Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Tire options

Old 10-18-17, 02:17 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
Tire options

Hi all. Looking at some future tire options for my 26er dropbar conversion when the current ones wear out. A few tires have caught my eye, but no idea what experiences people have had with them. My 700c bike has 40c MSOs, which are great, but sadly not available in 26 (and I also want a wider tire (around 50c/2in) for going farther afield on the 26er). I want to keep the low center tread with higher corners...The tires that have caught my eye:

Continental Double Fighter III - nice file or file-ish tread with knobby edges, seems like a more aggressive version of the MSO in some ways, maybe tougher (it's heavier) but less compliant?

Schwalbe Sammy Slick - Seems to do everything I want, but looks like the 26 may no longer be available?

Michelin Country Rock - have heard this is a good "all around" tire that works in many conditions and the tread pattern looks like it could work well, but unclear as to whether it's any good in gravelly/muddy conditions?

Thoughts/opinions? Am I missing some good contenders?
Old 10-18-17, 02:41 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 1971 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 629 Posts
I haven't used Double Fighter III, but I have a pair of Double Fighter II and they're very slow. In the 20mph ballpark, on road or smooth hardpack, I'd say I lose about 2mph to my Rat Trap Pass ELs.

No idea about the Country Rock.

For a decently-fast tire with non-aggressive center tread and some side knob, I'd think a Continental Speed King would be a good option, albeit more expensive than what you're looking at.
Old 10-18-17, 03:17 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
the problem is, good 26" tires are often no longer being made. Schwalbe's selection has dwindled drastically, and REI doesn't carry 26" tires either. I have some old panaracers I love (smooth center with good lugs on the edges. Not sure what I will do when they wear out...
Old 10-20-17, 01:12 PM
IslandTimePE
dirtroadcycling.ca

Bikes: 2016 Giant Revolt, 1985 Miyata Two Ten, 1987 Steve Bauer Chinook, 2005 Giant Rainier

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continental Travel Contact

I used these on my rigid frame/fork 26" gravel bike this year. Continental Travel Contacts:

Continental Travel Contact Trekking Tyre | Chain Reaction Cycles

Put 1000 + km on them, 90% on gravel and dirt roads, including riding D2R2. Not a light tire, but I found them to roll fairly well. They have good traction in everything but deep sand. And very durable. Not a single flat, not even any noticeable cuts in the rubber.
Old 10-20-17, 03:26 PM
TGT1

Bikes: 80's Schwinn High Plains, Motobecane Ti Cyclocross

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 21 Posts
I've been really happy with Continental Crossride's It's an "adventure touring" tire with overlapping center knobs so it's effectively a slick on pavement. I really can't feel any difference between them and 24mm high pressure tires in rolling resistance. High thread count supple side wall, Vectran breaker so about all that flats them are tire wires.

They perform really well on loose rocky fire roads and sand until the center knobs wear off, after that they are the go to street tire with a really plush ride.

You can also usually find them on sale for less than 30 bucks.

Disadvantage is that they aren't light and are 42mm so they won't fit a lot of rigs.

I had a Continental "Attack/Force" setup on the bike for a while and changed back this morning to a worn pair of Crossride's. No difference in route speed, a bit more effort climbing as they are double or triple the weight, but no worries about shaking any fillings loose.
Old 03-05-19, 09:22 AM
Mambo Dave

Bikes: Dawes, Jamis, Gardin, Can-o-ale

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bcpriess
Hi all. Looking at some future tire options for my 26er dropbar conversion when the current ones wear out. A few tires have caught my eye, but no idea what experiences people have had with them. My 700c bike has 40c MSOs, which are great, but sadly not available in 26 (and I also want a wider tire (around 50c/2in) for going farther afield on the 26er). I want to keep the low center tread with higher corners...The tires that have caught my eye:

Continental Double Fighter III - nice file or file-ish tread with knobby edges, seems like a more aggressive version of the MSO in some ways, maybe tougher (it's heavier) but less compliant?

Schwalbe Sammy Slick - Seems to do everything I want, but looks like the 26 may no longer be available?

Michelin Country Rock - have heard this is a good "all around" tire that works in many conditions and the tread pattern looks like it could work well, but unclear as to whether it's any good in gravelly/muddy conditions?

Thoughts/opinions? Am I missing some good contenders?
Did you ever choose?

I see the Schwalbe is still available in 26" on Amazon. Looks like it may be my next front tire. I went with a 1.9 Conti Double Fighter III on the rear, which is fine for a rear, but it does have steel beads, so the rotational weight is increased from what it could be. I certainly wouldn't use the same tire on the front unless all I was doing was actual gravel roads - my paths mix to pure hard-pack sand roads, and sand/dirt singletrack, so I need a few more knobby studs than the DFIII has for steering.
Old 03-05-19, 04:50 PM
24/7biker

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Kenda Happy Medium would be my choice. You can get it in a 2.0 or 2.35, probably a lot lighter than some of touring type tires.
Old 03-05-19, 05:44 PM
tangerineowl

Bikes: Curve Grovel v2 ti

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 73 Posts
https://www.bike24.com/1.php?__qf_pr...%5D%5B445%5D=1

Some ideas there.
Old 03-07-19, 12:02 AM
AusTexMurf

Bikes: 2010 Origin8 CX700, 2003 Cannondale Backroads Cross Country, 1997 Trek mtn steel frame converted commuter/tourer, 1983 Univega Sportour, 2010 Surly LHT, Others...

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by IslandTimePE
I used these on my rigid frame/fork 26" gravel bike this year. Continental Travel Contacts:

Continental Travel Contact Trekking Tyre | Chain Reaction Cycles

Put 1000 + km on them, 90% on gravel and dirt roads, including riding D2R2. Not a light tire, but I found them to roll fairly well. They have good traction in everything but deep sand. And very durable. Not a single flat, not even any noticeable cuts in the rubber.
Ditto on the Continental Travel Contacts. I have two pairs in 26" size, 1.75 and 2.0's. Very durable and versatile tire. No flats. Also have a pair of them on a 700c bike.

Schwalbe Hurricanes are affordable and roll well. No flat issues with them, either. https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...e/rp-prod36216

I recently installed a set of Continental Traffic 26X2.0 on my 92 MB3. So far, so good. Affordable tire, too. Got them on sale for $23 each.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...xoCHtEQAvD_BwE
Old 11-02-20, 07:11 AM
Mambo Dave

Bikes: Dawes, Jamis, Gardin, Can-o-ale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In the end I went for another Double Fighter III for the front, and have been very happy with it. Turns out that cornering on gravel just isn't quite a thing I needed as much since this area has mostly very long straight sections of gravel.
Old 11-07-20, 07:38 PM
pbechard

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My friends love the Panracer Gravel King 700x38 for the rides we do. Smooth enough for the tarmac, but aggressive enough if you get off the packed gravel trails. I'll probably get a set in time too.