we still collide, i haven't got a defense.
Old 06-17-19, 05:52 AM
bakerjw

Bikes: Giant TCR/Surly Karate Monkey/Foundry FireTower/Curtlo Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 62 Posts
If you are going to be on the forums here, you will learn to use the ignore feature. Some people just like to chime is with nothing constructive to add.

Did the guy bump into you as he passed by on the right? If you overreacted and went down because of that, then you are partly at fault. But if they made contact, then I'd be super pissed off as you have a nice groupset on your bike and it all looks to be in good shape.
Old 06-17-19, 06:31 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 1,658 Times in 822 Posts
This is why I ride with a take-a-look mirror, a helmet-cam and an Airzound airhorn. Glad you're okay.
Old 06-17-19, 06:54 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
The police might give them a warning. If there are no complaints, nothing will happen

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.