Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Show us your Raleigh Super Course!

Old 10-25-20, 07:23 PM
Teej1

Bikes: GT Ricochet, Kibuki SL, Columbia 5spd, &^ Raleigh Grand Prix , 71 Grand Prix, 73 Fuji spec RR.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
However you approach it, period correct or factory correct or..., you have a very nice bike.
Old 10-25-20, 09:06 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
Here’s my 72 SC with 700c wheels, 750 brakes, and cyclo-cross cartridge pads.

The brake hardware is a little clunky, maybe, but easily adjustable and very powerful. I think the pad holders are jagwire and the inserts are kool-stop.
Old 10-26-20, 11:02 PM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts

Here's my '73 SC on a voting run a few days ago. Pardon the non drive side shot, but this old bike has been on here many times.

I recently swapped the mismatched wheelset on my '78 SC for these nice Campy hubs laced to dark anodize MA40s. I miss the old Campy high flange hubs, even though mismatched. I think I paid $60 for the old wheels 20 years ago when I switched to clinchers. They've been on 4 or 5 bikes, and will probably see service again one day. I plan to mount some skin wall Paselas one day to lighten the look. These are 28c Gatorskins.

Last edited by Slightspeed; 10-26-20 at 11:11 PM.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 10-26-20, 11:15 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Slightspeed

Here's my '73 SC on a voting run a few days ago. Pardon the non drive side shot, but this old bike has been on here many times.

I recently swapped the mismatched wheelset on my '78 SC for these nice Campy hubs laced to dark anodize MA40s. I miss the old Campy high flange hubs, even though mismatched. I think I paid $60 for the old wheels 20 years ago when I switched to clinchers. They've been on 4 or 5 bikes, and will probably see service again one day. I plan to mount some skin wall Paselas one day to lighten the look. These are 28c Gatorskins.
Love the Campy look with the dark anodized rims and I agree that Gum wall Panaracers would look even better. Show your C&V bike on a voting run might make a good thread. Probably been done already.
Old 10-29-20, 11:52 AM
jimijames

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 14 Posts
I just reached my post count to be able finally share my project pics. I bought it from original owner who bought it in 1972 or 1971 which perfectly correlates with the Nervex lugs and cursive font labels. I decided to remove original short cottered Nervar crank and Weinmann dimple 27 rims and rebuild with newer wheelset using original Normandy sport hubs with Campy axles and cones (poor man's high flange Record hubs), Mavic MA2 700 rims and Pasela tires. Spins smooth as a butter! Original owner upgraded DT shifter to barcons which was a very nice surprise! I removed original Simplex FD, RD and installed Suntour Compe V FD and Suntour Vx RD. It was another story of resurrecting these old Suntour derailleurs from parts. Freewheel is Shimano 5 speed 28/12. Crank is Superbe 170mm which is a bit short for me but it works so far. It rides amazingly! Thank you for your support, information from this thread that helped me to built this machine

Raleigh Super Course 1972

Last edited by jimijames; 10-29-20 at 01:19 PM.
Likes For jimijames:
Old 10-29-20, 01:04 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 250 Post(s)
Liked 314 Times in 197 Posts
Great looking machine! If it came with Simplex mechs I would guess it to be a '72. I've read that the only difference between 1971 and '72 was that the '71 had Huret derailleurs and the '72 had Simplex.
Likes For daka:
Old 10-30-20, 10:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
I believe @daka is right. And very good work, @jimijames.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-30-20, 05:03 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 781 Posts
SC followed me home today

Pics to come.

00091-something-1 (the something because only part of that digit is visible, the stamping machine wheel didn't make it all the way to the next detent)

19 1/2 inches c-c; (did Raleigh measure c-c because only the 73 had a frame size possibly this small), frame weighs just under 5 pounds, fork about 1 lbs 11 ounces.

Normandy hubs with Atom QRs and aluminium clincher rims, no brand except one has bits of a yellow label. Fiamme? Spec sheet just says "alloy".

GB stem, no brand on the bars, Weinmanns, "Made by Stronglight" steel 42-52 crankset, Simplex shifters and rear mech and a Shimano who cares front, Raleigh 501 pedals, Brampton BB which unfortunately is rusted pitted and useless. I hope the headset is better.

Copper paint, block-outline letter RALEIGH on chainstays and downtube, Bocama lugs, an exact match in paint & decals for the 73 in Sheldon's catalogue except that says Capella lugs and a Raleigh 40-52 cranksetset. The 72 spec sheet says Atom pedals and Nervex lugs, only the GS got Bocama.

It was barely ridden, the brake shoes have no wear and the rims haven't lost any anodizing. The rear mech has a broken pulley that looks as though it was ridden and the chain just slid over the broken section, never turning the pulley, maybe that's why; and the chainrings are bent a bit. There was a kickstand which has left shallow dents, and a nasty small one on the right seatstay from a too-large spanner application to the seatpost clamp bolt. The chrome looks bad but I'm sure most is staining not pitting, the worst is the fork frown top, and that won't be too bad when it's cleaned and polished and clear-coated.

Pretty much everything came apart as it's supposed to; the seatpost wanted one larger-than-normal grunt, and one cotter needed a good tap with a hammer. Stem, BB cups, pedals all were tight but spun out no trouble.

Last edited by oneclick; 10-31-20 at 05:08 AM.
Old 10-30-20, 06:11 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,392 Times in 694 Posts
Looking forward to pix, especially of the Bocama lugs - perhaps they used them on this petite frame because other lugs were too bulky?
Old 10-31-20, 05:02 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Looking forward to pix, especially of the Bocama lugs - perhaps they used them on this petite frame because other lugs were too bulky?
That makes sense.

I did a bit more measuring - wheelbase is 40 inches (axle in the middle of the slot), which is long-ish for a frame this size - but the chainstay is seventeen-and-a-half! I wonder if

a) there is any toe-clip overlap; and
b) driving it will feel like being in a cab-over.
Old 10-31-20, 08:52 PM
jimijames

Originally Posted by noglider
I believe @daka is right. And very good work, @jimijames.
Thank you, noglider and daka. It is a great machine to ride, still tuning it. I find that the rear wheel gets loose when the torque is too high, trying to see what could cause that, probably axle is slightly on a longer side and QR couldn't fully close.

Btw, this is a great restoration project.
John's Bicycle Restorations: 1972? Raleigh Super Course Restoration - Very Versatile!

Last edited by jimijames; 10-31-20 at 11:28 PM.
Old 10-31-20, 10:50 PM
87 Demo

Bikes: 1972 Raleigh Super Course, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1974 Raleigh Super Tourer, 1975 Raleigh International, 1976 Torresini, 1987 Tommaso TC Cromor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Making updates tomorrow- Replacing the crank with a TA and replacing the pedals with campy SL. these are a newly built wheelset, the old Weinmann rims both were near the end of their lives so they're been replaced with some Araya rims whose model I've never been sure of, but i have somehow kept finding-I have these on two other bikes.

Old 11-01-20, 05:02 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by 87 Demo
Making updates tomorrow- Replacing the crank with a TA and replacing the pedals with campy SL. these are a newly built wheelset, the old Weinmann rims both were near the end of their lives so they're been replaced with some Araya rims whose model I've never been sure of, but i have somehow kept finding-I have these on two other bikes.
Can you measure this c-c? I have what looks to be the same size & paint scheme, but Bocama lugs; above it was suggested because of the small head tube, but yours fit...

And can you tell us the BB details - with a pic or measure of the chainring-chainstay clearance.
Old 11-01-20, 05:07 AM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by jimijames
I just reached my post count to be able finally share my project pics. I bought it from original owner who bought it in 1972 or 1971 which perfectly correlates with the Nervex lugs and cursive font labels. I decided to remove original short cottered Nervar crank and Weinmann dimple 27 rims and rebuild with newer wheelset using original Normandy sport hubs with Campy axles and cones (poor man's high flange Record hubs), Mavic MA2 700 rims and Pasela tires. Spins smooth as a butter! Original owner upgraded DT shifter to barcons which was a very nice surprise! I removed original Simplex FD, RD and installed Suntour Compe V FD and Suntour Vx RD. It was another story of resurrecting these old Suntour derailleurs from parts. Freewheel is Shimano 5 speed 28/12. Crank is Superbe 170mm which is a bit short for me but it works so far. It rides amazingly! Thank you for your support, information from this thread that helped me to built this machine
Can you tell us what the BB arrangements are - what fit?
Old 11-01-20, 12:08 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7334 Post(s)
Liked 2,431 Times in 1,420 Posts
@jimijames, since there is a claw derailleur hanger on the right dropout and not on the left one, the axle on the right needs to hang out from the lock nut more than it does on the left. There might be too much overhang on the left.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 11-01-20, 01:44 PM
daka

Originally Posted by oneclick
Can you measure this c-c? I have what looks to be the same size & paint scheme, but Bocama lugs; above it was suggested because of the small head tube, but yours fit...

And can you tell us the BB details - with a pic or measure of the chainring-chainstay clearance.
It's a little hard to judge because the photos show the bike not parked on level ground, but looking at the space between the lugs on the head tube I'd say that frame is a 21 1/2" c-t (which is how Carlton measured them). Now imagine trying to reduce that spacing by 2 inches to create a 19 1/2" frame....... Even crowding the lugs, I don't think it will allow a level top tube.

As to BBs, my experience is that some Super Courses have English bottom brackets and others have Raleigh proprietary. Of the five Super Courses that have passed through the garage here, two of them have had Raleigh BBs. The Raleigh ones are several mm wider which makes them easy to recognize without disassembly. Changing cranksets on an English threaded BB is straightforward, the Raleigh one not so much. You'd need the 26 tpi cups (or re-use the ones you have) but a spindle that has a greater distance between the races - perhaps an Italian spindle will work? BITD Phil Wood could sell you an arrangement that worked, but it often cost as much as the bike would have been worth at the time.
Old 11-01-20, 05:00 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by daka
It's a little hard to judge because the photos show the bike not parked on level ground, but looking at the space between the lugs on the head tube I'd say that frame is a 21 1/2" c-t (which is how Carlton measured them). Now imagine trying to reduce that spacing by 2 inches to create a 19 1/2" frame....... Even crowding the lugs, I don't think it will allow a level top tube.

As to BBs, my experience is that some Super Courses have English bottom brackets and others have Raleigh proprietary. Of the five Super Courses that have passed through the garage here, two of them have had Raleigh BBs. The Raleigh ones are several mm wider which makes them easy to recognize without disassembly. Changing cranksets on an English threaded BB is straightforward, the Raleigh one not so much. You'd need the 26 tpi cups (or re-use the ones you have) but a spindle that has a greater distance between the races - perhaps an Italian spindle will work? BITD Phil Wood could sell you an arrangement that worked, but it often cost as much as the bike would have been worth at the time.
Mine has English, but I was asking because some would have Raleigh and the shell and frame clearance would likely be the same as the Raleigh-shelled Carlton Cobra I've got all apart.

Not an issue anymore, I cut some 26 TPI threads into a pair of Italian cups and all is well. Phil Wood rings and his tool would yes, be more than the bike cost.
Old 11-01-20, 05:51 PM
oneclick 

Originally Posted by rustystrings61
Here you go:

Nervex are Nicer.
Old 11-01-20, 06:01 PM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Those appear to be the same Bocama Professional lugs used for the Gran Sport c.1973-76, which makes sense - they were already in inventory and they require less head tube real estate than Capellas. I am still waiting for someone to document the supply chain issues with Nervex Pro lugs c.1972-73.
Likes For rustystrings61:
Old 11-01-20, 07:13 PM
daka

When did Peugeot move away from Nervex Pro lugs on the PX-10? Was it about the same time?
Old 11-01-20, 08:34 PM
rustystrings61 

Originally Posted by daka
When did Peugeot move away from Nervex Pro lugs on the PX-10? Was it about the same time?
Px-10s came with the plain Nervex DuBois pattern lugs in 1972 - the head lugs are painted black and the frame angles are the more traditional laid-back 72-ish degrees. In ‘73 one starts seeing black Nervex Pro lugs again, but with much more upright angles. The plain DuBois pattern lugs also show up on the PX-10LE in ‘74, and eventually the curly Pros were discontinued- I don’t recall seeing any on Peugeots built after the 75-77 graphic scheme and I couldn’t swear the example I recall wasn’t a repaint with the wrong decals.

But there is something there with the Pro lugs in that time frame, with Peugeot briefly switching away from them, then resuming their use AND Raleigh‘s one-year-only use of Capella lugs on three different models that normally used Nervex Pro lugs .... and it was when the boom was at its height. Someone with connections in France could probably do an awesome article about supply chains in those years when demand outstripped supply.

Last edited by rustystrings61; 11-01-20 at 08:38 PM.
Old 11-01-20, 09:14 PM
Kilroy1988 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 981 Post(s)
Liked 1,844 Times in 609 Posts
I haven't sold it yet, but this week I'm beginning the full restoration of a 1979 Mercian Campionissimo frame set that is due to replace my 1970 Super Course, which I probably rode for a total of about 100 miles over the past two years or so. It needs some fresh grease in places so I was only using it lightly while determining what needed fixing, and now it'll probably be superseded before I get a chance to really get it in prime condition! Such a pretty ride, but the 25.5" frame is as absolutely tall as I can stand over and the bike itself weighs around 30 pounds with accessories, which is a bit much for my tastes...

Just got this photo uploaded from my phone and saw this thread bumped, so I figured I'd share again! Think I might have shared one from this photo shoot in an almond orchard before on a different thread...

-Gregory

Likes For Kilroy1988:
Old 11-01-20, 09:48 PM
daka

That is a very pretty bicycle! And another example of a Super Course with Bocama lugs.
Old 11-02-20, 12:47 AM
jimijames

Originally Posted by noglider
@jimijames, since there is a claw derailleur hanger on the right dropout and not on the left one, the axle on the right needs to hang out from the lock nut more than it does on the left. There might be too much overhang on the left.
Thank you! I spent some time with the bike today and realized why the rear wheel was going loose. Last weekend when I went for a ride I heard the sound of something metal falling on the road, checked the bike, everything seemed alright and continue cycling and after that I noticed the problem with the wheel. Today I realized it was a piece from a derailleur claw hanger that goes behind the dropout went missing and derailleur started shifting that caused the QR not being perpendicular to the derailleur hanger. Problem now solved!

Btw, last night decided to rebuilt the original wheelset using Weinmann dimple 27 rims, robergel trois etoiles spokes and Normandy hub. I used Autosol to polish all the aluminum parts. Very happy with the results.
Likes For jimijames:
Old 11-02-20, 10:48 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by jimijames
Snip*
Btw, last night decided to rebuilt the original wheelset using Weinmann dimple 27 rims, robergel trois etoiles spokes and Normandy hub. I used Autosol to polish all the aluminum parts. Very happy with the results.
... You make it sound like you did this on a whim... If you did, Kudos!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.