Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike pic mission game, if anyone wants to play.

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-20, 08:00 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by merrman
I am hoping for a trailered boat at a boat launch. Kayaks and canoes don't require a launch. I was hoping someone would catch some weekend chaos which typically doesn't happen with non trailered set ups.

I think you're new to this game, so please excuse me if I'm telling you something you already know. We have run into the problem before where someone has inadvertently assigned a mission that is proving impossible, and when that happens, the mission assigner changes the mission somewhat to make it more practical. We call that the "Mr. Bill Clause". As DrIsotope noted, this is not a typical year, and there appears to be a lot fewer people boating right now than usual. So now, not only do you have to go to a boat launch, which I did last weekend, you also have to find someone there with a boat which is quite tricky to do if no one is vacationing, etc. Despite my 100 mile round trip, I couldn't find a soul there. Can you please modify the mission to something that doesn't require some really lucky timing? How about just assigning a boat launch? Or a boat out of the water anywhere?
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-20-20, 08:01 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
There's a boat launch right off the major bike trail here, but that's ~35 miles away. Relatively flat, but I won't have time to get down and back this weekend.

I also don't know how busy it is, since I never go that way.

I might take a quick ride out to Antelope Island this weekend, though.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 08-20-20, 08:02 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by DrIsotope
We have to be into Mr. Bill Clause by this point, right? We went from four missions in 10 hours to absolutely nothing for four days.

The nearest boat launch to me is 60 miles and 9,000ft of elevation away from me, and probably COVID-closed anyway.

Correction--it's been 6 days since the mission was assigned. Just pointing it out because it makes the reason for it even stronger.
Old 08-20-20, 08:29 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
Since we're at a bit of a standstill in the game, I want to just speak my opinion on a couple of aspects about it. It's not a big deal, but some of you probably will disagree with me. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I have played along and followed the game since it began in early November of '19. Still following, but I began to lose interest a couple of months ago because: 1) some of the missions were becoming too complex, in some cases involving more than one picture to complete the mission. And in some cases not general enough for everyone. For example, in the winter, there were requests for winter setting pics. That pretty much rules out anyone below the Mason-Dixon line (in the U.S.). Or, pics of palm trees, for example, that northerners can't get. When assigning missions...I have tried to make them simple, and something everyone has access too -- "A street sign with a name beginning with a certain letter"; "An electrical substation"; etc. And 2) side discussions and "non-entry" pics began to clutter the thread extensively. Instead of searching back through pages of non-entry posts for the current mission...I just didn't bother. So...I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. But I think if we kept the game simple, general, and 'to the point' that it would keep the game moving along, and more people would take interest.

Dan
Old 08-20-20, 09:22 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Since we're at a bit of a standstill in the game, I want to just speak my opinion on a couple of aspects about it. It's not a big deal, but some of you probably will disagree with me. I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. I have played along and followed the game since it began in early November of '19. Still following, but I began to lose interest a couple of months ago because: 1) some of the missions were becoming too complex, in some cases involving more than one picture to complete the mission. And in some cases not general enough for everyone. For example, in the winter, there were requests for winter setting pics. That pretty much rules out anyone below the Mason-Dixon line (in the U.S.). Or, pics of palm trees, for example, that northerners can't get. When assigning missions...I have tried to make them simple, and something everyone has access too -- "A street sign with a name beginning with a certain letter"; "An electrical substation"; etc. And 2) side discussions and "non-entry" pics began to clutter the thread extensively. Instead of searching back through pages of non-entry posts for the current mission...I just didn't bother. So...I'm not trying to hurt anyone's feelings. But I think if we kept the game simple, general, and 'to the point' that it would keep the game moving along, and more people would take interest.

Dan

I'm only going to agree with part of that--

1) I don't like the complex, multi-part missions and would also add I don't think it's ok to demand some sort of essay as part of the submission. This is, in essence, a scavenger hunt and I think people should stick to assigning a single photographic mission, no more, no less.

I don't mind sitting out a mission because x is not in my area and some of that regional stuff keeps the missions from becoming TOO mundane. We just had tower cranes, for example, and there's absolutely none of those in my general area. It was fun seeing how fast someone else could turn one up.

2) Maybe people should ease up on the non-entry pics because they do make the thread harder to follow, especially on a phone, but I think the textual digressions have been pretty limited and for me a lot of fun. This is a game, a remote social activity, I just think it's a lot more fun if we can have some banter and small talk between the participants. We already made the missions easier to spot by bolding them so I don't think it's too hard to skip past someone's little story or joke if you just want to get on with it. I have a reaction to this that's pretty much the opposite of yours, if this turns into a really rule-bound, "just the facts, maam" thread, I'm going to see little reason I'm going to want to participate. The people on this thread have generally been people I've really enjoyed chatting with, and I'd like to see that continue.

Threads do have a life-cycle, rarely do they last as long as this one, and inevitably, people will come and go. I'm going to continue to play it as I have and hope you stick around. I've enjoyed your postings and your assignments.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 08-20-20, 09:55 AM
merrman
Long time lurker

Bikes: 88 Marinoni Special, 86 Miyata 1000, 87 Miyata 712, 81 Apollo Imperial, 81 Apollo Gran Tour, 81 Apollo Gran Sport, Nishiki International, Diamond back ascent, Raleigh superbe, Raleigh sport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I think you're new to this game, so please excuse me if I'm telling you something you already know. We have run into the problem before where someone has inadvertently assigned a mission that is proving impossible, and when that happens, the mission assigner changes the mission somewhat to make it more practical. We call that the "Mr. Bill Clause". As DrIsotope noted, this is not a typical year, and there appears to be a lot fewer people boating right now than usual. So now, not only do you have to go to a boat launch, which I did last weekend, you also have to find someone there with a boat which is quite tricky to do if no one is vacationing, etc. Despite my 100 mile round trip, I couldn't find a soul there. Can you please modify the mission to something that doesn't require some really lucky timing? How about just assigning a boat launch? Or a boat out of the water anywhere?
I have been following the game for a while just not participating till now. I figured this would be an easy one. I have several boat launches near by and it wouldn't be to hard to catch someone launching as they are pretty busy in the summer but these are strange times so lets simplify it.

Mission adjusted: Pic of a boat launch. No boat required.
Likes For merrman:
Old 08-20-20, 10:20 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm only going to agree with part of that--
Concur with your points. Thanks.

Dan
Likes For _ForceD_:
Old 08-21-20, 08:45 AM
Thruhiker 

Bikes: Fuji touring, jeep hybrid Trek 1100

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Likes For Thruhiker:
Old 08-21-20, 08:54 AM
Thruhiker 

If the above photo won I would like the next mission to be
AN ADVERSITEMENT WITH A BICYCLE FOR A PRODUCT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CYCLING.
It can be a poster billboard but not on a tv/or computer.
an example is I recently saw a billboard for replacement windows the picture was taken from inside the house and there was a patio set pool and bicycle in the back yard.
I've followed this game for a long time I think it's fun. I'm always a couple days late I didnt even read this challenge till last night. If this is too obscure or difficult Mr Bill can correct or start a new challenge as he sees fit

edit. Fat tire ale not acceptable

Last edited by Thruhiker; 08-21-20 at 09:00 AM.
Likes For Thruhiker:
Old 08-21-20, 09:25 PM
merrman
Long time lurker

Bikes: 88 Marinoni Special, 86 Miyata 1000, 87 Miyata 712, 81 Apollo Imperial, 81 Apollo Gran Tour, 81 Apollo Gran Sport, Nishiki International, Diamond back ascent, Raleigh superbe, Raleigh sport

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Thanks for the boat launch pic. I thought i had brought the game to a grinding halt.
Old 08-23-20, 09:44 AM
Thruhiker 

Your welcome. That was the Potomac river in williamsport MD. I took a 2 night trip on the c&o canal.
It seems I've brought the game to a halt this time. Should the mission be changed?
Old 08-23-20, 10:34 AM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
Originally Posted by Thruhiker
...It seems I've brought the game to a halt this time. Should the mission be changed?
I'd say not yet. It's a very reasonable mission. I recall seeing these in the area, though I did not succeed in finding one yet while riding. Someone else will probably bag it sooner, but I'm pretty sure I will find one in the next few days.

Next Mission: AN ADVERSITEMENT WITH A BICYCLE FOR A PRODUCT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CYCLING.
It can be a poster billboard but not on a tv/or computer....Fat tire ale not acceptable
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-23-20, 07:11 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,534 Times in 1,044 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
I'd say not yet. It's a very reasonable mission. I recall seeing these in the area, though I did not succeed in finding one yet while riding. Someone else will probably bag it sooner, but I'm pretty sure I will find one in the next few days.
Last billboard I recall seeing that would have met this mission was 19 years ago in Heidelberg, Germany, selling West brand cigarettes. This billboard was so wacky that I saved the picture ( note the ad text was entirely in English, the legalese in German) but alas the picture was snapped 19 years ago and no longer meets the mission rules.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 08-24-20, 09:13 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
LOL Nice billboard.
Old 08-25-20, 12:14 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

La bicicleta de comida mexicana. Next: Exterminator

Next Mission: AN ADVERSITEMENT WITH A BICYCLE FOR A PRODUCT THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CYCLING.

Next Mission: Exterminator truck or service vehicle. Extra credit for a giant bug on top.

Last edited by flangehead; 08-26-20 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Clean up
Likes For flangehead:
Old 08-26-20, 11:59 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
No giant bug, but I do has this fella:

The Western trucks used to be yellow, and each one had a smaller version of that dude on the back, with a little mouse looking up at him. Now the vehicles are green and white pickups with camper shells, and are SUPER boring.
Old 08-26-20, 12:13 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
I think that gets bonus points just because:

-mr. bill
Likes For mr_bill:
Old 08-26-20, 01:27 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

No giant bug, but I do has this fella:

The Western trucks used to be yellow, and each one had a smaller version of that dude on the back, with a little mouse looking up at him. Now the vehicles are green and white pickups with camper shells, and are SUPER boring.
Is that a truck behind the guy? It's a little hard to see.
Old 08-26-20, 07:11 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

The splotches of yellow-ish are the tail ends of some of the trucks. There was one closer to the front entrance, but, booooring. Always go for the big guy.

I would have loved to have gotten a pic with a Truly Nolen car, but alas, the nearest franchise is some 30 miles away. The 18 miles each way to Western was plenty for an August Wednesday, 90º by 9am.

Old 08-27-20, 12:53 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

The splotches of yellow-ish are the tail ends of some of the trucks. There was one closer to the front entrance, but, booooring. Always go for the big guy.

I would have loved to have gotten a pic with a Truly Nolen car, but alas, the nearest franchise is some 30 miles away. The 18 miles each way to Western was plenty for an August Wednesday, 90º by 9am.

That car is almost creepy.

Mission?
Old 08-27-20, 10:19 AM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts
Wow, this thread just got interesting. LOL. Nice finds!!!

I'm guessing it didn't completely fulfill the requirements though.... eh? It was pretty darned close though. I can't believe they would've used the same dude from a Van Halen T shirt.... LOL.
Old 08-27-20, 10:48 AM
flangehead

Mission Fulfilled; Next?

I've been busy with a hurricane. Mission fulfilled. Frighteningly close to being a muffler man..

Please post a new mission.
Old 08-27-20, 11:03 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6215 Post(s)
Liked 4,214 Times in 2,362 Posts

Truly Nolen has an astounding number of classic cars with their name on them parked throughout Tucson. They have the funny yellow cars for running around...the little ears are hilarious... but the number and variety of classic cars just parked at intersections is amazing.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-27-20, 11:44 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

As I seemingly ride past one on every other ride,

Next Mission: a Gentleman's Club.

As I don't think it's unique to SoCal, bonus points for the "strip club in a strip mall" of which we have... many. Now's the time, as they're all shuttered due to COVID, so no one will look creepy wheeling their bike up to a strip club.. Okay, at least less creepy.
Old 08-27-20, 12:10 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Now's the time, as they're all shuttered due to COVID...

LOL...not here in Rhode Island. They're allowing the 'ladies' to do their work outdoors (masked, of course).

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/06/...ot-showing-up/

Next Mission: a Gentleman's Club.

Dan

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.