Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

cop killer on loose and i get pulled for running stop sign

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

cop killer on loose and i get pulled for running stop sign

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-13, 10:03 AM
bhtooefr

Bikes: 2002 Dahon Boardwalk 1, 2003 Sun EZ-Sport Limited, 2011 TerraTrike Path 8, 2018 Gazelle Arroyo C8 HMB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Christopher Dorner
Cyclist, I have no problem sharing the road with you. But, at least go the ****ing speed limit posted or get off the road!!! That is a feasible request. Livestrong you fraudulent ********.
He didn't say he'd kill cyclists, though.

But, seriously, I'm surprised you didn't get a ticket for the maximum fine for being that much of a dick about it. Be glad you only got off with a warning.
Old 02-10-13, 10:06 AM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by 009jim
A track stand must at some point require you to be stopped. Stopped means zero velocity. If you were going forward one instant of time and reverse at the next instant, you must have stopped at the instant in between. Basic high school physics (at least it was when I was in high school, hehe).
Funny part is, track stand is not a full stop, legally speaking. Thank you for the lesson. Physics 101 never taught me that.
Old 02-10-13, 10:17 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,694 Times in 2,516 Posts
I don't see any reason why a track stand wouldn't be a full stop. They don't require a motorist to open the door and put their foot down on the ground, although sometimes I feel it would be a good idea
Old 02-10-13, 10:44 AM
david58

Bikes: Fuji Cross Comp, BMC SR02, Surly Krampas

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by linus
Funny part is, track stand is not a full stop, legally speaking. Thank you for the lesson. Physics 101 never taught me that.
What about a track stand isn't a legal stop?
Old 02-10-13, 10:59 AM
GrouchoWretch
Slob

Bikes: 1970s AMF Roadmaster 3 speed, Bianchi Volpe, 2012 GT Zum City

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nobody seriously thinks that stop signs and stoplights and all the attendant laws and customs were developed for bicycle traffic, or that they would be how they are if everyone got around by bike.

Of course, this doesn't mean a cyclist should blow intersections without looking or touching the brakes, no matter who has right of way. But there's the letter of the law, and there's the spirit of the law, and I remain skeptical of the idea that it is constructive for police to issue tickets to cyclists just for failing to come to a technically full and complete stop with the foot on the ground or whatever. Just seems like a dumb waste of time verging on harassment of cyclists.
Old 02-10-13, 12:09 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by gmt13
Completely unrelated to your situation. Why would you expect that the police would drop all other enforcement patrols to focus on the fugitive cop killer?

-G
Because that is what they said they would do, unless of course you think that rolling a stop sign is a serious felony call.

canceled all motor cycle patrols, cancelled all DUI check points and have told the public they won't respond to low priority calls in order to reduce exposure.
as noted in OP
Old 02-10-13, 12:28 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Shoot up second blue truck.

https://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...,3955268.story
Old 02-10-13, 01:05 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by CB HI
Because that is what they said they would do, unless of course you think that rolling a stop sign is a serious felony call.

as noted in OP
Wow, such an easy jump to accept the OP interpretation of some statement made by someone to mean that only felony crimes would get any response.

I could not find any press statements by LAPD or Torrance PD to that says what the OP described. I'd expect that the police would modify the way they patrol, and this may be what was filtered through the news channels, but there is no way that the police would give an official invitation to minor scofflaws to do their thing without threat of enforcement.

-G
Old 02-10-13, 01:46 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
I think I've only seen one track stand by a cyclist that was really stopped. All the others were just slow forward motion with the front wheel wiggling. I always stop, but never put a foot down on my Trident Stowaway II.
Old 02-10-13, 01:47 PM
Dchiefransom

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I'd go to the DA and file a criminal complaint.
Old 02-10-13, 03:59 PM
JoeyBike
20+mph Commuter

Bikes: Surly LHT, Surly Lowside, a folding bike, and a beater.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1434 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 219 Posts
Originally Posted by Angio Graham
I said "i run them all the time, no reason to stop now".
Just smile and wave boys, smile and wave. - Good advice from Madagascar (the movie) and New Orleans (the city).

Everything you said would have earned you a stay in a holding cell and perhaps a mild thrashing in NOLA. Oh...and a ticket to the courthouse (otherwise known as a citation).
Old 02-10-13, 04:50 PM
Old Sarge

Bikes: Specialized Expedition Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by vol
Frankly, I'm surprised such wits was shown by a cop. Is it a true story? Some doubt here...
During my forty-five years of law enforcement I heard this story, and similar ones, many times. And have heard officers use similar analogies. Basically, I think this is apocryphal but close to the truth.
Old 02-10-13, 06:11 PM
Myosmith
Lover of Old Chrome Moly

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 17 Posts
I have never yet had a LEO give me so much as a dirty look as long as I slowed down to where I could have stopped and looked both ways before proceeding. I've even had a cop wave a group ride through a stop sign at an otherwise empty intersection. I don't come to a full stop at every stop sign and light but I realize that I'm breaking the law and if I get tagged for it, its on me, not the cop. Its no different than when I'm driving over the speed limit on a wide open, arrow-straight rural highway with virtually no other traffic. Honestly, most cops are pretty decent guys and don't want to write a bunch of BS tickets any more than you want to get them.

Last edited by Myosmith; 02-10-13 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-10-13, 06:29 PM
gcottay

Bikes: Trice Q; Volae Century; TT 3.4

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Angio, thanks for this report of calm and reasonable cops. They tend to deal with so many rude and unreasonable people it's pretty easy for them to get reactive.

You may find it useful to reflect on the usefulness of your own behavior and make any changes you find appropriate. We can all make fools of ourselves but learning from mistakes enhances the quality of life.
Old 02-10-13, 09:06 PM
Angio Graham
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeyBike

Everything you said would have earned you a stay in a holding cell and perhaps a mild thrashing in NOLA. Oh...and a ticket to the courthouse (otherwise known as a citation).
Given the police state that America has become and the history of new orleans and their utter police and political corruption i dont doubt what you say.
Old 02-10-13, 10:25 PM
linus
Crawler

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by david58
You need to take your foot down.
Old 02-10-13, 10:59 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by gcottay
Angio, thanks for this report of calm and reasonable cops. They tend to deal with so many rude and unreasonable people it's pretty easy for them to get reactive.

You may find it useful to reflect on the usefulness of your own behavior and make any changes you find appropriate. We can all make fools of ourselves but learning from mistakes enhances the quality of life.
Very nice back handed slap at the OP.
Old 02-10-13, 11:03 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Originally Posted by linus
You need to take your foot down.
Maybe in Toronto, can you show a law that says such. There are no USA laws that I have ever read that say such.
Old 02-10-13, 11:55 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Wow, such an easy jump to accept the OP interpretation of some statement made by someone to mean that only felony crimes would get any response.

I could not find any press statements by LAPD or Torrance PD to that says what the OP described. I'd expect that the police would modify the way they patrol, and this may be what was filtered through the news channels, but there is no way that the police would give an official invitation to minor scofflaws to do their thing without threat of enforcement.

-G
Look just a little bit harder.
LAPD remains on modified tactical alert, responding only to priority calls and not to those for lesser issues such as public intoxication or business disputes.
https://www.clarionledger.com/viewart...topher-Dorner-

Not to mention, it is happening in several large cities, including ones that are not even hunting cop killers.
https://news.msn.com/us/chicago-polic...-all-911-calls

Check around you can find more.
Old 02-11-13, 11:23 AM
gmt13
Half way there

Bikes: 69 Hercules, 73 Raleigh Sports, 74 Raliegh Competition, 78 Nishiki Professional, 79 Nishiki International, 83 Colnago Super, 83 Viner Junior

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Look just a little bit harder.
https://www.clarionledger.com/viewart...topher-Dorner-

Not to mention, it is happening in several large cities, including ones that are not even hunting cop killers.
https://news.msn.com/us/chicago-polic...-all-911-calls

Check around you can find more.
As I said in my post, "I'd expect that the police would modify the way they patrol, and this may be what was filtered through the news channels"

And then you provide news links to back up my statement. Gee thanks, but there really was no need. Let me know if you find official statements.

-G
Old 02-11-13, 02:12 PM
kmv2

Bikes: Bianchi circa late 1980s, Surly Cross Check, Kona Blast

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Dick move by OP
Old 02-11-13, 03:33 PM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Which explains why you weren't pepper sprayed, tazed and handcuffed on the ground with a riot gun to your head.
so true.
Old 02-11-13, 04:12 PM
lostarchitect 
incazzare.

Bikes: See sig

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 38 Posts
I roll stops all the time (note, roll, not run) , but if I get a ticket I will accept it and not whine. After all, it's against the law. I may not care, but it's still against the law. OP, just suck it up and move on.
Old 02-11-13, 04:17 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

As I said in my post, "I'd expect that the police would modify the way they patrol, and this may be what was filtered through the news channels"

And then you provide news links to back up my statement. Gee thanks, but there really was no need. Let me know if you find official statements.

-G
Maybe you do not realize official statements are often made verbally to the news media. The OP lives in the area and is more likely to see such video that often never makes it national. Do you really expect them to write and internet post everything?
Old 02-11-13, 08:43 PM
gmt13
Half way there

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe you do not realize official statements are often made verbally to the news media. The OP lives in the area and is more likely to see such video that often never makes it national. Do you really expect them to write and internet post everything?
Oh sorry, I think I get it now:

1. Official statements are never made directly. They are somehow told to the press who then interpret and publish.
2. The real stories behind national news are only broadcast locally.
3. Not every official statement is actually written down anywhere.

Call me enlightened. I appreciate the new perception. I have actually seen many more motorists out taking advantage of the moratorium on enforcement. Perhaps they revel in behaving like the fantasy cyclists they secretly envy.

-G

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.