Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fitting Your Bike
Reload this Page >

Saddle height

Notices
Fitting Your Bike Are you confused about how you should fit a bike to your particular body dimensions? Have you been reading, found the terms Merxx or French Fit, and don’t know what you need? Every style of riding is different- in how you fit the bike to you, and the sizing of the bike itself. It’s more than just measuring your height, reach and inseam. With the help of Bike Fitting, you’ll be able to find the right fit for your frame size, style of riding, and your particular dimensions. Here ya’ go…..the location for everything fit related.

Saddle height

Old 09-19-20, 04:25 PM
kjaioqhbkqb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
Saddle height

I like to ride upright on commutes and tours. Mtb with smooth tires. Riser bars, tall stem.

I picked up a new old mtb with flat bars that sweep back 13-15 degrees. This bike frame is much larger than my regular bike mentioned above. The previous owner had the saddle on this flat-bar bike way above the bars. It looks much cooler that way, but for me my feet wouldn't touch the floor. Is that okay? I can stand over the top bar just fine with both feet flat on the ground.

Last edited by kjaioqhbkqb; 09-19-20 at 04:30 PM.
Old 09-19-20, 08:35 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3873 Post(s)
Liked 1,920 Times in 1,369 Posts
Google "heel on pedal saddle height.". Read a few of the results, then apply.

No, it should not be possible to reach the ground with your feet while sitting on the saddle.
Old 09-28-20, 09:57 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
Yes, it's fine. You also look cooler with a better saddle height.
Old 10-26-20, 02:19 PM
Gary in NJ

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.3, 2015 Trek FrankenMarlin Gravel Thing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 31 Posts
Heel on pedals, Inseam x 0.883, 109% of inseam, inseam (in CM) less 10cm, 25 degree at the knee...all produce results that are within 15mm of each other for me. All of these methods are good for finding a starting point, but in the end you will need to explore a bit to find the saddle height that helps you produce the most power, keeps parts from getting numb, and (most importantly) is the most comfortable.

Don't rush the process, it takes time.
Likes For Gary in NJ:
Old 10-27-20, 02:41 PM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels
I'm also setup with heel on pedal (due to use of short crank) and I can still reach the ground with both my toes and even move the bike around very slowly with the toes while sitting in the saddle. Probably from more setback and low ground clearance.
Yep, it depends on a how big your feet are and how high the bottom bracket on the bike is. I can get my toes down on my road bike, my full suspension mountain bike has a much higher bottom bracket and there's no way.

To the OP: Think about it this way. At the bottom of the pedal stroke, your leg should have a slight bend, but the pedal is still 3in off the ground. If you were to straighten your leg the whole way your heel probably can't touch the ground, but your toes might.

Cyclists deal with this issue a variety of ways. Most simply come forward off the saddle when they stop. If you lean the bike to one side, you can put a foot down. You'll also see cyclists with a foot on the curb, which is the right height to reach while seated.
Likes For gsa103:
Old 10-28-20, 09:34 AM
frogman

Bikes: Wife says I have too many :-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 158 Posts
Originally Posted by gsa103
Yep, it depends on a how big your feet are and how high the bottom bracket on the bike is. I can get my toes down on my road bike, my full suspension mountain bike has a much higher bottom bracket and there's no way.

To the OP: Think about it this way. At the bottom of the pedal stroke, your leg should have a slight bend, but the pedal is still 3in off the ground. If you were to straighten your leg the whole way your heel probably can't touch the ground, but your toes might.

Cyclists deal with this issue a variety of ways. Most simply come forward off the saddle when they stop. If you lean the bike to one side, you can put a foot down. You'll also see cyclists with a foot on the curb, which is the right height to reach while seated.

Or they do like I did when first using clipless pedals and come to a stop light, try to put their foot out without unclipping and fall over to the side.
Old 12-26-20, 01:46 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 654 Times in 498 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ
Heel on pedals, Inseam x 0.883, 109% of inseam, inseam (in CM) less 10cm, 25 degree at the knee...all produce results that are within 15mm of each other for me. All of these methods are good for finding a starting point, but in the end you will need to explore a bit to find the saddle height that helps you produce the most power, keeps parts from getting numb, and (most importantly) is the most comfortable.

Don't rush the process, it takes time.
For me the most important issue is to find the point where knee pain does not occur and where my toes don't feel like my foot is trying to drive through the top of the pedal at bottom dead center. Heel on pedal is not far from the correct spot. Usually when I rediscover this point if I go even a little lower I get some front/side of knee pain, and if I go much higher I feel stretching in the hamstrings and back of knee, and some clunking from my left foot gently leaving the pedal. Historically that's how my legs work. I also need to think about if I'm on the metal cantle plate or cushioned on the tensioned leather surface.