Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

commuter backpack

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

commuter backpack

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-11, 10:43 AM
kleinsamuel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
commuter backpack

I am looking for a backpack for commuting to work around 12 miles a way. I don't want any kind of hydration system and don't really need a special pocket for a laptop but I want something that will absorb sweat and breath ( have air pockets ).

I used to have panniers but I changed to a road bike and I don't want to put a rack on it.

I would use it mostly for my daily commute so i would need room for change of clothes food and other stuff
Old 05-04-11, 11:02 AM
jazzisblue

Bikes: generic single speed with drop handlebars

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm in the market for a backpack also. I went to a local outdoors store the other day and I was loving Osprey Packs. They had a mesh back so air could flow between your back and the bag. If I could afford to drop $200 I would have bought it. I'm looking around online now and they have some lower priced packs but I'm not sure if they have the same construction.
Old 05-04-11, 11:16 AM
NYRhyme

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I personally use a northface hotshot bag. It's reasonably large enough for my laptop, tower and clothes, locks, some pencils opens, folders and books. My bag when it's full weights 20 lbs on top of my 185lbs. Technically i'm over 200lbs when i'm biking so I don't feel the northface wearing out my back that bad. The northface hotshot also contours to your body and is has breathable areas when it's strapped to your back.
Old 05-04-11, 11:27 AM
monsterkidz
monster

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a Kelty Redwing Backpack 3100 and love it. For years I've used bike specific bags, Timbuktu, Chrome Messenger Bag, Chrome Backpack and the Kelty works better (for me) than them all and is cheaper.
Old 05-04-11, 11:33 AM
justadude

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I ride with a NorthFace day pack purchased about 2 years ago from Marshalls (clearance merchandise retailer) for around $30. It has The North Face and name Mentor stiched onto it. Its best features are adjustable padded shoulder straps and back. The best part is: where it's padded, the material is a soft synthetic that absorbs perspiration and then dries quickly, and doesn't chafe or cause friction. I also two side pockets apparently designed for water bottles, which I can reach without removing the pack.
Old 05-04-11, 11:37 AM
kleinsamuel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzisblue
If I could afford to drop $200 I would have bought it.
No i want to pay way less then that
Old 05-04-11, 11:41 AM
icyj
Another MN Bike Commuter

Bikes: 2015 Trek Crockett / 2013 Trek Domane / 2014 Framed MN1.0

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride a 30 mile (round trip) commute. I use the Camelback Alpine Explorer. I removed the water pouch/straw. The things I like about it is that it has the front harnesses, lots of padding, and the "air-director" system that keeps air flowing between the pack and your back. It also has two pouches on either side for additional water bottles.

It holds my laptop (full size), laptop accessories (power cord, mouse, etc.), tool bag, clothes for the day, other personal items (pens, pencils, eye drops, deodorant,spare eye glasses, phone charger, etc.), and lunch!
Old 05-04-11, 11:50 AM
groovestew

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
I use a Deuter Trans Alpine 30. It has channels for back airflow, but I still get sweaty. Great pack otherwise, seems to disappear on my back even with 15 lbs of stuff in it. Paid $100 (Canadian) 2 years ago.
Old 05-04-11, 11:55 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 525 Post(s)
Quoted: 3230 Post(s)
Liked 3,868 Times in 1,439 Posts
I've got a Novara Commuter backpack from REI, and I'm very happy with it. It has a lot of pockets and compartments for organizing various things and keeping clean and messy stuff separate. It has chest and waist straps for stability. It has raised, padded ridges on the back of the pack that I would guess are supposed to create a ventilation channel. (I haven't used it in warm weather yet, so it's hard to say how well that works.) It has a rain cover that tucks away neatly into its own pocket at the bottom. It's very comfortable. It's bright yellow, but not hi-vis.
Old 05-04-11, 11:59 AM
AlmostGreenGuy
Intrepid Bicycle Commuter

Bikes: 1976 Motobecane Grand Jubile, Austro Daimler 'Ultima', 2012 Salsa Vaya, 2009 Trek 4300, Fyxation Eastside, State Matte Black 6, '97 Trek 930 SHX, '93 Specialized Rockhopper, 1990 Trek 950

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 34 Posts
I absolutely love my Dakine Apex backpack. It looks awesome. It's small, but can easily handle very large loads. It's a cycling specific pack, so it fits properly when riding a bike. It has a dedicated helmet holder. It's made for mountain biking, so it's durable as all hell. The waist belt is removable. It breathes well. It also ships with a hydration bladder, which I can install when I go mountain biking. It has tons of pockets, both inside and outside. This pack has been refined continuously for years, and it shows it. A very well thought out pack. Between the helmet pocket and the lashing straps on the bottom of the pack, you wouldn't believe how much this pack can carry when needed.

https://www.dakine.com/bike/packs/apex/

Old 05-04-11, 12:01 PM
bhop

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Jamis Sputnik

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What's your budget? I've noticed that any 'breathable' pack will cost you.
Old 05-04-11, 12:06 PM
kleinsamuel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bhop
What's your budget? I've noticed that any 'breathable' pack will cost you.
I am not sure. I guess the less the better I dont need top of the line but still something 'breathable'
Old 05-04-11, 12:22 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12762 Post(s)
Liked 7,675 Times in 4,072 Posts
Suspended mesh backs are awesome. Sternum straps are crucial as well, IMO. I wish I would've bought two of my Marmot Zephyr packs when they were still available.

I'd probably check out the Marmot Ukiah 28 if I was in the market right now. MSRP $120 is higher than I like, though. My Zephyr was about $80.

Last edited by LesterOfPuppets; 05-04-11 at 12:29 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 01:26 PM
exile

Bikes: Workcycles FR8, 2016 Jamis Coda Comp, 2008 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I bought a Jansport Revolt 32 from an outlet store for about $30. It has some egg crate design on the back for air flow and the shoulder straps padding has small air vents. Seems okay but I still get a sweaty back when I wear it for a few miles. However, my clothing is usually layered.
Old 05-04-11, 01:32 PM
WalksOn2Wheels
Vain, But Lacking Talent

Bikes: Trek Domane 5.9 DA 9000, Trek Crockett Pink Frosting w/105 5700

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1525 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 42 Posts
Almostgreen guy really likes his Dakine and is reasonably priced. I really love my Osprey Talon 22 and it only runs 100 dollars. I commute 7 miles one way with it.
Old 05-04-11, 03:26 PM
geetlord

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know you dont want a hydration pack, but I use a camelbak HOSS. The back is well ventilated and the main pocket is waterproof. I rarely use the hydration bladder with it.
Old 05-04-11, 04:27 PM
NBYRDR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Andy_K
I've got a Novara Commuter backpack from REI, and I'm very happy with it. It has a lot of pockets and compartments for organizing various things and keeping clean and messy stuff separate. It has chest and waist straps for stability. It has raised, padded ridges on the back of the pack that I would guess are supposed to create a ventilation channel. (I haven't used it in warm weather yet, so it's hard to say how well that works.) It has a rain cover that tucks away neatly into its own pocket at the bottom. It's very comfortable. It's bright yellow, but not hi-vis.
I have the same back and love it. Ditto on everything above. Enough room for a change of cloths, shoes, and a small lunch bag.
Old 05-04-11, 04:55 PM
Novasteve74

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd been commuting with my trusty, old LL Bean backpack for about a month after my timbuk2 messenger bag was deemed too small and uncomfortable for my 27 mile RT commute. I'd had the LL Bean backpack since the 7th grade (I've been out of college for a year now ) so it was definitely bulletproof. Most of the zippers were toast and the fabric was wearing thin, not to mention it wasn't the least bit waterproof and definitely wasn't built for cycling as it was pretty uncomfortable.
I opted for another Timbuk2 bag as I liked my messenger's build quality and organization but wanted a 2 strap, so I went for their medium Hemlock (also because I got it on clearance for $59). This thing is pretty awesome. It's gigantic, and I haven't been able to fill it to maximum capacity. I can barely feel the weight and the straps are very comfortable. It's a simple pack, so one main giant compartment and a few organizational pockets in the front pouch. The roll top will be useful once I have some extra stuff I want to carry home. As far as breathability, I'm not really sure, as I get sweaty with or without a backpack during my commute.
Personally, if I had a bunch of money to drop, I would've gone with the Mission Workshop Vandal, but at $269, it's a nice chunk of change. I guess my choices are pretty close to being within the hipster crowd, but I guarantee you I commute on a CX bike and am building a drop-bar MTB, and both of them have black tires ......

Last edited by Novasteve74; 05-04-11 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 04:57 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
When you wear a backpack, you're going to have a sweaty back. Some packs just do a better job of managing and/or minimizing sweat better than others.
Old 05-04-11, 06:41 PM
Ishii

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Osprey has some packs that are very breathable. The only part against you back is mesh, it holds the pack away from your back so there is a large space for air flow. They aren't made for biking but they are pretty nice and really light weight.
Old 05-04-11, 07:16 PM
themothman421

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love my chrome metropolis bag, it fits anything and everything.
Old 05-04-11, 07:37 PM
swwhite

Bikes: Trek 4300

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding price, and how much quality one "needs," I started out with a ten-dollar backpack from Office Depot, moved to a sort of shoulder-bag suitcase thing not designed for biking, and then got an Ortlieb messenger backpack. I wear clothing from the Army surplus store, but I'm really glad I went somewhat "high-end" on the backpack. For some critical items of gear, it is worth it to spend some money.

On the other hand, the Ortlieb is so well-made and so expensive, that I should be retired before I have to (or get to) replace it. So if you're going high-end, choose carefully.
Old 05-04-11, 08:01 PM
dwellman
Godbotherer

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR300 (full SRAM Apex) 1996 Cannondale R800 (Full SRAM Rival), 1997 Cannondale R200 (Shimano Tiagra), 2012 Cannondale CAAD 10-5, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1 (SRAM Force)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have two: a High Sierra Access pack https://hssc.com/product?number=5462&lang=en (built in rain fly)

and a GoLite Lite-Speed pack https://www.golite.com/product/prodde...x?p=PA5255&s=1 (can hold 70oz bladder, but I never have used one))

The Golite cinches down to a very slim profile, but its an ultra light trekker, not a day pack, per se -- fantastic running pack, though.

The Access pack has a very well padded laptop compartment which adds to the weight and sacrifices some interior space. It has a LOT of compartments and nooks and crannies. It has fairly decent ventilation on the back, I can fit a weeks worth of clothes plus computer, phone, spare cables, whatnot. However, too many nooks and crannies get kind of frustrating and the pack and kind of on the heavy side (I paid $27 for it).

Big fan of GoLite, of course. I like the Marmot packs too. Its a toss up really. . . GoLite V024. . .slightly cheaper and almost half the weight (like it's not even there). If I didn't already have a Lite-Speed (twice as big as the V024), I'd get this.

EDIT II: Oh, I forgot to mention the waist/hip belt pockets are sizable and extremely convenient. The belt is also detachable .

EDIT III: Also, the side pockets are actually quite small. The photo makes them look bigger than they are. And theres no way they could hold normal water bottles securely. It's a 1600 cu pack.

Last edited by dwellman; 05-05-11 at 05:17 AM. Reason: amend to cmore clearly address OP
Old 05-04-11, 10:55 PM
Ipedaltahoe

Bikes: Motobecane Single Speed, Trek Mountain Track Xtracycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Go to REI and check out their packs, they have many at different price levels, you can fill them with sandbags to test wieght and if after you use it and dont like it you can return and get something different. I bought a pack that I was sure I was going to love, hated it and never used it. A year later I took it back and exchanged it for something I do love, when I use a back its what I use when I ride as it is contoured, has breathable back and rain cover built in. Otherwise I go timbuk 2 messenger which I love.
Old 05-05-11, 12:24 PM
hairlessbill
Daily Rider

Bikes: 89 Bridgestone MB-3, 93 Bridgestone RB-1,93 Bridgestone MB-1, 95 Klein Fervor, 02 BikeE AT, 06 Surly Cross-check, 8? Schwinn Frontier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Any backpack is going to make your back sweat more than no backpack. If you do not need to carry a laptop (a wise choice) then get a backpack with as narrow a 'backprint' as possible and keep the pack small - around 20L or less. Breathable backpack is a contradiction in terms.
1993BstoneRB1
2007IROSSBFGS
1986PanasonicDX4000
2014E-JOE

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.